+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 199 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast
    Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Pooky View Post

Depends on what classics. Love your avatar btw, one of my favorite games.
    awesome, i'm so glad someone else loves that game - one of my favorites as well!

I'm actually a classics major so I mainly mean stuff like the Aeneid, Cicero's philosophy, Marcus Aurelius, etc. I don't think people realize how much fun classical literature can be, as long as you get your hands on a good translation (older translations tend to be in old English, ew. makes it unnecessarily difficult.)

I read a lot of stuff like Tolstoy and Nabakov, too. I'm told I have boring taste in books, haha. Invitation to a Beheading by Nabakov is an amazing book, if anyone likes that kind of stuff. Kind of a surreal book. A bit like Haruki Murakami, who is also a great author (postmodern fiction.)

Ksandra - that's awesome! If you like Jane Austen (whom I adore), you might like A Room with A View or others by E.M. Forster or his other books, if you haven't read them. and, with Dickens, my favorite is Bleak House. it even has a happy ending!

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I just finished the new Jasper Fforde, One of Our Thursdays is Missing.
    As good as all the others.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Currently reading As Always, Julia: The letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto. Really interesting if you like to cook and are a fan of Julia's- pretty interesting view of history at the time too (50's-60's)

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Had a couple of people and a podcast I listen to talk about 4-Hour Work Week and 4-Hour Body by Tim Ferriss that they said was worth reading, just for how he writes alone. Hoping to chug through these two quickly; maybe even get something out of them if I'm lucky.

http://i.neoseeker.com/boxshots/Qm9v...MyzYraI8f5.jpg

Definitely one of my favorite books of all time. Anyone that hasn't taken the time to sit down and read a few Vonnegut books has done themselves and injustice.

Anyone that enjoys satire should at least take a look. Heres a little blurb about him that makes me smile every time I read it.

In the mid 1950s, Vonnegut worked very briefly for Sports Illustrated magazine, where he was assigned to write a piece on a racehorse that had jumped a fence and attempted to run away. After staring at the blank piece of paper on his typewriter all morning, he typed, "The horse jumped over the fucking fence," and left.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Doombard View Post
    http://i.neoseeker.com/boxshots/Qm9v...MyzYraI8f5.jpg

Definitely one of my favorite books of all time. Anyone that hasn't taken the time to sit down and read a few Vonnegut books has done themselves and injustice.
    it really is an amazing book. vonnegut's a great author, and sirens of titan is my favorite by him. cat's cradle is also very good.

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Just got done reading the Annotated "Legends" trilogy from Dragonlance. Need to pick up Dragons of an Hourglass Mage this week, but it hardback since I have Dragons of a Dwarven Depths and Highlord skies in hardback.. would hate to have a paperback for the final one

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Just re-read David Edding's Elenium and Tamuli trilogies (some of my favorite books ever), and after some quick googling noticed the japanese covers for those books (and his others), are REALLY nice:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...avid%20Eddings

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/...4L._SS500_.jpg

I think I prefer the JP covers to the NA ones >_>

I rarely ever see anyone post Edding's books on here, or anywhere, which suprises me, as they are absolutely fantastic.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Well, part of it is that many people have a bug up their nose about him.
    He may have written six different series, but he only has one story (Which he does manage to lampshade in the Malloreon.) Combined with the fact he's usually an early read and some think his books are a bit simple, he gets a lot of flak, and most fans learn to just stay quiet about him in public.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Psht. To be fair, I only read Belgariard/Mallorean and Elenium/Tamuli, and to say they're similar would be an understatement, but they're different enough in feel, that I don't mind. I much, much more liked the cast in Elenium/Tamuli, i've read those books at least 5 times each, ismply because I enjoy the characters so much (tho oh god the last book was kinda silly), and it's fun to re-read them and see all the glaringly huge contradictions.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Sorry for the sort-of necrobump, but I'm looking to get into books, but reading usually leads to intense headaches and sleepiness for me. I'm interested in what the fellow BG-readers think of audiobooks, and possibly some recommendations as well. I like fiction, but would consider other books that are non-fiction if they are very good.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seamus Sunder
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Sandman Slim is quite good and available on audio book. Also, anything by Jim Butcher or Glen Cook is definitely worth a read/listen.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I think audio books are a real hit and miss- a lot depends on who is cast as the reader.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Tifrece View Post
    Sorry for the sort-of necrobump, but I'm looking to get into books, but reading usually leads to intense headaches and sleepiness for me. I'm interested in what the fellow BG-readers think of audiobooks, and possibly some recommendations as well. I like fiction, but would consider other books that are non-fiction if they are very good.
    If you haven't, you may want to try changing the time/place you choose to read, and perhaps give some different authors (or editions) a shot. If you're trying to pick up a book when/where you'd usually be going to sleep, that could be part of it. Maybe you'd do better with a larger typeface - a lot of the classic I have in softcover use a small font with little spacing, which does make them harder to read. Couple that with an author with a more difficult style, and you could easily find it harder to get into. It may just take some getting used to in general.

Audiobooks in general can be nice as you can get through books during activities that'd otherwise keep you from actually reading, like your commute, chores, etc. I don't think they're a great replacement for reading in general.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Been reading Thomas Ligotti lately, and I'm amazed that he isn't more well-known. It's like Poe and Kafka had a baby who grew up in Innsmouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by chikalin View Post
    it really is an amazing book. vonnegut's a great author, and sirens of titan is my favorite by him. cat's cradle is also very good.
    If anyone's thinking of picking up Vonnegut, might wanna wait a couple weeks:
    http://www.amazon.com/Kurt-Vonnegut-...dp/1598530984/
    also looking forward to:
    http://www.amazon.com/Ambrose-Bierce...dp/1598531026/
    LoA collections = fuck yeah.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tifrece View Post
    Would the Potter series be something that interests you? I used that as an introduction to audio books and to get myself reading again and it worked pretty well. There are 2 possible narrators and if you get the series as read by Stephen Fry, I think you'll quickly gain an appreciation for the experience. Great for exercise, too. The big downside that makes it more of a supplement to reading than a replacement is the amount of time it takes given you can only go so fast as compared to a quick reader who can burn through a book or two in a day.

Tina Fey's "Bossypants" was also a fun listen as the book itself is hilarious and is also narrated by her which gives it a meaningful tone and an accurate delivery of jokes here and there. Especially the Paul Lynde impression lol.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

http://images.betterworldbooks.com/0...0595342525.jpg

Bought this a while ago, finally got the chance to start reading it a couple days ago. I'm not usually one for Historical novels, but I haven't been able to let go of this recently, it's so good.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag