+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 199 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 106 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level

about half way through the 2nd malazan book and it's starting to lose me again.

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    about half way through the 2nd malazan book and it's starting to lose me again.
    It's been recommended so many times but I just can't force myself to finish reading through book 1, same with the Dark Tower series.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

If it's any consolation, I had similar issues with getting into it at first. I'm not sure exactly when I got completely hooked, but I couldn't really stop reading once reaching a certain threshold. Same thing with The prince of nothing/Aspect emperor series. Not the easiest books to get into immediately.

Ridill
    BG Level

prince of nothing I got into by the first half of the first book. took me 3/4 of the first malazan book to get into that, but it lost me again right at the beginning of book 2. I did get back into it pretty fast with a few characters, but most of the view points I have to try my damndest to get through.

and I think it's because I don't have any idea what any of the characters goals or motivations are. Most of the view points either have absolutely no idea what their doing or are keeping it to themselves and not filling in the reader.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Saw on CBS Sunday Morning that Ulysis S. Grant wrote amazing memoirs in the last weeks of his life. Free versions on Amazon.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Almost through "Magician's Gambit" which is the 3rd book of The Belgariad by David Eddings. My best friend read these back when we were in JR high and I was just finishing up another series and asked to borrow them. I am loving them, can't stop reading. :D

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

The Malazan books are really good, but really really big. And you're expected to piece a lot of things together on your own, over the course of like... 4000 pages. I can understand how not everyone would be into it.

Also I just finished the third Codex Alera book, and I think I'm okay with them now. Cursor's Fury? Definitely the most interesting of them so far.
    I've had too much Guild Wars 2 though, I think. No matter how hard I try to remember that the Canim are wolf-like, I still see them as Charr in my head.

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Dryr View Post
    Saw on CBS Sunday Morning that Ulysis S. Grant wrote amazing memoirs in the last weeks of his life. Free versions on Amazon.
    NO. Only thousand page fantasy/sci-fi in here. Get out with your non-fiction and possibly well-rounded taste.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

It is funny how almost all of the books mentioned in this thread fit that category. Then again, I'm not terribly surprised. Gaming forum, etc.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Finally worked my way through House of Leaves. Man, that's a hard book to read; I feel like I missed so much of it by not examining each footnote in depth, but there's no way I'm going back and reading it again.

It's an experimental novel written (and printed) in such an unusual style. It's good if you're into that, but if you're looking for a fast or easy read, I wouldn't recommend it. Some of the horror is actually quite good, and there's some explicit sex, but it's written in such an unusual style it's often hard to stay with it.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

house of leaves is an awesome book, and yeah you're missing out if you're not checking the footnotes.

i couldn't make it through only revolutions though. that one was just a little too far out there for me.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Just adding that Daylight War by Peter V. Brett, Demon Cycle, Book 3, came out like 2 weeks ago.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by shukudai View Post
    Just adding that Daylight War by Peter V. Brett, Demon Cycle, Book 3, came out like 2 weeks ago.
    Just torrented all three books on a whim. Series good?

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

!!!

Daylight war is out and I didn't know this?!

I'm ashamed.

The series is quite good imo.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

It ain't half bad. Not anywhere near my top 5, but a decent read.

Ridill
    BG Level

anyone able to PM me a place to find Harry Turtledove's worldwar invasion series in mobi? Can't seem to find it.

Vobent

Finished the first two books of Codex Alera, liking them so far. Definetly a change of pace from the last few books that I read which were pretty depressing.

Unfortunately the library doesn't have book 3 so I'm gunna read a few discworld books and try to get through book 3 of Robin Hobb's dragon city bullshit book..I have no faith that I'll finish that

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by mallister View Post
    house of leaves is an awesome book, and yeah you're missing out if you're not checking the footnotes.
    I read most of the footnotes, at least the ones that were part of the story. There were so many that appeared to be just references to materials which may or may not exist that it became tedious at times. Then there was the one that listed six pages of things that weren't in the house. Makes me wonder if I missed something.

Witty Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eticket Pogona
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    I read most of the footnotes, at least the ones that were part of the story. There were so many that appeared to be just references to materials which may or may not exist that it became tedious at times. Then there was the one that listed six pages of things that weren't in the house. Makes me wonder if I missed something.
    To be fair...

Spoiler: show
    None of it existed.

Zampano made the whole thing up. Unless there's a way for a blind man to watch a film and describe it in frame by frame detail.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

Wow. Just the description of what that book is is putting me to sleep

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag