Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Rothfuss is apparently nearly done with the third book.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

i want to believe but i've been hurt before

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Rothfuss is apparently nearly done with the third book.
    I chuckled.

Also, Warbreaker should be included when discussing Stormlight Series and don't forget Edgedancer in Arcanum Unbounded.

Warbreaker > Way Kings > Words of Radiance > Edgedancer or you can swap Kings and Warbreaker. Edgedancer needs to be after Words and Warbreaker.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Anyone that missed the sarcastic nature of my last post. I do apologize.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

So I read Warbreaker after Way of Kings and Words of Radiance, and I get that there are some tie-ins between the worlds and key characters, but I've never understood why people suggest that it should be read before Words of Radiance.... I feel like I'm missing something crucial?

And in contrast to Maroot, it may have been because it was so many years ago, but I thoroughly enjoyed the majority of the forgotten realms/Drizzt books. The early ones are definitely worth a read IMO.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by Zzsark View Post
    So I read Warbreaker after Way of Kings and Words of Radiance, and I get that there are some tie-ins between the worlds and key characters, but I've never understood why people suggest that it should be read before Words of Radiance.... I feel like I'm missing something crucial?

And in contrast to Maroot, it may have been because it was so many years ago, but I thoroughly enjoyed the majority of the forgotten realms/Drizzt books. The early ones are definitely worth a read IMO.
    Words/Warbreaker spoiler
    Spoiler: show
    Because there's a big payoff at the end of Words of Radiance with the Vasher reveal

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Guess I should have re-read Words haha. I did not put those together. Thank you.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

I read Warbreaker after Words of Radiance. That interlude chapter about getting some quiet sleep had me up the wall in the correct context.

Not necessary to read Warbreaker before Words of Radiance but they have parts that are complementary to each other.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

It's easier to miss things like the spoilers above if you read Words before. You def want to read it before Edgedancer. If you haven't read that short story you should. It has some decent info on the magic system of that world.

Secret History (Mistborn) is also worth the read if you've finished 1-3 but you should probably finish 4-6 because there is a major spoiler. I'm not sure if it would have enhanced 4-6 knowing or not.

To be honest the entire is Arcanum Unbounded is good if you're itching for more Cosmere. It explores some of the other worlds and magic systems.

Vasher and Nightblood(one of my fav characters) was a non factor since I read Warbreaker last. I didn't even put it all together until I read Edgedancer and reread WoR. Obviously they will play roles in the next book. There's also some characters from Elantris. I swap back and forth from Kindle to Audible and they use the same voices so it was easy to pick up, sule.

I absolutely love all of the Cosmere but I really just started reading fantasy in the past year.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

i'm already into Words so whatevs

Ridill
    BG Level

Went back to Lightbringer after a little hiatus on the series and started up The Broken Eye. I'm halfway through it now and I'm enjoying it more since Brent Weeks seemed to have let up drastically on explaining every little thing with a complete explanation that read like a text book. The problem still crops up from time to time, but its more ignorable, with the exception of...
    When Tiea was listening to the Order give their pre-meeting oath and it was just four pages of expositional background information.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

pls to recommend me some good dystopian and/or post-apocalyptic sci-fi? (bonus points for classic authors; I usually go to the local library so current stuff may or may not be available, but feel free to recommend it anyway)

really anything with a somber mood is good; think Dune, Anathem, Philip K Dick's entire ouvre, etc.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Children of Time

Red Rising series

The Expanse

Older stuff:
    Brave New World
    Fahrenheit 451
    Clockwork Orange
    Battle Royale
    The Running Man
    Logan's Run
    Fatherland

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Children of Time

Red Rising series

The Expanse

Older stuff:
    Brave New World
    Fahrenheit 451
    Clockwork Orange
    Battle Royale
    The Running Man
    Logan's Run
    Fatherland
    this is even better than I expected, I fully appreciate you right now

Ridill
    BG Level

A few more, though these are definitely more dependent on taste.

Metro 2033
    The Strain
    The Stand

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    pls to recommend me some good dystopian and/or post-apocalyptic sci-fi? (bonus points for classic authors; I usually go to the local library so current stuff may or may not be available, but feel free to recommend it anyway)

really anything with a somber mood is good; think Dune, Anathem, Philip K Dick's entire ouvre, etc.
    The first four books of The Dark Tower series are good if you don't mind reading an incomplete series, because I really can't recommend the other three.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    A few more, though these are definitely more dependent on taste.

Metro 2033
    The Strain
    The Stand
    the stand is fantastic, and I'll check out the others. bookmarking these recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    The first four books of The Dark Tower series are good if you don't mind reading an incomplete series, because I really can't recommend the other three.
    already read them, but those are EXACTLY the sort of thing I have in mind, to the letter.

and I never did finish the series, for the same reasons lol.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Anyone that doesn't already. Make a goodreads account to track your books and save ones you want to read. It has alleviated 99% of my reading-related stress.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    I really enjoyed the entire series. I'll say though, Wizard and Glass is my favorite book of all time I think. I can't think of anything else that made me wish the book would keep going.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I really enjoyed the entire series. I'll say though, Wizard and Glass is my favorite book of all time I think. I can't think of anything else that made me wish the book would keep going.
    I don't really want to go into a rant I'd have to spoiler but the ending of the final book is one of the biggest anti-climaxes I've ever had the displeasure of reading and I'm not even talking about the shit that was so bad that, at least in the printing I have, King himself literally breaks the 4th wall to tell the reader that they might want to stop because he's about to shit in their mouth.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag