BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

https://www.amazon.com/Collapsing-Em...ds=john+scalzi

Released today. Starting it when I get home.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Nice, looks solid; just bought as well.

E. Body
    BG Level

Can anyone please tell me, The Wheel of Time folks said it's good up til 7. Does it have an ending then, or does the actual story keep continuing? On the fifth one now. I'd look it up, but don't wanna spoil anything.

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Books 7-10 is a few paragraphs of plot and several thousand pages of author-character masturbation. Perfectly reasonable to grab the annotations.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

The last book was a whole lot better than I expected. Except for the very end.

I picked up John Dies at the End, havent started it yet.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Also finished Blood Meridian. That was pretty nuts.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Iono View Post
    Can anyone please tell me, The Wheel of Time folks said it's good up til 7. Does it have an ending then, or does the actual story keep continuing? On the fifth one now. I'd look it up, but don't wanna spoil anything.
    I mean, if you like to read and have a good reading speed, you might as well read through 7-10. But they are quite a bit slow and sometimes quite boring and difficult to slog through though. If say try to read it but of you can't make it further, maybe look for a plot synopsis for the book you can't get through. Personally I don't think it's THAT horrible.

And there are 14 books total, plus another prequal book.

I finished the 2nd Lightbringer book a few days ago. It wasn't bad. Taking a break from it before going to the third though to read the Warhammer 40k Forges of Mars omnibus.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aumaan Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Iono View Post
    The middle books are definitely slow- I'd argue Lord of Chaos would be where it starts, but most people give it a pass because it has such an excellent sequence at the end. Something similar happens in one of the other books in that range but it doesn't get the same pass because people were grumpier by then, heh. Also I'd argue that while it gets slow a book earlier than most people claim, it also speeds back up a book earlier- Jordan's last complete book, Knife of Dreams, is a huge break from the previous few speedwise. It seems likely that he's decided at this point (for health reasons or otherwise) that it's time to get to the ending, and some of these subplots Have Got To Go. So the series sort of splits 5/5/4 as fast/slow/fast, which is not all that surprising if you think about middle-book syndrome in trilogies. It's just that this middle book is something like four thousand pages long...

Something I think is worth pointing out, though, is that while the middle books do drag, it's not nearly as bad now as some people make it. It WAS that bad when there was a year or two (or three) wait between volumes, and you just finished off a huge block of a book and then realized your favorite character didn't appear at all, or it spent half its pages on what was abbreviated at the time as the PLOD- the PlotLine of Doom. The PLOD was sufficiently tedious that even a decent payoff didn't salvage it, but when you can just move on to the next book immediately, it helps, especially since the prologues tend to be some of the best bits in that book range. When you've got the whole thing available, skimming through the character arcs that don't appeal to you is a perfectly viable strategy also. Skipping them entirely and doing synopsis stuff is an option, but you'd definitely miss some things- Rand's arc in particular does important things in there, even if it does them slowly, and you'd miss some of Mat's better events too, especially since his characterization takes I think the biggest hit in the Sanderson books, especially the first one.

E. Body
    BG Level

Awesome, ty all! I think I read fast enough to where I can knock em out either way.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Collapsing-Em...ds=john+scalzi

Released today. Starting it when I get home.
    Finished this last night; loved it. One of my favorite books since Red Rising.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Stormlight Archives Book 2
    Spoiler: show
    Lets build up Kaladin, unveil something big, build his character, but nahhh you know what lets just stick with Shallan's story.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    Stormlight Archives Book 2
    Lets build up Kaladin, unveil something big, build his character, but nahhh you know what lets just stick with Shallan's story.
    She's an independent Lightweaver who don't need no man!

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

A great deal for those that do the Kindle reading thing Humble Bundle's Warhammer 40k is a fucking awesome deal for the $1 deal that has the first five books covering the Horus Heresy. 15 bucks for 15 books that would be a small fortune in paperback plus a handful of other random swag.

Still has roughly a week left on the deal too.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

2 Chapters left in Stormlight book 2. I think I'm going to try a new writer and possibly genre for a bit. I think enjoyed Mistborn Era1 more than Stormlight but then again more is explained through that trilogy. Stormlight is going to be like 10 books?

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    2 Chapters left in Stormlight book 2. I think I'm going to try a new writer and possibly genre for a bit. I think enjoyed Mistborn Era1 more than Stormlight but then again more is explained through that trilogy. Stormlight is going to be like 10 books?
    Yeah, as of now it's 10/

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I love Stormlight archive; I've re-read the first two books three times since release.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    I love Stormlight archive; I've re-read the first two books three times since release.
    Same, huge fan of the world he's built so far.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I didn't have any characters keep me as interested as Vin. I enjoyed it and can't wait for book 3, don't get me wrong.

Now that I finished book 2, what's next...

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Kaaaalllaaaaddinnnnn

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Kaaaalllaaaaddinnnnn
    Mistborn and Stormlight
    Kaladin and Syl were my favorites. Shallan and Kaladin in the chasm was one of my favorite part's. But neither were Vin. Vin was enough that accepting Kelsier's sacrifice wasn't a big deal. Actually there wasn't a chapter or POV I wanted to skip or rush through from any of the characters in Mistborn compared to Shallan's babbling.

I'm still confused about some of Stormlight's mystical powers and what's going on, Adolin's last action was shocking. I'm pretty sure that's going to define him moving forward.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag