Valefor

Judge Accepts BBQ Chicken in lieu of Community Service Hours

This is just too damned funny to not repost:

Court accepts barbecue chicken instead of community service
    Judge in hot water after unusual deal

By Steve Schmadeke
    Tribune reporter
    October 29, 2009

A Will County judge says he's eating his words after accepting a tray of jerk chicken as a substitute for a man's sentence of 100 community service hours.

The local legal community has been abuzz since Associate Judge Robert Livas accepted the Jamaican-style chicken from Darrius Logan this month over an objection from a prosecutor. Logan, 24, pleaded guilty last year to misdemeanor battery and criminal trespass charges after an incident in Joliet.

Logan told the judge in August he performed his community service by working 100 unpaid hours at Uncle Joe's Jerk Chicken, a popular Jamaican restaurant chain on Chicago's South Side. According to court transcripts, the judge told Logan to return in two months with either proof that he had completed the service hours elsewhere or with enough spiced chicken to feed the courtroom.

Livas said he was surprised Oct. 6 when Logan carried in a tray of Uncle Joe's jerk chicken, bread and two sides of hot sauce.

Livas, a former prosecutor and Chicago police officer, said it was simply a joke gone awry.

"A defendant took something I said as a joke literally," Livas said. "It forced me to keep my word and accept his original (community service) letter. I give him credit -- he made me eat my words.

"Last year I'm getting the judge of the year award from the Illinois State Crime Commission," he said, laughing. "And here now I'm answering questions about barbecue chicken."

Gerald Kinney, chief judge of the 12th Judicial Circuit, didn't find the incident as humorous, saying in a statement that it "has been referred for review to the appropriate agency." The state's judicial inquiry board, which investigates allegations of judicial misconduct, did not comment. Legal experts called the judge's actions "flagrant," with one saying it was at least a minor violation of the judicial code of conduct.

There are differing accounts on whether the judge ate any of the seasoned bird. Livas said he took a piece, carried it from the courtroom, but did not eat it. The prosecutor -- who took a piece after Livas encouraged her to try it -- said the judge ate some, too, said state's attorney's office spokesman Charles Pelkie.

According to a transcript of the electronically recorded Aug. 4 hearing, Livas had said, "If you walk in with enough chicken to feed everybody, I'll accept these community service hours. If you don't, I'm not taking any of them."

"Does that come with slaw?" the judge later asked, according to the transcript.

"No," Logan replied. "It's just -- it's barbecue chicken, actually."

"That's great stuff," Livas said, later adding, "If you walk around there and feed everybody, it's going to be OK."

Reached by phone, Logan said he spent $50 to do what the judge asked. "He told me to bring him some chicken, so that's what I had to do," said Logan, who was representing himself.

Court records say Livas accepted the chicken over the objections of Assistant State's Attorney Sondra Denmark. She told her bosses, who called the chief judge that day, Pelkie said.

"She did not understand how he could accept food in lieu of community service work," Pelkie said.

On Oct. 6, Logan carried the chicken past security up to the third-floor courtroom of Associate Judge Marzell Richardson, who, after asking a series of seemingly puzzled questions ("You brought a tray of chicken?" "And that was going to satisfy your community service work?"), sent him to Livas' courtroom, according to a transcript.

"I was so nervous about bringing it in here, though, because I knew everybody was going to laugh at me," Logan told Livas, according to the transcript.

The one-page transcript ends abruptly before Livas accepts the food or Denmark objects. Pelkie said the judge pushed a button that stops the recording. "Thank you so much for bringing it," Livas says before it ends.

"This was a stupid mistake for the judge to make," said DePaul University law professor Jeffrey Shaman. "It's perhaps a minor violation. But ... it makes a mockery of what judges are supposed to do."
    Laughing my ass off at this.

And before anyone asks, I can't find a photo of the judge...

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

No photo needed, we know the deal. Man for good jerk Chicken id probably let shit slide too.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Somehow I knew Miz would be the first one to respond to this

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I would have thought it would be from the south, we take our chicken serious in the real south, not fucking texas.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Now all Stiker has to do is offer Miz a chicken platter and all the Ratliff shit is forgiven.

The world makes sense.

In other news, Mr. Livas was quoted as saying "at least I have chicken".

Sponsored by Orton
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo View Post
    I would have thought it would be from the south, we take our chicken serious in the real south, not fucking texas.
    This happened in the Chicago area oddly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    Now all Stiker has to do is offer Miz a chicken platter and all the Ratliff shit is forgiven.

The world makes sense.
    Only if I serve it with Cherrwine.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post
    Somehow I knew Miz would be the first one to respond to this
    ROFL

I pullout to go pee.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Winterhoof

Oh if this only happened in the South... Imagine how much bigger it would be.

Since there isn't a food forum here, can anyone recommend a good recipe or brand of jerk sauce?

All the immediate results on Google as far as recipes go are for rubs, and I'm more interested in an honest marinade or last-minute added sauce.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

They eat jerk chicken in the souf?

I pullout to go pee.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Winterhoof

Quote Originally Posted by MrW View Post
    We eat all chicken in the south lol

Sponsored by Orton
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by bechyni View Post
    We eat all chicken in the south lol
    This is the correct answer.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Hungry now.

Ryko's Full of Lies and Johns
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ryuu Akaneiro
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Dunemaul

Fuck, want jerk chicken. Shit's too pro.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by MrW View Post
    Is FLA not in the south now?

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

Jerk chicken is nice, curry goat prevails. Anyways. If this aint a nigga, I'd be awesomely surprised. I'm tryin to move there now. For real? Chicken = no service? I'd be all over that.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I'll be sentenced to do Community Service soon myself, I'll see if I can get out of it with pork BBQ. (NC thing)

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    I'll be sentenced to do Community Service soon myself, I'll see if I can get out of it with pork BBQ. (NC thing)
    Oh a fool would turn down Carolina pulled pork.

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mizango View Post
    Oh a fool would turn down Carolina pulled pork.
    A fool and a traitor.