+ Reply to Thread
Page 127 of 201 FirstFirst ... 77 117 125 126 127 128 129 137 177 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level

Alrighty, time for a non-fantasy book. The Davinci Code or Contact?

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    Alrighty, time for a non-fantasy book. The Davinci Code or Contact?
    Contact was great. Cowritten(?) by Carl Sagan.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Finished The Wheel of Time (audio)book three: The Dragon Reborn this morning.

Spoiler: show
    I think the final fight was a bit anti-climactic. Moiraine easily got rid of Belal (though he is probably still alive) and Rand's fight with Ba'alzamon wasn't very interesting.

I liked that this book focused more on Mat.

Ridill
    BG Level

Mat becomes my favorite later on and nearly becomes pretty much the only character I'm really interested in near the end.

**Edit: I fail at reading comprehension. Don't read my spoiler if you're not finished with the series. I was commenting on the end of the series, not the end of book 3 that xElipsis was commenting on.

Quote Originally Posted by xElipsis View Post
    Finished The Wheel of Time (audio)book three: The Dragon Reborn this morning.

I think the final fight was a bit anti-climactic. Moiraine easily got rid of Belal (though he is probably still alive) and Rand's fight with Ba'alzamon wasn't very interesting.

I liked that this book focused more on Mat.
    I was disappointed with the ending too. It's been a few years since I read it, so I may get some of this wrong, but:

I felt like the book focused too much on the battles being fought, and not enough on the actual story.

We heard through the whole series about the Tuatha'an searching for their song, but in the end all they really did was help clean up the battle field. Their impact seemed so minimal for how much story time they got over the series.

I think there was a prophecy regarding Aviendha's children, but not much really came of that? I'd try to say more, but I know I'd butcher that with how little I remember.

Just things like that seemed to be left hanging. I feel like he could have been a little less detailed on the battles, and focused more on tying up some of those things that we've been waiting for all these years. Unless Jordan didn't share absolutely every detail, and Sanderson just didn't have the info he needed to tie up those loose ends.

I also agree that Rand's fight was a little underwhelming for all the build up it was given.

Ridill
    BG Level

Finished Contact. I have never seen the movie and I was disappointed when
    The aliens only showed themselves as memories and everything could have been passed off as just being some kind of dream (I know the book pretty much confirms it wasn't just some illusion, still disappointing though.)

Halfway through The Revenant now. Never seen that movie either.

I finished A Wise Mans Fear and although it was still entertaining I felt like it lacked the momentum the first book had. It was much more predictable to me and some stuff felt repetitive. The whole Dena thing is just fucking ridiculous...
    I'm not sure how I feel about the apparent 8 year gap between this book and the next, this book is fun but I wouldn't call the plot or world very intricate. Especially comparing to GRRM work

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

1600 pages vs 6000 pages but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    1600 pages vs 6000 pages but whatever.
    just saying his story is pretty straight forward

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I finally got around to making a goodreads account. Took a fucking day of data entry and dredging up memories of everything I've read. (And I had to not include "read it for primary school" books, because enjoyable as Hatchet or My Side of the Mountain was, The Joy Luck Club, Grapes of Wrath, and Great Gatsby and all that isn't really a reflection of my reading habits.)
    https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/71973042-cantih
    If you want any specific thoughts on something I've read, just ask. I suggest the "first book condensed list" shelf, but keep in mind it doesn't account for if I've finished a whole series or not.

As for what I've read lately.
    Cory Doctorow's Walkaway.
    It's not strictly related, but it builds on (and in a limited part, refutes) Doctorow's works Down & Out in the Magic Kingdom and Makers. I'd say it's not quite as strong as his previous stuff, but he's been out of the scene for a few years and is probably a bit rusty.

Madeline Ashby's vN and iD.
    If you read the back cover blurbs and think "this is my jam", then by all means go ahead and read it. But otherwise I wouldn't recommend it, there's just something about the flow that makes me have a complaint.
    If you want books that tackle similar ideas but that I can recommend, go for Charles Stross' Saturn's Children series, and William Campbell Powell's Expiration Day.

Ridill
    BG Level

Book related, but not reading related:

When it comes to media, I'm a bit of a hoarder. I collect books and movies and manga and just recently added comics to that list. I've got probably five bookshelves worth of books/manga and I'm moving in two weeks and I'm thinking about purging quite a bit of my collection, keeping the physical copies of the stuff I really want and then have a kindle for everything else. I've also got some nerd stuff like figures and pop vinyls I think i want to get rid of too.

I think I've got it figured out, and part of this is me just vocalizing this so it's more than just a thought in my head that I just put off, but any one else have a similar situation? I want to do this easy and fast, not really worried about maximizing profit, so I'm thinking about just being a car load to Half-Priced Books or 2nd & Charles and being happy with what they give me. Anyone know of any better alternatives?

I might not be opposed to the idea if someone here who lives neat Naperville area of Illinois wants to meet up and buy some cheap stuff off me. I can do pictures/inventory of what I have if anyone is interested.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    Book related, but not reading related:

When it comes to media, I'm a bit of a hoarder. I collect books and movies and manga and just recently added comics to that list. I've got probably five bookshelves worth of books/manga and I'm moving in two weeks and I'm thinking about purging quite a bit of my collection, keeping the physical copies of the stuff I really want and then have a kindle for everything else. I've also got some nerd stuff like figures and pop vinyls I think i want to get rid of too.

I think I've got it figured out, and part of this is me just vocalizing this so it's more than just a thought in my head that I just put off, but any one else have a similar situation? I want to do this easy and fast, not really worried about maximizing profit, so I'm thinking about just being a car load to Half-Priced Books or 2nd & Charles and being happy with what they give me. Anyone know of any better alternatives?

I might not be opposed to the idea if someone here who lives neat Naperville area of Illinois wants to meet up and buy some cheap stuff off me. I can do pictures/inventory of what I have if anyone is interested.
    If they are all hard cover, you're probably fine. Expect a very low number.

Most places don't take any soft covers or non-jacket hardcovers anymore. Call before you go.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Best version for H.P. Lovecraft's complete work?

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I like old fashion. I'll order hardcover. Thanks!

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Book 5 of the Demon Cycle series just came out today for those interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Obiron View Post
    I was disappointed with the ending too. It's been a few years since I read it, so I may get some of this wrong, but:

I felt like the book focused too much on the battles being fought, and not enough on the actual story.

We heard through the whole series about the Tuatha'an searching for their song, but in the end all they really did was help clean up the battle field. Their impact seemed so minimal for how much story time they got over the series.

I think there was a prophecy regarding Aviendha's children, but not much really came of that? I'd try to say more, but I know I'd butcher that with how little I remember.

Just things like that seemed to be left hanging. I feel like he could have been a little less detailed on the battles, and focused more on tying up some of those things that we've been waiting for all these years. Unless Jordan didn't share absolutely every detail, and Sanderson just didn't have the info he needed to tie up those loose ends.

I also agree that Rand's fight was a little underwhelming for all the build up it was given.
    He's talking about the ending of book 3 ("The Dragon Reborn") in the series; you're talking about the ending of the final book (#14 "Memory of Light"). On a related note, I tried re-reading WoT a year ago; got to book #3 or 4 and just couldn't do it again. Enjoyed my first read through well enough and can recall some great sequences, but there's just so much bullshit when you are actually reading every word again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    He's talking about the ending of book 3 ("The Dragon Reborn") in the series; you're talking about the ending of the final book (#14 "Memory of Light"). On a related note, I tried re-reading WoT a year ago; got to book #3 or 4 and just couldn't do it again. Enjoyed my first read through well enough and can recall some great sequences, but there's just so much bullshit when you are actually reading every word again.

So much for my reading comprehension. Thanks for point that out.

I've often thought about trying to read it all again, but I think I would be in the same boat as you, and wouldn't be able to push through it after the first few books.

BG Level

I reread every WoT book when a new one came out until book 9 or so. But the later books get realllllly draggy and in just couldn't do it any more.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Finished Wizard's First Rule, book 1 of Sword of Truth. It go kinda dark near the end, was not expecting it. I may give a few more a try before Oathbringer.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    Finished Wizard's First Rule, book 1 of Sword of Truth. It go kinda dark near the end, was not expecting it. I may give a few more a try before Oathbringer.
    Do yourself a solid and stop after the 2nd Sword of Truth book. It's just more dungeon BDSM fantasy forever and ever.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag