+ Reply to Thread
Page 175 of 201 FirstFirst ... 125 165 173 174 175 176 177 185 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level

If you want something on the lighter side of the grim dark scale, but still something that helps you dip into the world, I really enjoy the Ciaphas Cain books.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Cool, thanks for the recs! Still going full speed ahead on Black Company atm but will add those 3 series as potential reads for after

Ridill
    BG Level

Ok. The Mist book ending is different. Thank god.

Ridill
    BG Level

So in a big 40k coincidence, this is on my timehop today
    Spoiler: show

BG Level

based, i have everything on Kindle but should grab hard copies of the best stuff at some point

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Cool, thanks for the recs! Still going full speed ahead on Black Company atm but will add those 3 series as potential reads for after
    ye you'll dig em. there's a lot of trash in the setting but the best stuff is p baller sci-fi military horror space opera shenanigans.

Ridill
    BG Level

I got rid of most of my physical books a little while ago. Only 40k books I currently have is the out of print Ravenor omnibus with the skull cover I spent too much money on- though it looks like it’s selling for at least $100 now- the red cover Pariah (I just realized books 1 & 2 of that trilogy have been reprinted) and the Ahriman omnibus which I’m 1/3 of the way through.

BG Level

i've only gone through Eisenhorn and Ravenor 1 still needa finish that boy then move to Bequin. though with Abnett finishing the Heresy who knows when she'll get her concluding 3rd.

BG Level

^what they said. eisenhorn/ravenor/bequin are outstanding. eisenhorn was what got me into 40k.

once you get your feet wet, check out the Arhiman omnibus by John French. for the love of all that's unholy, don't read this one first. you kind of have to know what's going on. the Fabius Bile trilogy was surprisingly good; i was never a fan of the character until he got his own series.

also check out the Carcharodons series by mcniven. really good stuff.

another one by ADB is Helsreach, dealing with the Black Templars and the fight for Helsreach hive on Armageddon.

also check out Spears of the Emporer (again by ADB). this one needs a sequel.

for more abnett, if you like something shorter check out his Gaunt's Ghosts series. there are a metric fuckton of these but they're all short. you will see some of the Eisenhorn side characters show up from time to time.

like they have said, the heresy is a big ass commitment and there is a lot of filler. some of it is amazing, check out Master of Mankind, Betrayer, Prospero Burns, First Heretic (not in that order) as stand-outs in the series. some real good shit there.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Been listening to Star Wars books.

Currently listening to Dark disciple.

Listened to already
    The rising storm
    The fallen star
    Convergence
    Light of the jedi
    Reven
    Deceived
    Spector of the past
    Vision of the future
    Darth plagueis
    Heir to the empire trilogy
    Bane trilogy.

Bane trilogy was my favorite so far, liking dark disciple a lot. The new books not so much....

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vagrant Tarupunter
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Lenus View Post
    Been listening to Star Wars books.

Currently listening to Dark disciple.

Listened to already
    The rising storm
    The fallen star
    Convergence
    Light of the jedi
    Reven
    Deceived
    Spector of the past
    Vision of the future
    Darth plagueis
    Heir to the empire trilogy
    Bane trilogy.

Bane trilogy was my favorite so far, liking dark disciple a lot. The new books not so much....
    I read pretty much all of what is now Legends but have been unable to get myself into the new stories since Disney took over.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I want to get into the New Jedi Order, Legacy of the force, and fate of the Jedi.

The sheer volume of books and considering they are like a third of listening time compared to most other volume I have on Audible but at the same price.

It's very off putting to commit to. I usually listen to them to and from work. 35-60 min drive depending on traffic.

Wish they would condense them into a 3 pack deal or something to make the cost must more reasonable.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vagrant Tarupunter
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Lenus View Post
    I want to get into the New Jedi Order, Legacy of the force, and fate of the Jedi.

The sheer volume of books and considering they are like a third of listening time compared to most other volume I have on Audible but at the same price.

It's very off putting to commit to. I usually listen to them to and from work. 35-60 min drive depending on traffic.

Wish they would condense them into a 3 pack deal or something to make the cost must more reasonable.
    I really enjoyed the majority of New jedi order. They really did a good job establishing some of the new younger characters in the saga. Much better than Disney ever did. With legends you can mostly skip any stand alone stories and go to the trilogies. Only trilogy I can really say I didn't care for was the Corellian trilogy. The stand alone novels were very hit and miss.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Finished the Silver Spike

Man they really send off everyone who didn't go South huh. RIP Raven, Silent and Bomanz. Darling goes off with Case to live happily ever after. I really thought the series would be dominated (no pun intended) with Dominator and Taken stuff all the way through to the endgame but now we've killed off all of them by book 3.5. Fucking Limper always refuses to die but I think this might be it for him.

No idea what the other 6 books are gonna get into. Looking forward to seeing what happens with the Lady without any powers though.

Shadow Games is up next.
    Shadow Games done.

Lol after complaining about all the Taken being dead, once Howler and Shifter were back, the big reveal of the Shadowmasters being Taken fell kinda flat. Was too obvious by that time. I had sorta guessed the stump might even be Soulcatcher because all the Taken seem take grudges very personally. Don't think the book revealed who 3 of the 4 Shadowmasters were. Or what undead shit the last couple chapters were talking about.

I had planned to take a break and read Stephen King's Fairy Tale next but that damn book ended on too big a cliffhanger. Think I'm gonna need to continue on with Black Company #5 for now

Ridill
    BG Level

Yeah, one of my big complaints about Black Company was saying “oh, him again?” a few too many times.

I still haven’t made it any further into King’s Skeleton Crew. The Mist was the first one, and the second story was like a 3 page story which was apparently Kings first ever published work or something. It was such a non-story though. Been busy adjusting to new work-life schedule, busy doing heavy edits of my book, and just playing some Yugioh Duel Links when I have a few minutes to spare instead of reading. I’ll get back on it eventually.

Ridill
    BG Level

Stopped half-way through Skeleton Crew to read Annihilation. Threadbare connection to the movie. If someone had told me the book was a good modern lovecraftian horror story, I’d have read it long ago. Halfway through the second book Authority. Zero Lovecraftian influence here, but still alright. Hoping it’s just not a filler build-up to the third book.

Ridill
    BG Level

For the most part, the vast majority of the Cosmere books aren’t required to be read in any particular order, aside from obvious sequels. That has changed now though, with the latest Mistborn Lost Metal book.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Figured this thread was reasonably appropriate. https://deadline.com/2023/02/michael...er-1235266099/

Michael Crichton’s brilliant mix of science and narrative resulted in north of $10 billion in film and TV revenue and 250 million books sold. Now, the estate of the author who died in 2008 has made another major deal to bring his work back to new audiences.

Blackstone Publishing has made a seven-figure deal with CrichtonSun to acquire the worldwide print, eBook and audiobook rights to Crichton’s first series of novels, which he wrote under the pseudonym John Lange. This was long before Jurassic Park, ER and such, and he wrote the first three titles while matriculating at Harvard Medical School. This side pursuit also came prior to his first breakout novel done under the Crichton name, 1971’s The Andromeda Strain.

The eight books comprise unconnected tales of fiction in numerous genres and will be shopped to studios and streamers for potential film/television adaptations. Perhaps Crichton didn’t want to mix writing prescriptions and prose, but he used the John Lange pseudonym for Odds On (1966), Scratch One (1967), Easy Go (1968), Zero Cool (1969), The Venom Business (1969), Drug of Choice (1970), Grave Descend (1970) and Binary (1972). Some of these novels touched on the science sandbox he wrote in later on but with pulpy, crime-thriller twists.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Oh yeah, so update.

Took a break from Black Company to read Fairy Tale by Stephen King. It was my first King book because I'm not into horrors. It was fine, I definitely liked it more because there was a prominent dog character in the book. Not huge on the isekai plotline it basically had. I like my fantasy books to not spend the first 30% of the book in the real world lol.

Back to Black Company, I've started Bleak Season, about 25% in so far. Not liking it as much as the others for reasons...

Murgen as narrator is okay. I already didn't love the shift to Lady as the main POV in the last book. I missed Croaker then and I miss Croaker now.

But beyond that, I don't like that half the time so far has been spent in the past because of whatever is happening to Murgen. They keep going over details from before they defeated Shadowspinner. Not really sure where this is going at the moment but I wish it would get there faster.

Ridill
    BG Level

If I remember correctly, this little arc of a trilogy was a little bit of a low point for your stated reasons. But it is not a permanent change of that helps you get through it.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I'm too far in to not power through now anyway haha.

But yeah, this is I guess Book 1/4 of the Glittering Stones arc of series.

Btw Souj, you got some splaining to do.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/com..._2023_results/

I put off Assassin's Apprentice after your review but here I see it ranked 7th (unless it was a different Assassin book you were talking about)

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag