BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eticket Pogona
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

His stuff is all over the map.

Fight Club, Survivor and Choke were pretty good.
    Haunted was hit and miss. He spread himself too thin in that one imo.
    Damned was humorous in parts but mediocre at best.
    Diary and Lullaby were just hideous.

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Read Tom Robbins if you like Palahniuk but want a bit more substance and length. Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates is great, as are most of his works.

side note: my girlfriend had chuck come into her restaurant a couple months back, so while she was chatting with a fairly cool author, Im walking around campus hearing Art Robinson (nutcase politician) spouting liberterian schtick. made me sad.

Witty Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eticket Pogona
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Just finished off No Country For Old Men. Good read. It was nice to get a bit more depth to the sheriff's character.

McCarthy's dialogue is a pain in the ass to read though you get used to it after a while.

I also preferred the film version of
    Spoiler: show
    Chigurgh's confrontation with Carla Jean even though the conversation is much better in the book.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Looking forward to Chuck's sequel to Damned coming out later this year.

Just finished Salvatore's newest book. It felt rushed and could have ended better, but hopefully his next one later in the summer ties up all the loose ends and closes the story nicely.

Ridill
    BG Level

Are the rest of Salvatore's books as blatent a ripoff of Lord of the Rings as the first 3 Legend of Drittz books?
    I read the first three and they were fine, but then I watched the Lord of the Ring trilogy for the first time and realized that the wererats were probably the only thing in those books not ripped out of LotR

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Sure there are parallels, but I don't agree that it is a complete ripoff. They are definitely a great read and you will find yourself greatly attached the characters and their world if you read more. I suggest reading the Dark Elf trilogy next, and you will see what I mean.

To give Salvatore and other authors credit- I will say that in my opinion it is probably difficult to separate your work from Tolkien's when writing these types of fantasy novels, lol

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I tried reading Sword of Shannara based off of a (bad) recommendation and it was the worst LOTR ripoff I have ever ever laid eyes on. I don't get what is with authors and copying a story and renaming the characters.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

well if that wasn't unoriginal enough for you he repeats the trilogy like 4 or 5 times with different names

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Getting on a long plane ride in 3 hours. Need some quick scifi recommendations (or anything new really).

Just finished a bunch of Dune books, caught up on Robert Jordan, can't figure out what else to read.

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Shannara are all horrible. The fact that people like any of them just proves why Twilight sells so many books.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Indalecia View Post
    Shannara are all horrible. The fact that people like any of them just proves why Twilight sells so many books.
    Haven't read them, and hopefully this isn't true, but:

Sonar Entertainment has acquired the rights to author Terry Brooks’ bestselling fantasy series “Shannara” and is partnering with Farah Films to produce a television series based on the books.

Farah Films principal Dan Farah and Sonar Entertainment CEO Stewart Till will exec produce with Brooks. Producers plan to recruit a showrunner and director before they shop the project to network buyers.

Set hundreds of years after the destruction of our civilization, series follows the Shannara family, who are empowered with ancient magic and whose adventures continuously reshape the future of the world. The plan is to base the show’s first season on “The Elfstones of Shannara,” the second book in the series.

The 20th bestselling book in the 25-year-old series has just premiered at No. 2 on the New York Times Bestsellers list. Two more books in the series are set to be published in 2013.

“Partnering with Sonar Entertainment and Farah Films on adapting the ‘Shannara’ saga for television is an exciting prospect,” said Brooks, who is repped by Anne Sibbald of Janklow and Nesbit Associates. “Everything about both companies suggests the result will be one that both old and new fans of the books will readily embrace. I am committed to doing everything I can to help make this happen.”

“Terry has created a rich world of characters and stories that have entertained millions of readers all around the world for a quarter of a century,” Farah said. “He has a built-in fanbase that is bigger than those for even the most recent hit book series, like ‘The Hunger Games.’ We’re very excited and proud to have the opportunity to partner with Terry in adapting his great work for the smallscreen.”

“Terry Brooks appeals to a huge and diverse cross-section of audiences throughout the world,” Till added. “There is an enormous desire to see ‘Shannara’ brought to life for television. We know this is going to be a terrific series that will both delight longtime fans and attract legions of new devotees.”

As a producer, Farah is currently developing a remake of “The Crow” at Relativity and an adaptation of Ernie Cline’s bestselling novel “Ready Player One” at Warner Bros., as well as an upcoming stage musical based on the Castle Rock comedy “Honeymoon in Vegas.” He’s also developing a sitcom for Tony Danza, “The Guys,” for ABC and ABC Studios.
    link

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Indalecia View Post
    Yeah, tried reading one of them, but just didn't click with me at all. Loved the "Magic Kingdom for Sale" series though.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

I remember reading a couple of the Shannara books, and thinking they were pretty decent, but I was like 12 and they still didnt grab my attention like a lot of series have. I do remember thinking it was pretty similar to lotr.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Just finished Gun Machine by Warren Ellis. It was a great detective noir about an apartment that is full of guns organized in a pattern spread across the whole apartment. I picked it up because I really enjoy his comic book writing and this was a lot of fun. Highly recommended.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

I have that on my wishlist on audible. I'll be sure to check it out

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I couldn't stomach Elfstones of Shannara in sixth grade. I don't even want to know what I'd think of it now, lol.

I've kept on with Chuckie P. because it's what my kindle is loaded down with atm.

Read:
    Rant
    Snuff
    Choke
    Pygmy (halfway)
    (and rewatched Fight Club)

uhhhh I think I'm ready for something else now. Maybe something with dragons in it.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

really enjoying the painted man.

It's like Final fantasy the spirits within but with demons and also not terrible.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinox View Post
    really enjoying the painted man.

It's like Final fantasy the spirits within but with demons and also not terrible.
    3rd book in that series came out last month. It is his first book (the painted man), it's pretty good. 2nd and 3rd are even better.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Looking for book recommendations. Was never a big reader but game of thrones(tv show), got me into reading the series. I finished all the books up to date, and I started The Lord of the rings. I started with the hobbit, and I'm currently reading the fellowship. I was planning on reading the Harry potter books afterwards.

Any recommendations for the future? Looking for similar fantasy themed books involving magic, sword fighting, castles/kingdoms, lore, etc.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

The Kingkiller Chronicle series by Patrick Rothfuss

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag