+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 201 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level

half way through Dresden Files Ghost Story.
    Least favorite book in the series thus far. I never thought I'd be hoping for a "do over/dream" type dealy, but I find myself hoping that this book ends with
    Spoiler: show
    Dresden back on the boat right before he gets shot and is able to avoid getting killed.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

lol

Ridill
    BG Level

ok, at least Ghost Story got better by the end.
    Still, really dislike the "skip 6 months and everyone and everything's vastly different now" thing.

Why do I have a horrible feeling Cold Days is going to end in another cliffhanger ending like Changes and Ghost Story?

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ardreul Galawen
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    ok, at least Ghost Story got better by the end.
    Still, really dislike the "skip 6 months and everyone and everything's vastly different now" thing.

Why do I have a horrible feeling Cold Days is going to end in another cliffhanger ending like Changes and Ghost Story?
    lol

Just so you know. i didn't like ghost story either. cold days is fucking sexy though.

Ridill
    BG Level

Cold Days done, and now the terribly shittiness of having to wait a year between each book begins.

The side story books any good?

Ridill
    BG Level

Cold Days done, and now the terribly shittiness of having to wait a year between each book begins.
    Don't know why I was in such a god damn hurry to get through the last few books lol

The side story books any good?

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    Hehehehe.

Wait until you get caught up with Cold Days.
    Seriously, no idle clicking.
    You are SO far off the mark.
    I still think McCoy could be "infected."
    Gatekeeper said he could detect it, but it was also said that it wasn't very reliable.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I read all the Zahn and Anderson books in the Star Wars Expanded Universe. Is anything else worth reading?

Ridill
    BG Level

fyi, Brandon Sanderson's answering some fan questions on twitter about AMOL

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Just finished Malazan #7, so good. All of my sad at ending though.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmagi View Post
    Just finished Malazan #7, so good. All of my sad at ending though.
    So much good and so much sad in those books. #7 is Reaper's Gale, right?
    The whole arc with Beak was really good and heartbreaking at the same time. Also poor Toc. Again.

Also I started the new Dresden book - Cold Days last night. Oh my gooood. Ghost Story was a little depressing, but this... this is amazing and incredibly hilarious like.... all of the time. So good. Harry I missed you.

Pretty much everything that happens at Harry's faerie "birthday party" is pure gold.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    I read all the Zahn and Anderson books in the Star Wars Expanded Universe. Is anything else worth reading?

Someone help me out, I'm lost. I have 400 books to choose from here.

Ridill
    BG Level

@Cold Days
    it get's progressively less hilarious as it goes on.
    Goes from hilarious to badass to epic to soul crushing sad.(well, last part could depend on your outlook.)

as far as something that happens at the end that I need clarification on;
    So Murphy and Dresden still aren't going to be dating or anything like that, but they agreed to be fuck buddies? Or are they still, "we can't change our relationship at all" still.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Yeah #7 was RG, I'll be picking up Cold Days after I finish the Malazan series. Has been really tempting, but I like to finish a series before moving onto another book.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Malazan's a big enough undertaking. Stick with it!

Ridill
    BG Level

So, I started up on Malazan after finishing up Dresden Files, since it has been talked about in passing on this thread lately and I'm 6% in, just started chapter 3, and my question is;
    How long until I know what the hell is going on?

I know there's a really sharp knowledge curve in a lot of fantasy/scifi, but all that I've been able to pick up so far is that there was an Emperor, he died and now there's an Empress. There's this little girl who was taken from her village and is now some super crazy powerful thingy, there was a battle? with magic? people died, there was a demon for a few seconds and now there's a doll possessed by some guy's soul and a girl who feels that fate(or some god type deal) is on her side. and the big boss of the mages want these bridgeburner dudes dead for some reason. and also that the majority of people are given oddly selected names for some reason

That about sum up chapter 1 and 2?

been a bit since ive read the series, but I think it took me about 1/2 the book to get into it. well worth sticking it out.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Someone help me out, I'm lost. I have 400 books to choose from here.
    That covers most of the ones I've personally read, though the New Jedi Order, Dark Nest Trilogy, Legacy of the Force, and Fate of the Jedi (listed chronologically) are the next series' in the EU. I've read parts of all of them, and they seem pretty good. Each series is all coordinated by a variety of authors working together to form a single huge story arc. New Jedi Order in particular is quite long, but will likely have more familiar faces than the later ones. Also, the later ones will probably allude to events in the earlier ones that you may not want to be spoiled.

In addition to what Bane said I would also throw out the X-Wing series. Back 15 years ago when they were being released I owned all of them in paper form and loved them.

I read through most of New Jedi Order as they were being released, then recently decided to pick a new series and started with Fate of the Jedi. There are tons of references to events from DNT and LotF, so if I was to do it again I would start with New Jedi Order and then follow the series chronologically from there.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    So, I started up on Malazan after finishing up Dresden Files, since it has been talked about in passing on this thread lately and I'm 6% in, just started chapter 3, and my question is;
    How long until I know what the hell is going on?

I know there's a really sharp knowledge curve in a lot of fantasy/scifi, but all that I've been able to pick up so far is that there was an Emperor, he died and now there's an Empress. There's this little girl who was taken from her village and is now some super crazy powerful thingy, there was a battle? with magic? people died, there was a demon for a few seconds and now there's a doll possessed by some guy's soul and a girl who feels that fate(or some god type deal) is on her side. and the big boss of the mages want these bridgeburner dudes dead for some reason. and also that the majority of people are given oddly selected names for some reason

That about sum up chapter 1 and 2?
    It took me a good bit to get into the first book, but I'm really glad I stuck with it. Felt a little odd and was hesitant at first, but things become easier to understand and it becomes easier to immerse yourself into it. There are a lot of characters, so at times you will have trouble keeping up with them all. Just stick with it, based on your previous tastes, you should be hooked pretty good by book 2 I'd think.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag