Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Yeah, I feel the same way and that's probably one of the biggest compliments a reader could pay.

Ridill
    BG Level

Amazon kindle sale so I'm going to pick up Thrawn Alliances, Witcher; Time of Contempt, RR Martin's A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, and Alistair Reynold's Revenger for $3 each.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Thrawn Alliances isn't very good. Have fun with Witcher and the rest though.

I'm out of town for the weekend doing wedding planning and I forgot my fucking iPad.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Should I read The Name of the Wind? I've heard this guy stopped writing the series.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    Should I read The Name of the Wind? I've heard this guy stopped writing the series.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    yes, even though he will probably never finish I highly recommend the first book

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

You can stop after the first book. On a different note, The First Law trilogy from Joe Abercrombie was thoroughly enjoyable. Highly recommend.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Anyone read Andrew Rowe's Broken Mirrors or Arcane Accensuon? Pretty easy read/listen but I am enjoying it.

I'll probably finish off the last 4 Malazan books after Stealing Sorcery.

@Souj Witchers are good. You should read them all starting with the short stories. I've never played the games but I loved the books. a Knight in the Seven Kingdoms is also really good. If he's not going to finish TWOW I wish he would drop more Dunk and Egg.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

To add to the Andrew Rowe books.

One is a litrpg single pov style academy settings, Arcane Accension. It's similiar to The Name of the Wind and the same voice talent. The other more like a Sanderson book, Broken Mirrors. The two series take place in the same world a couple hundred years apart.
    I've been listening to these aince they are easy to follow and short.

Ridill
    BG Level

Finished Foundryside. Looking forward to the next book.

Finished Witcher; Time of Contempt. Whole book was just sequel-bait it seemed, though it was still a good read.

Halfway through Knight of the Seven Kingdoms. I feel bad for not reading it until now because I'm liking it. Only reason I hadnt was out of spite for no Winds of Winter.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    I'd push you towards Empire of Silence, biggest surprise of the year for me.
    I just finished this an hour ago. Fantastic book, just pissed off I now have to wait 1-2yrs now particularly because...:

Spoiler: show
    ...the next sequence is going to be sick with Had + Myrmidon crew + Valka + alien jellyfish that sometimes go bananas + etc commencing a sick space opera fellowship to seek peace with an ancient enemy, while also likely discovering the nature of the first beings/Silent Ones (species that made the ruins at Calagah).

Definitely will keep an eye on the series. Only flaw from my perspective is excessive amount of exposition employed in certain segments which drag the pace a bit.

Also, I'm flying to Jackson Hole tomorrow to ski for 5 days. Would love another good rec for a completed series like this one; been a while since I hit the space opera genre. Completed only though! Hate myself for reading Empire of Silence now...

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Reading the Seven Realms books by Cinda Williams Chima. Finished the Demon King and working on the 2nd one. Really liking it so far. Anyone read the whole series? If so, any major narrative problems by the end?

Ridill
    BG Level

I bought the first book literally three years ago and still haven't read it yet.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I haven't been able to read nearly as much as I've wanted to because of RL bullshit getting in the way. Should finally clear my schedule this weekend and get down to some reading. I have a ton of shit piled up to get through.

Ridill
    BG Level

Last book in Lightbringer series, The Burning Light, has a release date; 10/22/19.

Unrelated, I read Emporer of the Eight Islands; the Tale of Shikanoko. Really fast read, the story itself goes through events really fast- a lot of the time it feels like you're actually reading a wiki plot summary. Certain characters still manage to get some good development in but others (including the namesake character) feel like they dont really get any at all and only go along with what the story demands. Setting is Fantasy Japanese setting, which theres not a whole lot of those to get your fill of, so that's a win for it.

Up until near the very end I was happy enough with the book that I was going to pick up the second in the series. But then I got to page 244 of 249 and the book instantly turned me against it with a single sentance, followed by the next 4 pages just pissing me off more and ending with what could have just passed for another chapter end with zero closure on any of the plot threads that began in the book.

If you think you might read it, dont click the spoiler, the book is a pretty short read. Otherwise, here's what pissed me off.
    Spoiler: show
    just including relevant summary.

So the main protagonist gets the magic stag mask that has magical magic powers that makes him one with nature and also ultra horny. Anyway, everyone in this story except children are dicks, but that's fine because it's the same in real life. Except main protagonist isnt a dick, hes a nice guy just trying to get through what life's dealt him. He ends up serving as an apprentice to what would qualify as the big antagonist in the story and Protagonist is sent out to kill the child who should be emporer and the princess. The antagonist uses magic to make sure Protagonist obeys him but Protagonist actually bests the Antagonist and breaks free from his control and he saves the child emporer and the princess instead. Awesome. Five pages left.

They lay down for the night. Protagonist is like hey, there's this girl next to me and it's making me feel funny in my pants. I should go meditate to clear my mind and prepare for what's to come tomorrow. Let me go put on this magic mask that MAKES ME ULTRA HORNY. And then he rapes the girl and when he's done, he throws off the masks runs out of the tent and cries until he wakes up in the morning. Princess ran away. Then he's like, maybe murdering the emperor child will make me feel better, so hes about to do that but his horse and bird companion attack him and flee with the emporer, breaking the mask in the process. The book ends with what's basically a shoulder shrug and the protagonist saying he's gonna go deep in the woods and either die or fix himself.

Ridill
    BG Level

Apocalypse Now Now
    Urban Fantasy set in West Africa. Kind of like high-school Dresden Files with African mythology but crank up the "Edginess," which I'm never a fan of but I did manage to get through it, so I guess that's a positive toward it lol

I was going to try and gather my thoughts on this book and put them here, but as my train of thought starts rolling, the EDGY derails it. So I'll leave it short and sweat. Even without the edge, it relies on a few idiot decisions to move the plot along with a few But Whys. It started to scratch the Dresden itch but got lost along the way.

Guess it's time to start Dirty Streets of Heaven, though I'm starting to believe the Dreaden Files is a fluke of Urban Fantasy that I enjoy.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

May be YA, but really enjoyed Skyward (Sanderson)

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Young Adult is a pretty arbitrary genre. Some of them are pretty clearly written specifically for younger readers, while others just happen to have younger characters and family-friendly(ish) content.

Personally, I never let the label scare me off anything.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

There's one book series I was recommended that was labeled J (juvenile) and oh man is it one of the best series I ever read. "Lockwood & Co." by Johnathan Stroud. Reaaad iiiiit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    May be YA, but really enjoyed Skyward (Sanderson)
    Just started this today, Sanderson has hit a home run with every other book i've read, and has quickly become my favorite author. I'm trying my best not to read all his stuff in one go. So at the moment i'm reading one of his books, then two others, then i come back around.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

He's the most consistent author in the world, bar none. Sets dates, hits em, writes great stories. I've heard complaints that he's a bit formulaic but who the fuck isn't?

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag