+ Reply to Thread
Page 129 of 199 FirstFirst ... 79 119 127 128 129 130 131 139 179 ... LastLast

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

i've heard they aren't great (and i've heard that description is being kind) but i haven't read them myself.

just started What the Hell Did I Just Read? and by david wong and it's pretty great so far. if you dug the other two, John Dies at the End and This Book is Full of Spiders, get it.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I had forgotten that Sanderson was releasing 3 chapters a week on his website for Oathbringer.

I'm almost caught up.

Finished Fatherland and a quick Name of the Wind reread.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I made it through book 3 of Sword of Truth series and decided to stop before I'm disappointed. Starting Malazan book of the Fallen tonight. I might go back and finish Ravens Shadow. I remember being so bored of it after book 2, although it started great, I didn't read the third.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level

Picked up physical copies of Way of Kings, Words of Radiance, Warbreaker, and Edgedancer. Just about to finish Way of Kings, going to be reading Warbreaker after. Any idea on when I should be reading Edgedancer?

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Finished "The Core" (book 5 / final book of the Demon Cycle series) last night. Decent enough series overall, but didn't knock my socks off. If you're looking for a new and fully complete series, I think it's worth giving a shot to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    I made it through book 3 of Sword of Truth series and decided to stop before I'm disappointed. Starting Malazan book of the Fallen tonight. I might go back and finish Ravens Shadow. I remember being so bored of it after book 2, although it started great, I didn't read the third.
    Oh god, Sword of Truth is fucking terrible; I don't care how many copies he's sold. I did the same thing years ago and got through ~3-4 books before saying "Why the hell am I still reading this?"

Malazan is a great series, but it takes some patience and a good memory to really enjoy. The sheer number of characters / magics / gods / locations / etc makes ASoIaF look like a children's book series. That said, if you can make it through, you'll be rewarded with some of the best characters in the fantasy genre period. The entire Bridgeburners crew (particularly Whiskeyjack and Fiddler), Anomander Rake, Icarium, Trull, Karsa Orlong, and Tehol + Bugg are just so good; the scenes with the last two literally had my crying with laughter at certain points. The first book (Gardens of the Moon) is not the greatest, but it starts picking up nicely in Deadhouse Gates with the Chain of Dogs sequence, then continues to cruise along nicely outside of some lowpoints, which happens when you write a 11,000+ page epic series.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by bori View Post
    Picked up physical copies of Way of Kings, Words of Radiance, Warbreaker, and Edgedancer. Just about to finish Way of Kings, going to be reading Warbreaker after. Any idea on when I should be reading Edgedancer?

After Words and Warbreaker.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    Finished "The Core" (book 5 / final book of the Demon Cycle series) last night. Decent enough series overall, but didn't knock my socks off. If you're looking for a new and fully complete series, I think it's worth giving a shot to it.

Oh god, Sword of Truth is fucking terrible; I don't care how many copies he's sold. I did the same thing years ago and got through ~3-4 books before saying "Why the hell am I still reading this?"

Malazan is a great series, but it takes some patience and a good memory to really enjoy. The sheer number of characters / magics / gods / locations / etc makes ASoIaF look like a children's book series. That said, if you can make it through, you'll be rewarded with some of the best characters in the fantasy genre period. The entire Bridgeburners crew (particularly Whiskeyjack and Fiddler), Anomander Rake, Icarium, Trull, Karsa Orlong, and Tehol + Bugg are just so good; the scenes with the last two literally had my crying with laughter at certain points. The first book (Gardens of the Moon) is not the greatest, but it starts picking up nicely in Deadhouse Gates with the Chain of Dogs sequence, then continues to cruise along nicely outside of some lowpoints, which happens when you write a 11,000+ page epic series.
    Awesome. I actually had someone sell me all of them in hardcover for really cheap. He never read them.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I'm about halfway through Gardens of the Moon and I'm enjoying it so far. So many characters and so much going on. The information in the front and back of the book is helpful keeping track.

Ridill
    BG Level

Malazan is a real great series, but man, I think I spent the majority of the first book completely clueless about what was actually going on.

I'm between reading The Warded Man next or City of Stairs.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

It's not to bad so far but I'm taking my time. I go back and study the maps provided and some off of the wiki to get an idea of where things are happening. I've referenced the characters page and God's/Houses a few times.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Got some reading done on vacations.

Also, went to the Shakespeare Book Company in Paris and grabbed a couple of cool hardcovers. I got an original Starship Troopers, a cool Animal Farm, and a UK Harry Potter Book 2 for my niece.

Finished Stone of Farewell and To the Green Angel Tower from Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Tad Williams. Pretty solid read. Some interesting pacing choices but solid.

I go offered some free book on Goodreads by some dingus named Brett Arquette called Operation Hail Storm.

It's fucking unreadable. One of the worst things I've seen in text form in years. Grammar errors, terrible terrible charactres, over-used tropes.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

Tell me that's not some fucking vote rigging.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Also, they have Artemis by Andy Weir nominated for an award.

The book doesn't release til November.

Ridill
    BG Level

How is Tad Williams? I picked up Dirty Streets of Heaven awhile ago but haven't gotten to it yet.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I really like him. Pretty solid.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

His The War of the Flowers is a pretty good read.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

i read memory, sorry and thorn ages ago. concur, solid but some pacing issues and long.

check out his otherland series. it's pretty good too, though the idea's been taken and run with half a dozen times since the books came out.

Ridill
    BG Level

I started reading Catch-22. It was an interesting, fun to read book at first, but is quickly feeling repetitive and stale with the way it just keeps doing the same things over and over. Should I keep reading through or should I expect just more of the same?

Basically, is there more to this book than rapid fire silly conversations with dark undertones?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

@Wulfgang - I was up way to late reading last night. I'll probably finish book 1 tonight. I'm actually vested and intrigued by all the characters, especially Anomander Rake. I'll go right into book 2 once I finish. I'll have to put the Words of Radiance reread on the back burner for now.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Stormlight Archive #3 out tomorrow; /amped

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

I'm still doing my reread of #2.

On that note -
    I am a stick.
    I am a stick.
    I am a stick.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag