Page 51 of 199 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 ... LastLast
    Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    I'm just gonna let it go. When I was reading it, I enjoyed it enough. The book is done, the series is done, even after the original author had died. No point in ruining it by overthinking about it too much. Sure it could have been better, but eh.

What I'm really curious about is how Robert Jordan had originally planned to have The Gathering Storm, Towers of Midnight, and A Memory of Light be a single book.
    This. I'll admit that I was entertained enough that I stayed up till 5:30am to finish it the day I got it.

And there was NO way fitting all those in a book shorter than 2500 pages would have worked at all.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

You bastards are making me bookmark this thread until I finish, arggg. Just about halfway through Path of Daggers, and man are these slow.
    Spoiler: show
    Although, this book is a heck of a lot better than Crossroads of Twilight - the Prologue was actually a good read! And Trollocs are back!? Fuck ya! About goddamn time. Jordan does a good job at making me pissed off at key characters *cough*Elayne*cough*

I envy those that have finally obtained closure.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    The Dresden books are a lot of fun, but do take a good 3-5 books to really get good.
    One of them opens with Harry fleeing from a horde of monsters while carrying a box full of puppies and the very first words in the story are "The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault."
    I mean you really can't go wrong.
    That's pretty fantastic. I believe you just sold me.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

anyone read any of the culture novels? are they easy getting into?

I wanna start reading them but afraid they'll be Dune level difficulty

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

I've read a handful of them and found them to be really good and not that hard to get into. bear in mind that it's not a series so much as a collection of novels in the same universe, so you don't have to start with Consider Phlebas. I know a lot of people suggest The Player of Games as an introductory one.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    You bastards are making me bookmark this thread until I finish, arggg. Just about halfway through Path of Daggers, and man are these slow.
    Although, this book is a heck of a lot better than Crossroads of Twilight - the Prologue was actually a good read! And Trollocs are back!? Fuck ya! About goddamn time. Jordan does a good job at making me pissed off at key characters *cough*Elayne*cough*

I envy those that have finally obtained closure.
    do you mean that you're halfway through Knife of Dreams? because path of daggers is book 8 and crossroads of Twilight is 10.
    and yeah, there were three books in a row that were starting to become a chore to read through. I think it was Winter's Heart, Crossroads, and Knife of Dreams. Then stuff gets really good again.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

do you mean that you're halfway through Knife of Dreams? because path of daggers is book 8 and crossroads of Twilight is 10.
    and yeah, there were three books in a row that were starting to become a chore to read through. I think it was Winter's Heart, Crossroads, and Knife of Dreams. Then stuff gets really good again.
    Woops that's it, I always get those two mixed up.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Just finished King of Thorns, damn that's some good shit :O More amazingly, the final book in the trilogy is coming out in August it seems (according to goodreads, anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by shukudai View Post
    Just finished King of Thorns, damn that's some good shit :O More amazingly, the final book in the trilogy is coming out in August it seems (according to goodreads, anyways).
    Oh shit! Didn't know that was released. Gotta check it out.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Polished off the Thrawn and Hand of Thrawn series from the Expanded Star Wars Universe. I'm making my way into some other books from the same part of the Expanded Universe. Also, read The Last Man by Vince Flynn, pretty generic but a damn good gritty military thriller.

Old Merits
    BG Level

AMOL - Yes, ending spoilers.
    Few thoughts.
    -As many have said, Mat is awesome.
    -I kept thinking Uno or possibly Olver was going to turn out to be Gaidal (or however the fuck you spell it). They made many mentions as to how time flows differently inside Tel'awtfever, how ugly Gaidal always was and it was the same for Uno & Olver. Birgitte saying she hadn't seen him in a while, that'd he been reborn, etc.
    -A few books ago, I started thinking maybe Rand would actually kill the Dark One, and Padain Fain would 'become' the new one. Then I'm almost at the end of the book, thinking, where the fuck is Fain. Oh, there he is. Annnnnd he's dead.
    -Some things that should have made a HUGE difference, were just...glossed over. 'What's that? You channeled while you were in a link and not leading?' lolaccident, oops. Tell that shit to the other Asha'man/Aes Sedai 'teams', links and weaves everywhere! Instead, it's used for 1 gateway. Unless I missed something.
    -Glad not all of the good Aiel are dead. In the book where Perrin freed his wife, and the remaining Shaido left to go back into the Waste and never return, I thought those would end up being the 'remnant of a remnant' that would be saved.

For other's comments
    -The future Aviendha saw is already changed, or they made it seem as much. They made a point of saying in the book that it wouldn't be the same since Rhuarc is now dead, and he was alive in the visions.
    -Rand/Moridin, like has been said, they've been building up this 'thing' between them for a while. They even go so far as to have Moridin stab himself in the hand during the fight and it hurts Rand. The explanation is never given, but we're led to infer it has to do with the link created by crossing the streams of balefire. Although the way at the end, it made it seem like once they let Moridin have Callandor (which call me crazy, I'd probably be hesitant to make part of the plan) and they take control of him, Rand just switches bodies with him. Never mind it seems an awful Shadow-y thing to do, the hero has to live. In the end, I don't think too many people actually knew what Moridin looked like/who he was. Once Rand took control, everybody who was aware of what Moridin was, knew it was Rand. Alivia and the Three, Nynaeve getting it out of Aviendha, and Cadsuane figuring it out. But yeah, who knows.

Definitely seems like there should have been more of an epilogue, or books following to finish some of the stories. Or how Rand says, ok, guys don't want to follow the treaty you signed? I'LL THINK YOU OUT OF EXISTENCE.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

AMOL sucked. I've had a week to relax and mull it over. So many fails. NEED THIRD KINGKILLER CHRONICLE BOOK!

On another note, I am nearly done with the first book of The Riftwar Saga. Plan on finishing the next two then going back to finish the last book of The Chathrand Voyages which arrived from the UK last week. Also read Prince of Thorns and King of Thorns recently; both pretty good. The last book comes out in early February which should be perfect timing. After that I may do The Long Price Quartet, but we'll see. It's getting to the point where I've read a lot of the best fantasy fiction out there, at least as far as my tastes go.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

Re: Books, Books?, Books!, Books...What are YOU reading?

The riftwar saga was great I love midkemia and the world feist created

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    I've read a handful of them and found them to be really good and not that hard to get into. bear in mind that it's not a series so much as a collection of novels in the same universe, so you don't have to start with Consider Phlebas. I know a lot of people suggest The Player of Games as an introductory one.
    This. I just finished them up a couple weeks ago, though I had to skip a few because I couldn't find them on Kindle. You'll find a few recurring characters, occasionally, but otherwise they're pretty independent. I really liked Player of Games, since, being a gamer, I felt a particular affinity for the main character. I also really enjoyed Look to Windward because one of the characters highlighted just how much fun I could have living in The Culture. The guy contemplates changing his form to better suit the particular task/hobby/profession he's adopted, and it made me realize they can just make themselves into whatever sort of creature they want, and how fun that would be.

Ridill
    BG Level

Just 3 more Dresden Files books to go before I finish up those that are already released.
    And then I just need to wait another 12 years for the rest of the series to finish up!

Dresden Files spoiler sort of. future speculation.
    since book 9 or 10, I've become convinced that Dresden's teacher McCoy is the other Black Council traitor. Ever since one of the books started beating the reader over the head with "A traitor has got to be somebody you really trust, otherwise it couldn't be considered a betrayal." McCoy's had just enough influence on Dresden and keeps dropping subtle hints and comments that push him towards one path or another.
    Don't know if that's figured out in the next three books, though I'd doubt it considering he's still got about 11 more books to go and I'm assuming the black council stuff is going to be the overarching story for the entire series.
    either way, if it is figured out who the other traitor(s) is in the next three books, I would prefer to stay in the dark as I'll be done with the last three shortly. They only take me like six hours to read through.

Also; I know it was purely coincidental, but having this other wizard book with a main character named Harry is crazy and I usually avoid saying his first name when telling someone about the book lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    AMOL sucked. I've had a week to relax and mull it over. So many fails. NEED THIRD KINGKILLER CHRONICLE BOOK!
    Has he even started the third yet? I know the first two took like 12 years for him to write...

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

Just finished The Enemy by Charlie Higson.

It's Lord of the flies meets 28 days later is probably the best way I can describe it. really good stuff gonna start the second book pretty soon.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

heres a trailer for the book

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Just 3 more Dresden Files books to go before I finish up those that are already released.
    Hehehehe.

Wait until you get caught up with Cold Days.
    Seriously, no idle clicking.
    You are SO far off the mark.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Pooky View Post
    Has he even started the third yet? I know the first two took like 12 years for him to write...
    He's working on it, but he has no timeline for finishing it. It will probably take a few years still :/

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag