+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 201 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 ... LastLast
    United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bweigelt View Post
    Aren't the Hunger games books just like an americanized version of Battle Royale? Or does it do something to distinguish itself.
    While Battle Royale was entertaining The Hunger Games takes the concept and makes it much more interesting and detailed on a story level. I really enjoyed Battle Royale and while they have similarities The Hunger Games stands on its own.

I too felt like the 2nd book was the weakest of the three it was more of the same from book one and mostly a bridge between the first book and third.

Anyone see they are making the series into 4 movies? Rated PG-13 too. I am having a hard time imagining how they will pull that off without it being terrible. A lot of the stories impact will be lost if they tone it down too much.

Witty Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eticket Pogona
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I have the first Hunger Games book from the Borders closeout. Have yet to start it.

Picked up 'The Other Wes Moore' from the library this week. The concept of the book is fascinating to me.

Just finished "Under The Dome" by Stephen King...holy cow do I love his way of storytelling. I can only recommend it, even though I have to admit that the last 4-5 pages felt kind of weak. Still, the other ~870 pages are pure awesomeness! Next: "It" by Stephen King!

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Just started Reamde. So far, as fun as Cryptonomicon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirian View Post
    These past few weeks I have finally got through quite a few books that I have been meaning to get through.

Lord of the Rings - Return of the King (read halfway through it a few months ago and had to put it away when I got too busy)
    Dune (original book, loved it and will be reading the rest eventually)
    Ender's Game (no words can express how much I loved it)
    Speaker for the Dead (Only decided to read this once I finished Ender's Game, and I haven't been disappointed in the slightest. I think I am going to try and finish up at least the 2 other books in this direct series before I go back to Dune)

It's been so long since I've read for pleasure rather than the constant reading for learning I had honestly forgotten what it was like to not be able to put down a book
    Finished up Xenocide and Children of the mind (the last 2 books directly about Ender, in the Ender's Game series), and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of them. I actually finished them up well over a month ago now, and have been meaning to move onto the rest of the Dune series, but between school and my recent addiction to mangas, I haven't had a chance

E. Body
    BG Level

Just finished the fifth book of A Song of Ice and Fire. I'm dead inside. I don't want to read anything anymore ever ;(

Hurry up Skyrim...

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Just finished Reamde. Holy shit that was good.
    Not the Snow Crash/Diamond Age/Anathem type of work, but more like Interface (Cobweb, and maybe Zodiac, but I haven't read those.)

But it's full of that Stephenson style that has you laughing.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    Shit. Need to change post for Tyven.

I'm actually reading:

http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/img/5...298-slarge.jpg
    i fucking love you. yes this post is almost 2 years later

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

so, I know next to nothing about kindles/ebooks etc. Kindle Touch has me interested, does it do its job well, and can you torrent etc books to put on it? if so I might ask for one for christmas.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Ever since they released the Nobel laureats in Physics, I've been thinking of reading A brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking. Anyone read it? Is it Physics heavy?

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

It's written at a level that you don't need to be a physics/math major to understand, if that's what you mean. Just need a basic grasp.

Little Mother
    BG Level

Just finished reading the Dark Nest Trilogy in Star Wars. Really good stuff, worried about what really goes down in Legacy of the Force, so waiting a little before I delve into that.

Now I've picked back up the Well of Echoes series, after raging out at the end of book 1 / start of book 2. Finished Tetrarch yesterday, waiting for Alchymist and Chimaera to come in the mail. I'll just say that I've never been so angry reading a book series in my life. Not because the books are bad, they are masterfully written, but the shit that happens is rage inducing.

I really live Ian Irvine's writing, the View from the Mirror series was amazing, and I cried like a baby at the end. It's just very frustrating to read books where you fall in love with the characters (especially when they remind you so much of yourself) and they just get fucked over, and over, and over.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Hmm, those look interesting, and it's the second Australian YA author I've seen with good looking work, but kind of falling under the radar.

Oh, a bit related. Just read Yahtzee Croshaw's Mogworld.
    It's not bad, a tiny bit Pratchett-ish. Better than Zero Punctuation would lead you to believe.

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Best Star Wars fiction, anyone?

Reading The House of Leaves right now, then I'm gonna go through Iain M Bank's Culture series. My woman wants me to read Sins of the Borgia as well, anyone read that?

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

I love Iain Banks

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Wasp Factory was great; haven't read his other stuff, yet.

Also, if you like House of Leaves, check out Thomas Ligotti.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBreeze View Post
    Just finished reading the Dark Nest Trilogy in Star Wars. Really good stuff, worried about what really goes down in Legacy of the Force, so waiting a little before I delve into that.

Now I've picked back up the Well of Echoes series, after raging out at the end of book 1 / start of book 2. Finished Tetrarch yesterday, waiting for Alchymist and Chimaera to come in the mail. I'll just say that I've never been so angry reading a book series in my life. Not because the books are bad, they are masterfully written, but the shit that happens is rage inducing.

I really live Ian Irvine's writing, the View from the Mirror series was amazing, and I cried like a baby at the end. It's just very frustrating to read books where you fall in love with the characters (especially when they remind you so much of yourself) and they just get fucked over, and over, and over.
    Legacy is extremely good, there's a lot of character growth and change (and some pretty major events), but I'm liking the current arc (Fate of the Jedi) more...despite Christie Golden's terrible writing. The last book in Fate comes out in April, then from what I've heard they're going back to duologies/trilogies instead of the 9+ book arc format (Yay!)

Got tired of trying to scrounge up interesting books to read, so I'm currently reading all of the Star Wars expanded universe from Truce at Bakura to present...Just started the Callista arc today (Children of the Jedi). Forgot how much I really enjoy some of these lol ^^;

Quote Originally Posted by Jakson View Post
    Best Star Wars fiction, anyone?
    The Thrawn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command) is probably one of the best written arcs in the expanded universe.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

A little over halfway thru Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian right now. Great stuff.

I've also got House of Leaves sitting here, my friend lent it to me months ago but every time I try to start it I get distracted/uninterested really quickly.

Sic itur ad astra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Julian Barnes just won the Man Booker Award for "The Sense of an Ending." I haven't read it yet, but it is on my kindle already. Barnes is a great contemporary author, with "Talking it Over" and "A History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters" being two of my favorite novels. Just thought I'd share this for anyone looking for something new to read.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag