Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Early Play On Illegal Forza, Borderlands Resulting In Permabans

http://www.imagebeast.net/images/re7...g8vmy7i1lz.jpg

Illegitimately obtained early copies of Forza Motorsport 3 or Borderlands being played on Xbox Live have resulted in permabans for the accounts of offending players, Microsoft has confirmed.

The Microsoft chief of police Stephen Toulouse has said that his enforcement team is inspecting early play and applying permabans only to those with illegitimately obtained early copies of either game. Those who got their copy because a retailer broke street date are safe, Stepto says.

“Don’t worry folks, anyone who bought a copy early is ok. In general, if you got a receipt, play away. These are illegit copies we’re hitting,” Toulouse tweeted today.

Reader SK sent us that screengrab and basically admitted he visited a bootlegger with a Forza 3 copy. After getting his 360 modded, he played it for five days before getting banz0red.

“I called another friend who went in on Wednesday to pick up a copy and get his box done too, and he also received a ban for the same reason,” says SK. However, SK says the permaban is account only, not console specific. “I made a new XBL account and was back up and running (minus playing F3, of course) within an hour.”
    Early Play On Illegal Forza, Borderlands Resulting In Permabans | Kotaku Australia

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Ravenholdt

Bout time.

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Good for MS. Ban em less idiots online.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

excellent

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Honestly, if you have a modded 360, and wish to play the games early, do yourself the favor of disconnecting yourself from xbl and unplugging your hdd, it's seriously not that hard. 'Bout time these idiots who don't know how to properly do shit right get what's coming to them. Off to play borderlands and not get banned.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsuki View Post
    Honestly, if you have a modded 360, and wish to play the games early, do yourself the favor of disconnecting yourself from xbl and unplugging your hdd, it's seriously not that hard. 'Bout time these idiots who don't know how to properly do shit right get what's coming to them. Off to play borderlands and not get banned.
    Except it's been well documented that they can still flag your Xbox for banning by storing that information in the system's NVRAM, which means unless you never sign on to XBL again, you'll still get banned. I'm afraid your "I'll just unplug the cable and disconnect the HDD" tactic won't work.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post
    Except it's been well documented that they can still flag your Xbox for banning by storing that information in the system's NVRAM, which means unless you never sign on to XBL again, you'll still get banned. I'm afraid your "I'll just unplug the cable and disconnect the HDD" tactic won't work.
    Be a man, use two separate consoles for online and offline play.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    Be a man, use two separate consoles for online and offline play.

Eh the way I look at it, hacking your Xbox practically pays for itself by the time you would have bought 3 or 4 games. So if you get the banhammer just buy a new box and say you woulda spent the money on games anyway

Relic Shield
    BG Level

OFN. All you have to do is read -any- forum about Xbox 360 modding and they'll tell you the stupidest thing you can possibly do is play games before they're officially launched. Coupled with the fact it's probably Microsoft themselves who leaked the game (or they put extra protection into the discs - there's nothing saying they couldn't have changed some methods involved in the verification of discs) you're just asking for trouble.

The fact is, they're no longer banning just your console, but also your ID, meaning you'll lose all your DLCs, Arcade Titles and whatever else you have linked to your account. Completely pointless. Just wait a while longer and don't suffer the consequences.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I modded my xbox like 2 weeks ago and i already have like 20 games.... ill take my banning if it comes and pick up another xbox arcade for online play if i need to.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

stupidest thing you can possibly do is play games before they're officially launched
    I think the thread can end on that note because it doesn't get much more simple than that folks. Don't be stupid. Play it on a friend's 360!!

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by BrillCS View Post
    I think the thread can end on that note because it doesn't get much more simple than that folks. Don't be stupid. Play it on a friend's 360!!
    Well I had Madden about 2 weeks before if came out, but it was a disc so.

Tyven's Xbax Fren
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Korgath

I never really understood why people can't wait to play the games until they are released.

Seriously, paying extra money to mod your xbox just because you aren't patient is stupid.

Figure the only reason to mod/pirate anything is because it costs less, not because you're impatient.

However, the guy who said to play it on a friend's 360 is spot on. Just make sure you never want to see that person again.