+ Reply to Thread
Page 126 of 201 FirstFirst ... 76 116 124 125 126 127 128 136 176 ... LastLast

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    I don't really want to go into a rant I'd have to spoiler but the ending of the final book is one of the biggest anti-climaxes I've ever had the displeasure of reading and I'm not even talking about the shit that was so bad that, at least in the printing I have, King himself literally breaks the 4th wall to tell the reader that they might want to stop because he's about to shit in their mouth.
    absolutely goddamn right.

Clockwork Orange
    Battle Royale

This two are highly recommended. You should watch the film as well.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I already fucking said those.

Please fuck off.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I just started (and finished) The Dark Elf trilogy by R.A. Salvatore in about a week. Man, what a great series that was. I'll be starting the Icewind Dale Trilogy tonight.

Finally finished the first Wheel of Time book... plz tell me this shit gets better, I still have like 6 more of those books in my audible account...
    I went through God Emperor of Dune in like 3 days, fucking loved it. Son of the Black Sword was not too bad, I enjoyed it. Reading Name of the Wind now and really enjoying that

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

If you didn't like the first one, it's probably not the series for you. I think the first five-ish are pretty good and they start going downhill before picking back up for the last ones.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Cichy View Post
    Finally finished the first Wheel of Time book... plz tell me this shit gets better, I still have like 6 more of those books in my audible account...
    I went through God Emperor of Dune in like 3 days, fucking loved it. Son of the Black Sword was not too bad, I enjoyed it. Reading Name of the Wind now and really enjoying that
    It doesn't

Shootin' rocks at monsters
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Cichy View Post
    The world-making is top-notch; the plot is plausible, if optimistic. The characters, though, mostly seem to serve as a broad band of stereotypes and ill-conceived mentalities. WoT's *great* if you want to explore a fantasy world and observe a world-spanning plot; it's fine if you look at the main characters, and see them not as individuals, but as conglomerations of the mistakes (and sometimes triumphs), of subsets of a variety of societies. It's pretty terrible if you read it for character development-- it's typical and predictable along those lines.

I guess the world building is what I have problem with mostly. To me at least it's lots of names thrown at you with really no need or purpose. 7 towers of durka durka in a land of durka durka that was ruled by durka durka in an age of durka durka.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Wheel of Time is not for you.

Ridill
    BG Level

Speaking of...

Are the other books in the Malazan universe not written by the main guy worth reading? Not that I need more books to pick up and hoard. I have near 35 books sitting on my bookshelf I still need to read. Not to mention books I want to read a 2nd time.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

That's in my queue. I'm looking forward to it.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Children of Time

Red Rising series

The Expanse

Older stuff:
    Brave New World
    Fahrenheit 451
    Clockwork Orange
    Battle Royale
    The Running Man
    Logan's Run
    Fatherland
    Finished Children of Time on my flight back to SF from Nantucket; definitely in the top decile of books I've read over the past decade, really enjoyed it. Some great perspectives on notions like first contact, evolutionary biology / social systems, relativity, and psychology.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

went to pick up Clockwork Orange, noticed that the Annotated Sandman volumes I-IV were just sitting there on the shelf... now I have plenty to read. although I'll speed through Sandman; comic books are always that way.

also, Clockwork Orange's vocabulary is just... good lord, I had heard stories, but this is my first time reading it. it's a testament to Burgess's talent that this book is still somehow not only readable but enjoyable

goddamn Name of the Wind was fantastic...

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

And now it's been 8+ years since The Wise Man's Fear? May as well never see the light of day at this point.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Don't worry I'm sure he's busy writing right now.

Oh wait.

hows the Mistoborn series?

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Read it. Unanimous that Era 1 is good. BG is split on Era 2 with some enjoying it, others hating it.

I don't know how many times I have written something like that because when someone asks, it's distilled to that kind of answer. The final book of era 2 is slated for Fall 2018 so you can wait on that section if you go past the first trilogy.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag