+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 201 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 ... LastLast
    The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Moridam View Post
    A little over halfway thru Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian right now. Great stuff.

I've also got House of Leaves sitting here, my friend lent it to me months ago but every time I try to start it I get distracted/uninterested really quickly.
    house of leaves was brutal for me to get into.

Currently reading two books...

The Origin of Species

Don Quijote (in spanish)

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Fall of Giants - Ken Follett

Pretty solid read, first of his 3 tomes called the Century trilogy.

It's fictional characters carrying you through WW1.

It gets a bit herky jerky with timing but I recommend it for all history buffs.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Just finished the Hunger Games trilogy. I read the first book in one sitting. I paced myself with the other two, but I enjoyed them all a lot.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Anyone read Palauniuk's "Damned"? Just grabbed it as something to read as I fall asleep.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr View Post
    Just finished the fifth book of A Song of Ice and Fire. I'm dead inside. I don't want to read anything anymore ever ;(

Hurry up Skyrim...
    bingo, kill me now. just finished this morning.

also, I'm looking at The Hobbit after The Hunger Games and noticed there are a variety of versions. Anyone feel strongly about which version would be best for a first-time read? I keep seeing the 2nd edition of The Annotated Hobbit being praised but I don't know if that's from the perspective of someone re-reading looking for insight or what.

Banned.

BG Level

The Litigators by J. Grisham nice bathroom book the first 100 pages had me laughing hard.
    Son of Neptune by Rick Jordan was ok.

Ridill
    BG Level

Finished American Gods. Still not sure what to think of it.
    I found some of it boring and sometimes it seemed to drag on a bit, but aside from the few random "someplace in America" stories, it wasn't just wasted space and it came together very nicely.
    Apparently the author of the book is writing for the upcoming tv series based on the book for HBO.
    Spoiler: show
    Still not sure on exactly what the coins were and what they were for, other than that apparently the gold coin can raise people from the dead.
    I saw the Hinzelman twist (at least him being a "god") come from a mile away. I suspected Wednesday was a doublecrosser from the start, especially with all the conning stuff he liked to do. Him dying pretty much made up my mind that he was behind it all (though i thought he only faked his death).
    Though oddly enough I didn't catch on to Low Key being Loki.

Now to decide if I should start reading The Hunger Games, start reading the Harry Potter series(which I am very hesitant about doing, but I figure I should at least give the series a chance), World War Z, or House of Leaves.

Just picked up The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham. It's just as good as his other stuff but a little more traditional. It's really sad his books don't get more attention, his Long Price Quartet is the best fantasy series I've ever read and yet it barely sold at all in North America.

Witty Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eticket Pogona
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post

Now to decide if I should start reading The Hunger Games, start reading the Harry Potter series(which I am very hesitant about doing, but I figure I should at least give the series a chance), World War Z, or House of Leaves.
    World War Z was amaaaaaaaazing. If you like the alt-history type stuff, it's a must read.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

^I downloaded a preview of World War Z on my Kindle, but haven't gotten to it yet. About 75% through The Gunslinger (book 1 of The Dark Tower series by Stephen King).

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

With the recent death of Anne McCaffrey, I'm rereading the Dragonriders of Pern in chronological order. It's too bad I don't own all the books, but that's what the library is for! Her son has gotten pretty good at taking up where she left off, I hope we see a lot of good stuff from him in the future. Anyone who hasn't read these books and enjoys stuff like dragons and pre-industrial society politics should check them out.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

^ Glad to hear some positive stuff about her son's writing. I am still vary wary of investing in his stuff, however from what you've said I might see if I cant pick one or two up at the used bookstore where I still have some credit (heh, sitting on it for over a year now since I got my Kindle >.>; )

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I've actually been going back and rereading a slew of Mechwarrior Dark Age books. I forgot how much politics plays into every single story. Some of them have been awesome reads. Others, not so much.

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Todd McCaffrey's books are pretty good, I just want some more Ninth pass stuffs

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    I actually just finished the Harry Potter series a few days ago after putting it off for my entire childhood. It did not disappoint, whatsoever.

Funny enough, I'm probably going to start The Hunger Games here soon. But seriously, give HP a shot. I'm not a big reader, nor am I the fastest reader, but I went through book five and six in about three days (granted I was passenger to an 18 hour road trip for the last half of 5 and first half of 6). Could not put them down.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BGtemp View Post
    ^ Glad to hear some positive stuff about her son's writing. I am still vary wary of investing in his stuff
    From a technical standpoint, his first couple books (Dragon's Kin/Dragonsblood I think) could stand to have been written a little better. The stories, however, are very very good, and all of his books so far deal with the 3rd pass, which - after you read one or two of them - get very exciting to read about and expand as the timeline goes on. Dragonsblood I haven't re-read yet but I remember it being an extremely exciting read plot-wise so I'm looking forward to reading it again. Currently on Dragon Harper, about one of the major 3rd pass characters (a harper, obv) and it's really good.

His stuff also deals with groups of people/animals and history that Anne's books didn't touch on as much - watch-whers, the Shunned people who were outcast from holds, and discovery/rediscovery of many things. Reading about less touched-upon aspects of Pern is really interesting, too.

@Indy: I think there is a new post-9th pass book coming out called After the Fall is Over, dunno who was writing it, when it's coming out or what it'll be about though. Might be a wrapup of the 9th pass books in general, which would be cool.

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I just finished reading Patrick Rothfuss' first two books, The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear, and he's a fantastic story teller (literally). For anyone who likes a nice big thick ass fucking fantasy book that's got some meat to it, this is what you're looking for. Also, some excellent humor moments in it that made me burst out laughing irl, which is extremely rare. I can't recommend this enough.

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Early Christmas present. Has most if not all of his stories. Big book a lil over 1000 pages but leather bound with gilded pages (just how I like em).

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag