+ Reply to Thread
Page 160 of 199 FirstFirst ... 110 150 158 159 160 161 162 170 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level

Finished George RR Martin’s 1982 novel Fevre Dream. Vampire novel taking place right before the civil war on the Mississippi River. It has (mostly) none of the trapping you would expect from Game of Thrones aside from maybe how he gets into his food descriptions some times.
    Dude did some boat research. A lot of research. He must have loved him some boats.
    Southern slave-era America, and he makes use of the N- word, though only really negatively when spoken through antagonistic forces. The protagonist isn’t exactly trying to start a revolution, but he is against the way slaves are treated. Still, hard not to think of old-white-guy just typing it out because he could, for the sake of 'realism.' What was more egregious was how every black character talked the same exact way in that stereotypical southern slave-talk way. I mean, they were in the south, and maybe that is actually historically, accurately how they talked, but it still took me out of it.
    Speaking of the protagonist, he’s a fat dude with a big beard and a captains hat. Kind of the spitting image of Martin himself it seems, though who wore the look first, him or his character, I don’t know.

I felt it needed a better antagonist.

Ridill
    BG Level

Kindle's got some more than a few books on sale. Picked up Evan Winter's The Rage of Dragons, Fonda Lee's Jade City, M.L. Wang's The Sword of Kaigen, Martha Wells' All Systems Red, Sylvain Neuvel's Sleeping giants, Pedro Urvi's Traitor's Son and Pratchett's Guards! Guards!, which will be my first Pratchett book.
    $5 for Pratchett, $0.99 - $3.99 for the rest.

Ridill
    BG Level

All Systems Red; novella with an interesting perspective, that of a cyborg. Quick read and certainly worth the time.

Sleeping Giants: I honestly only picked this up because the 3rd book in the series had the same name I chose for my own in-progress novel. It’s in the reports-style of World War Z except instead of zombies is giant mysterious body parts that a secret government institution is trying to find and Voltron together. It’s a good novel, though by the end it certainly is restricted by its style and has to go through some extensive hoops to keep it.

Guards! Guards! I admit, when I first started this, I did not like it. It was too...smarmy? Almost stopped reading it. But at some point, I think at the point I realized serious stuff was actually happening, and by the time I finished, I immediately bought Men at Arms despite having all those other books in my last post to read.

Ridill
    BG Level

Dresden Files Peace Talks done. I waited for paperback release for it, but I might just have to buy Battle Grounds twice so I can read it now.

Ridill
    BG Level

I’m only a few chapters on thus far, but Sword of Kaigen may be the closest you’ll get to a Naruto fantasy novel.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

About to finish Jade City by Fonda Lee. It's a decent read. Not sure when I'll start Jade War. I also have the two Thrawn Ascendancy novels in my queue.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    About to finish Jade City by Fonda Lee. It's a decent read. Not sure when I'll start Jade War. I also have the two Thrawn Ascendancy novels in my queue.
    I just finished Jade City before Peace Talks. I liked how the fantasy part of it was played down, basically just background for the story. Good read, but the synopsis for Jade War kind of had me putting it off for now.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

The magic system of Jade is a bit unexplained. Sure it talks about the limits and drawbacks, but the lack of actual mechanisms explanations are to be desired and we get soft magic handwaving as a result. Channeling is a bit wtf that's for sure.

Ridill
    BG Level

For sure under-explained, but I didn’t mind that honestly. It could certainly lead to so problems later depending on how the author decides to problem-solve, but the first story was basically just a mafia family drama type story and Jade could have been just guns and swords or giant mecha and it wouldn’t have changed much.

Ridill
    BG Level

Sword of Kaigen is really good.

Well, guess I’m going to start A Practical Guide to Evil.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Just FYI: OutofPrint.com has egiftcards for 30% off, and they send you a $10 off code after (can use both at the same time).

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Good good. I'm halfway through book 8 now

Ridill
    BG Level

Hard decisions must be made. Ive been getting rid of all my physical books (except Dresden Files, Stormlight, and the 40k Ravenor omnibus i paid $40 for when it was out of print.) Now, I still have the ASoIaF books because I was going to reread them before the next book came out.
    I'm packing up to move right now and I'm looking at these GRRM books and wondering... Will I ever actually need to reread them? Will that next book ever come out? I feel like I'm safe getting rid of them, sadly. And if I do and the next book actually does come out, well, I suppose I'd still be happy about it having to reobtain them.

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

And here I am increasing my physical library. I can't read novels on the tablet anymore, I need the book in my hands.

BG Level

same, i've stuffed every textbook and science journal i have into my closet, rearranged as carefully as possibly, gotten bookends to establish pseudo shelves in other locations, and still overflowing to the point spare books are currently littering my desk, dresser, and piano bench. it may be time for another bookshelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    Hard decisions must be made. Ive been getting rid of all my physical books (except Dresden Files, Stormlight, and the 40k Ravenor omnibus i paid $40 for when it was out of print.) Now, I still have the ASoIaF books because I was going to reread them before the next book came out.
    I'm packing up to move right now and I'm looking at these GRRM books and wondering... Will I ever actually need to reread them? Will that next book ever come out? I feel like I'm safe getting rid of them, sadly. And if I do and the next book actually does come out, well, I suppose I'd still be happy about it having to reobtain them.
    i'm p confident Winds will come out and Dream of Spring will not. hopefully they don't give it to Sanderson or someone after Martin kicks it.

Ridill
    BG Level

Sanderson wouldn't take it even if he was offered. Not his tone and certainly way too time consuming when he's got a thousand of his own books to write a year.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Give A Dream of Spring to Patrick Rothfuss.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

BG Level

does your sadism know no bounds

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I dunno how I missed this thread before.

But:

1) Anyone ever read the Felix Castor Novels?
    2) Tyrath, how far are you into the Malazan books? I started 'em years ago and finished the mainline ones. Student recommended the first one to me. Took a while to get into, but like you, I was hooked by the end of the first one.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag