+ Reply to Thread
Page 137 of 199 FirstFirst ... 87 127 135 136 137 138 139 147 187 ... LastLast
    D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by gaira View Post
    there's maybe 6 books worth of material before everything just repeats over and over, was obvioius brooks was out of ideas or just encouraged to milk the series dry. enjoyable as a young adult i guess, but wouldn't recommend them today.
    I recently finished "Dark Legacy of Shannara" and found it enjoyable as hell (esp how it handled my favorite character in the series), but yeah, I do agree he recycles ALOT of material/story.

If choosing to delve in Shannara, i'd recommend: Elfstones > Wishsong > Voyage of Jerle Shannara trilogy (you only miss out on Walker Boh's origins by skipping boring Scions Quadrology) > High Druid Trilogy > Dark Legacy.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Aw I liked the Scions stuff. Except for book 2 I guess, that was some boring shit.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    Aw I liked the Scions stuff. Except for book 2 I guess, that was some boring shit.
    I loved Elf Queen of it, but every time I try to get back into it, I lose interest because its SO slow! Hell the first book is just the background setup. I also barely remember book 2 & 4 other then it was boring. Felt same way about Sword.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Elf Queen is definitely the high point of the series, all of Wren's stuff reads almost like a direct sequel to Elfstones which was probably the best of the original trilogy.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Finished Michael Hayden's Playing to the Edge and The Assault on Intelligence and about to start Robert Gates' Duty. Are there any other good books out there of a similar nature?

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by bungiefan View Post
    I just finished the Three Body Problem trilogy and liked it, though I wish the ending went a bit farther to say what happened rather than leaving it open.

COnsidering starting either the Destroyermen series or the Witcher series (haven't played any of the games yet).
    The remembrance of earths past series was awesome. I gotta say I felt satisfied with the ending.

I finished Sleeping Giants and I have to say I really didn’t like it. The dialog between the interviewer and the main characters felt pretentious and masturbatory like the author was arguing with himself. Once I realized that it pretty much ruined the rest of the book.

Children of Time is weird and I’ve been waiting on it to pick up. Is it literally about monkeys and spiders? If so I might drop it because it feels dumb and this isn’t my type of sci-fi.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I need a book that really gets me back into reading again. Something that fucking captures me and gets me back to a book or more a month. I'm so tired of videogames and people lately and really want something hard to put down and fun.

I was thinking Jurassic Park, any other suggestions?

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Lord of the Rings.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Or if you haven't read the Dresden Files, read the Dresden Files (or Codex Alera).
    Or reread them if you have.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

To go along with easier reading like Dresden Files, Red Rising trilogy.

Ridill
    BG Level

Son of a bitch. I should have known as I got closer to the end, but Abercrombie's First Law trilogy is left with some pretty big loose ends.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    Son of a bitch. I should have known as I got closer to the end, but Abercrombie's First Law trilogy is left with some pretty big loose ends.
    Yes. You can certainly dive deeper with someone his other books but he doesn't tie things up.

Ridill
    BG Level

I own the first book in the Demon Cycle series by Peter V Brett but haven't read it yet. I can get all 4 on Kindle for $24. The whole series worth reading?

After finishing The First Law series I went on a comic reading binge and just went back to books a little bit ago. Nearly done with the Warhammer 40k Ultramarines Omnibus and man it's a bit disappointing considering what potential it could have had but the protagonist is just so boring.

Reading Redemption Ark by Alastair Reynolds next and I hope it's good because I have a feeling Revelation Space might be hard to live up to.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Reynolds's stuff is weird. But good.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I like his stuff but yeah, it's WAY out there.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I own the first book in the Demon Cycle series by Peter V Brett but haven't read it yet. I can get all 4 on Kindle for $24. The whole series worth reading?
    In my opinion, very. I thought they were excellent. However, after spending 5 years explaining how his 5 books cycle would be the complete story, he fairly obviously spends the last 100 pages setting up a sequel series.

He also does the thing I wish more authors do, he kills off major characters during the series - one of the things I liked about David Weber and the Harrington series.

He does however finish all the main storylines off within the series, so it's not some cliffhanger type deal.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

If I never see another Harrington book I'll be happy. Shit spiraled downhill.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Haha I think I have an angry post in here somewhere ages ago about the First Law Trilogy ending. Abercrombie is all about antiheroes; you'll rarely get a nice, clean ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Fam,

I've been reading a ton of scifi but I've kinda run dry a bit.

I reread Altered Carbon, read The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch (A little meh), and the third Themis Files book (Great)

I'm looking to pivot into something else, maybe some military fiction, maybe some grimdark 40k shit.

IDK. I need some new ideas.
    Anthony Ryan just released the final book of the Draconis Memoria series a week ago. He entered the scene with Blood Song several years ago which was fucking fantastic (latter two books not so much). Current series is effectively industrial revolution-esque setting with some flintflock fantasy action + dragons + Mistborn-esque magic system based on said dragon blood. I've really enjoyed it. Lot of great storylines, world building, political intrigue, and good action; bonus if you enjoy heavy naval action. It's also fully complete which is a big consideration for me these days (fuck you GRRM); Sanderson's Stormlight Archive is one of the few where I'll pounce on each release as it comes.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/158...aconis-memoria

Demon Cycle started great, then trailed off a bit for me, but worth a read. Arlan's eventual love interest / wife is just the worst; severely diminished my enjoyment of the series.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I appreciate the recommendation, I've got two things to get through at the moment and it looks like I may be getting forced into an executive MBA program here.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Fam,

I'm looking to pivot into something else, maybe some military fiction, maybe some grimdark 40k shit.

IDK. I need some new ideas.
    I missed this somehow. I've got a few 40k books under my belt now. Idk if you've read any before but I could give a few suggestions depending on what you're looking for.

If you're looking to get into the universe than the first three Horus Heresy books would be where to start.

Just looking for a real good story then it doesnt get much better than Eisenhorn trilogy.

Caiphas Cain series is a much lighter tone than any of the other books and Caiphas is one of my favorite 40k protags. It also gives a good intro so several of the nonhuman species throughout the two omnibuses. - and while making sure I spelled his name right, I just discovered a 3rd omnibus comes out just in time for my birthday, so I'm thrilled about that.

Looking to jump right into as much grimdark as you can handle then go with Wordbearer Omnibus which is mostly from the perspective of Chaos Space Marines and all their fucked up shenanigans. If Kratos from God of War was a cenobite from Hellraiser, you pretty much get a chaos space marine.
    - I don't remember how starter friendly this series is, but none of the 40k books are difficult to get into.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag