+ Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 201 FirstFirst ... 23 63 71 72 73 74 75 83 123 ... LastLast
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I'm currently reading Divergent right now, it's like a mix of the Hunger Games, Enders Game and Harry Potter kinda all rolled into one. It's mostly aimed for young adults so there's a bit of angst and teen romance, but all in all its a pretty intense book. Lots of violence for a book of this genre too. I was able to get it on sale for Black Friday and i'm 90 pages away from finishing it. It's definitely a page turner. The other big reason I picked it is because it's coming out as a movie March 2014 and I have a hard on for books turned movie.

Just saw a preview for Divergent tonight before Catching Fire. I immediately assumed it had to be a YA series. Clearly nothing wrong with that in my old ass book, as I read and loved all three series you just mentioned. I will have to check it out.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Doombear View Post
    Just saw a preview for Divergent tonight before Catching Fire. I immediately assumed it had to be a YA series. Clearly nothing wrong with that in my old ass book, as I read and loved all three series you just mentioned. I will have to check it out.
    I bought Divergent on iBooks for $3.99, Insurgent for $6.99(Full Priced) and Allegiant on Kindle ($3.99). There's a sale going on but I don't know how long it will last or if its already over.

I finished both Divergent and Insurgent last night and i'm half way through Allegiant, it's definitely a great series.

EDIT: Just finished Allegiant, I got dem feelz. Reminds me of the way I felt after finishing The Last of Us.

Ridill
    BG Level

I really like the Dresden Files and I just finished the first Alera Codex book and while it was alright, I had a real hard time not getting bored through the action, a problem I didn't have for Dresden files. I found myself skipping through a lot of the action. Is that just me?

Woodwork Football Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    I really like the Dresden Files and I just finished the first Alera Codex book and while it was alright, I had a real hard time not getting bored through the action, a problem I didn't have for Dresden files. I found myself skipping through a lot of the action. Is that just me?
    Nope, this is exactly the same for me. My brother-in-law got me into Dresden Files and bought me all of Codex Alera as a gift as a result, but I read the first one and just kind of...decided to read other things instead of continuing. Now I just stare at them guiltily every time I see them on the shelf. So yeah, glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about them.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I feel like they absolutely got better as the books progressed. I wasn't a huge fan of the eventual antagonists, but it still improved a lot and grew on me.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

The Codex Alera series were great. The first one was extremely slow. Dark is 100% right it improved each time a new one came out.

Ridill
    BG Level

About 40% through the third Codex book and I still have the same feelings. I'm skipping through a lot of the action, skimming though the Bernard/Amara cause I don't give a shit about their stuff, and just not all that invested in any of the characters really and I'm not really sure why I keep reading it. I guess just because I just want to see what happens and where this all leads (which I am pretty sure I know given how the books have been titled) and seeing the end game is the one thing pushing me on since they are quick easy books to get through. I should be through the whole series in time for the next Dresden book which is supposedly coming out Jan 16th.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I know that I got a good portion of the books that I put on my Christmas list. With that said, one of the authors that I didn't put on there that I'm interested in is Chuck Palahniuk. What books from him would you guys recommend? I have a Kindle Fire HDX, and I'm not sure if I should continue ordering physical books or get them on the Kindle. They both have pros and cons, what do you guys suggest.

Fight Club is a must if you have never read it. Even if you have seen the movie. Invisible Monsters, Choke, and Lullaby I really liked. Snuff and Pygmy were also great, but not for everyone.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy's View Post
    I know that I got a good portion of the books that I put on my Christmas list. With that said, one of the authors that I didn't put on there that I'm interested in is Chuck Palahniuk. What books from him would you guys recommend? I have a Kindle Fire HDX, and I'm not sure if I should continue ordering physical books or get them on the Kindle. They both have pros and cons, what do you guys suggest.
    I personally like reading through my iPad Mini either through iBooks or Kindle. I prefer kindle since its multiplatform. I like being able to make the background dark and the text white since I usually read late at night before I go to bed with the lights off.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

About 40% through the third Codex book and I still have the same feelings. I'm skipping through a lot of the action, skimming though the Bernard/Amara cause I don't give a shit about their stuff, and just not all that invested in any of the characters really and I'm not really sure why I keep reading it. I guess just because I just want to see what happens and where this all leads (which I am pretty sure I know given how the books have been titled) and seeing the end game is the one thing pushing me on since they are quick easy books to get through. I should be through the whole series in time for the next Dresden book which is supposedly coming out Jan 16th.
    I finished it because I almost always finish series. Bernard and Amara were so damn annoying. It's fine, but definitely not an amazing series.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sakura Kinomoto
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    The Codex Alera series were great. The first one was extremely slow. Dark is 100% right it improved each time a new one came out.
    Personally enjoyed the Codex Alera series myself. Loved the idea behind the elemental beings and whatnot. My only wish from that series was building on them more. Butcher put a lot of emphasis on inter-personal relationships, when he could have done a lot more with exploring how the elements interact. (Personal bias, so whatevs, still enjoyed it)

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

As much as I love physical books, the Kindle versions are much more convenient/accessible. These days I generally only buy hard-copies for medium-small collections I love and want to just stick on the shelf and say "That's my favorite series!"

because my digital library is already large enough to swamp my apartment (if it were converted into hard-copies), and it's not going to stop growing. And I can carry the entire thing around with my in my bag all at once. Haven't run out of storage space yet. The Kindle is also just as easy to read as a hardcopy; indeed, maybe easier, as you don't need to hold it open. The only downsides to E-Readers are the loss of tactile stimulus (but really, that's not something you need in EVERY book. Only the special ones) and in the non-liquid-paper designs (basically any tablet or phone just running the kindle app) you can get the usual screen eye strain, since you're literally staring at a computer screen for hours on end. Liquid paper screens don't cause that. But that's not a problem for everyone.

I finished Good Omens a few months ago and followed that up with American Gods. Just picked up Neverwhere and i'm enjoying it so far. How is the tv series or whatever it is?

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level

Any modern horror novels people would recommend? I just finished reading "The Mall" by SL Grey. Was quite awesome.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

transcript of any national news channel?

Ridill
    BG Level

Skin Game's not coming out until the very end of May now? :/

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

20% through Doctor Sleep. Aside from all the child abuse they just piled on in the beginning, i'm enjoying it.
    I think I may have guessed a part of the ending though. don't tell me if I'm wrong or not.
    Spoiler: show
    I have a feeling Dan will defeat the True Knot people by freeing the Overlook Hotel ghosts from his mental lockbox and having them attack them.
    Pretty darn good guess.
    Just finished Doctor Sleep the other night (ironically, because I couldn't sleep), I really enjoyed it. As you said, this book didn't feel like horror, but honestly, most of King's books in recent years haven't been so much horror so much as suspense. His last few novels -- Doctor Sleep, 11/22/63, Under the Dome, Wind Through the Keyhole -- have all seemed to be that way. I think his focus as a writer has just slowly evolved since his early days.

I've actually liked his recent stuff as much as anything he's ever done.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag