+ Reply to Thread
    New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Windows 7 Upgrade question

If this post is inappropriate, i do apologize.

I'm pretty sure i'm answering my own question, however, I was wondering if I upgrade my version of windows XP (of questionable legality) to windows 7 with a legit copy, would i run into problems with WGA or anything of the sort? I would like to go about things on the greener side of the fence from now on....

Thanks in advance

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

You can't upgrade from XP > 7 iirc. Vista ver. > Win 7 only. Unless something has changed.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Needs to be legal in order to upgrade. XP you can use an upgrade on, but it will reformat your disk.

Windows 7 Upgrade Paths

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Hmm, the formatting doesnt bother me at all really. I guess I need to rethink my options now. Like find someone with MSDNAA access or fork over a sh**-ton of loot for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ermac View Post
    Hmm, the formatting doesnt bother me at all really. I guess I need to rethink my options now. Like find someone with MSDNAA access or fork over a sh**-ton of loot for this.
    could always check ebay there where tones of ppl selling off their MSDNAA keys about a month back for 20-35$ each whitch is still a hell of alot cheaper then paying 100+.could check if thats still happening

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Calina View Post
    could always check ebay there where tones of ppl selling off their MSDNAA keys about a month back for 20-35$ each whitch is still a hell of alot cheaper then paying 100+.could check if thats still happening
    I find it really hard to try and trust something like that.... isnt that illegal in itself anyway?

I'd almost sooner trust someone on this site than ebay lol

Edit:

Also what the hell version is the right version?.... I see RTM, RC, OEM, Retail, etc....

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Ermac View Post
    If this post is inappropriate, i do apologize.

I'm pretty sure i'm answering my own question, however, I was wondering if I upgrade my version of windows XP (of questionable legality) to windows 7 with a legit copy, would i run into problems with WGA or anything of the sort? I would like to go about things on the greener side of the fence from now on....

Thanks in advance
    It'll allow you to upgrade as long as your version of XP qualifies as genuine. It does an online check 1st. And as stated before, will require format and may ask you to uninstall a couple of programs. Upgraded from Vista Home Pre to 7 Home Pre today and it asked me to uninstall some game that came w/ my laptop as well as the Catalyst Manager though it installed the updated version for 7 once it was done. Overall took about 2.5-3hr.