+ Reply to Thread
Page 123 of 199 FirstFirst ... 73 113 121 122 123 124 125 133 173 ... LastLast
    We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

I was talking about which was more annoying with a friend recently; Rothfuss, who is taking forever to release the third Kingkiller book ostensibly out of some insane sense of artistic perfectionism, or Martin who is taking forever to finish GoT because the series has allowed him to revive what was a failed career as a T.V. writer?

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    I was talking about which was more annoying with a friend recently; Rothfuss, who is taking forever to release the third Kingkiller book ostensibly out of some insane sense of artistic perfectionism, or Martin who is taking forever to finish GoT because the series has allowed him to revive what was a failed career as a T.V. writer?
    I don't think that's actually the reason with Martin as his gaps started well before the TV show. His issue is he completely changed the outline of the series after Storm of Swords and now has no idea how to make everything work.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Martin has been torturing me for 2 decades, Rothfuss only for 1 decade.

Martin is worse.

Thread related:

Started The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. by Neil Stephenson, pretty solid story so far. I'm about 35% done.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

i mean the waiting obviously sucks but these are the crowning achievements of these artists' lives, they can take however long they need to get it right. these works will long outlive them, and us, and them being 'perfect' is a lot more important than them being quick.

in other news finished The Witcher saga, good rec. always interesting to get hit with a built world that doesn't hail from the traditional medieval England with a little France and Germany fantasy perspective. still discernibly Western but dripping with Slavic myth and Eastern European sensibilities. and Latin, for some reason.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Read The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro. Genuinely enjoyed it, thought it had a charming cast and affecting story. Fantasy books from the perspectives of the elderly are rare enough, but I haven't read any novel quite like this one, dealing with memory loss and the obligation of people and cultures to remember uncomfortable truths.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    i mean the waiting obviously sucks but these are the crowning achievements of these artists' lives, they can take however long they need to get it right. these works will long outlive them, and us, and them being 'perfect' is a lot more important than them being quick.

in other news finished The Witcher saga, good rec. always interesting to get hit with a built world that doesn't hail from the traditional medieval England with a little France and Germany fantasy perspective. still discernibly Western but dripping with Slavic myth and Eastern European sensibilities. and Latin, for some reason.
    I disagree with "being perfect" Arguably, LOTR is not perfect, but its still a great novel(s). Robert Jordan didn't even finish WoT and Martin has said that if he doesn't finish ASOIAF no one will. I'll cast my vote for speed. But to each their own.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by EternityEnd View Post
    Read The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro. Genuinely enjoyed it, thought it had a charming cast and affecting story. Fantasy books from the perspectives of the elderly are rare enough, but I haven't read any novel quite like this one, dealing with memory loss and the obligation of people and cultures to remember uncomfortable truths.
    i greatly dug it as well, Ishiguro is one of my favorite living authors. The Buried Giant is his only fantasy novel but if you want to genre hop his other work is p terrific as well, Never Let Me Go and The Remains of the Day in particular.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    i greatly dug it as well, Ishiguro is one of my favorite living authors. The Buried Giant is his only fantasy novel but if you want to genre hop his other work is p terrific as well, Never Let Me Go and The Remains of the Day in particular.
    I've seen the movie of Never Let Me Go prior to learning about Ishiguro, and loved it. Definitely considering reading more of his work soon.

Ridill
    BG Level

In warhammer 40k news, Ravenor and Ravenor Returned have reprints finally. Hopefully that means Abnett will be starting on the third.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    In warhammer 40k news, Ravenor and Ravenor Returned have reprints finally. Hopefully that means Abnett will be starting on the third.
    ravenor: rogue has been out since 2007.

Pariah is the first book in the next series, the Bequin Trilogy. came out in 2014, been waiting on next book since then. really good as well.

Ridill
    BG Level

oh yeah, duh. Still, either way, the reprints are new. I spent $40 to get the Ravenor omnibus last year. I didn't start Bequin trilogy because it didn't look like it was going to be finished any time soon.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Finished Rise and Fall of DODO and Snow Crash by Neil Stephenson.

He has a real problem properly ending books and creating tension. DODO ended on a mediocre note and Snow Crash was flat out boring. He's on my DNR list now. I am probably gonna reread something good to get that bad taste out of my brain.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Finished Rise and Fall of DODO and Snow Crash by Neil Stephenson.

He has a real problem properly ending books and creating tension. DODO ended on a mediocre note and Snow Crash was flat out boring. He's on my DNR list now. I am probably gonna reread something good to get that bad taste out of my brain.
    That's how I felt with "Anathem". It started out slow but picked up pace real quickly (especially as I figured out what all his new meanings and syntax were). And the end came. And it went. I felt sorta the same with "Seveneves" but I thought that ended a bit better in terms of resolution and tying things together. Seveneves as a whole was a great read - I didn't get bored and I wanted to read more. That's what I loved about his books - I wanted to keep reading. The ending just ended, oh no. The ride was great though.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

I was getting excited for next month... then found out that Iron Gold, the new book in the Red Rising world, got delayed until January. Time to do my Stormlight reread in the meantime.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    That's how I felt with "Anathem". It started out slow but picked up pace real quickly (especially as I figured out what all his new meanings and syntax were). And the end came. And it went. I felt sorta the same with "Seveneves" but I thought that ended a bit better in terms of resolution and tying things together. Seveneves as a whole was a great read - I didn't get bored and I wanted to read more. That's what I loved about his books - I wanted to keep reading. The ending just ended, oh no. The ride was great though.
    The ride was OK until the last 30-50 pages. I was really annoyed that homie never learned how to finish a book.

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    I was getting excited for next month... then found out that Iron Gold, the new book in the Red Rising world, got delayed until January. Time to do my Stormlight reread in the meantime.
    Good call, I didn't even know it had been delayed.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Good call, I didn't even know it had been delayed.
    Oathbringer still on for Nov?

I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Oathbringer still on target. Progress bar says 1st proofread is just about done.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    Oathbringer still on target. Progress bar says 1st proofread is just about done.
    I just talked a friend into starting stormlight after Mistborn. I told him the word count was double or triple compared to era 1 and era 2 combined was less than either stormlight. He said he was reading last night and thought he was almost done. Check progressed... 20%

I'm going to read WoR for the first time when he gets there. I've listened twice and nerded out on the rest of the Cosmere.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    I just talked a friend into starting stormlight after Mistborn. I told him the word count was double or triple compared to era 1 and era 2 combined was less than either stormlight. He said he was reading last night and thought he was almost done. Check progressed... 20%
    Stormlight is a fucking marathon

BG Level

I still can't believe I finished Words of Radiance in 4 days. Fastest 1100 pages ever.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag