Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Anyone else finish Oathbringer yet? Been done for awhile.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Give me 2 or 3 days. Deep into Part 4 right now.

Ridill
    BG Level

I'm halfway through my reread of Words Of Radiance. I forgot a lot of stuff about the first two books. Like a shocking, surprising amount.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Finished it within ~10 days of release, most of which was done on a ~9 hour trek back and forth to Antigua for Thanksgiving. Thought it was great overall and:

Spoiler: show
    I called the key twist (humanity being the Voidbringers) about 1/4th through from one of the flavor text snippets at the start of each chapter; forget which, will have to scan back through. Queen Jasnah going to lay some fools out in book 4. Dalinar creating the "singularity" / combining of the three planes of existence to charge everyone up was a solid DBZ moment. Many lazers charged / whoops shooped.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

finished Devastation of Baal, detailing Hive Fleet Leviathan dick punching the Blood Angels home system. went into the book kind of giving it the hairy eyeball, some of the new fluff lately for 40k has been beyond ludicrous and the way this particular conflict was presented previously was about the worst of the worst. the book did a good job of mitigating the dumbest parts of that. some of it was actually pretty good. overall i give it a solid B, possibly a B+ for the scenes especially with Gabriel Seth and Mephiston. a lot of the POV stuff from Dante was kind of shit, especially towards the end.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

So here's my hot take on Oathbringer. Overall a good read. Has flaws that I consider Words of Radiance to be a better book.

First and foremost, Moash is the new Olly. FUCK MOASH. I wonder if /r/fuckmoash is going to gain any traction. I doubt it will since this isn't TV.
    Anyone who hasn't read Warbreaker is going to be a bit lost. Surprised about Azure. That said, Szeth's story with Nightblood was one the more enjoyable parts.
    Fortune teller in Shadesmar asking Kal what Heightening he is got a good chuckle. As did the callback to that fucking Stick. Stick always wins.
    Part 5 got a bit hectic that I was losing track of where in Thaylen City everyone's part was happening relative to other characters. I blame it on the weight of the amount of characters.

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

Finally read Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay. Don't know why I thought it was part of a series but was surprised when it wrapped up sort of nicely. Decent read.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Finished it that week. I've started on TWoK again. There's so a bunch of good info I had forgotten since it was meaningless at the time. The intro to TWoK makes more sense now. I enjoyed it and it was a nice change of pace coming back from Malazan.

I took a few weeks off to knock out Dark Souls 3 but I'm back on The Deadhouse Gates now.

It's so much different than the comsere that I have to remind myself that not everything has to be understood or explained 100%. Crazy magic Warren shit happens, just roll with it. I do enjoy the deck of cards every once in a while to explain the high level arcs that are going on.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

My analysis of my reading for the year put me at ~42500 pages of reading. 92 Books. About 116 pages a day.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Just finished Oathbringer myself, onto Artemis (Andy Weir's next space book). I'm overwhelmed at the cosmere right now so I'll need to dive into the stormlight wiki and figure out where everything is tying together.

I did read Warbreaker a couple times because I knew it was going to be pivotal especially with the nightblood reveal at the end of WoR. I figured Azure was from that realm (the colors...) and eventually put two and two together that she was Zahel's partner(?)

Overall I greatly enjoyed the book. I'm starting to see more influence from the Wheel of Time in this series.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I refuse to read Artemis because Goodreads called it the best scifi book of the year before it was fucking released.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    I refuse to read Artemis because Goodreads called it the best scifi book of the year before it was fucking released.
    Hah I didn't know about that. It was an x-mas gift so I don't even care.

Ridill
    BG Level

Goodreads reviews are always stupid. "This sequel doesn't even have a release date yet? 5 out of 5! Best book yet!"

Halfway through Oathbringer. Hoping it picks up soon because it's feeling like it's starting to drag.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    You are aware how advance reader copies/galley proofs work, right?

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    You are aware how advance reader copies/galley proofs work, right?
    Yes. Somehow advance copies make it eligible for a book of the year contest that starts before it is actually released and winners are determined based on USER votes.

Fucking stupid.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Well in that case.
    GR shouldn't have put it on the contest, at least for book of the year.
    But since it was, users treated it as a "what are you most hype for" instead of "best of". I'm not really going to fault the users for that.

But all and all, that seems a pretty dumb reason not to read a book. Are you sure you aren't just dredging for any excuse to get your hater on, because that's what gets you warm and fuzzy?

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I usually support every book regardless but the way GR handled it really pissed me off.

I'll read it in 2018, when it's under consideration.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

On the matter of ARCs, I popped over to Scalzi's site, and down the front page he's got a picture of a stack of the things, and right on top is Iron Gold.
    I know it's only a couple weeks away, but still, my reaction is "oh you son of a bitch".

Anyways, I finally got around to reading The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear. Why now? Because I'm a fool or a masochist apparently, but what's done is done.
    Then I read The Collapsing Empire, (which is why I was on Scalzi's site, checking for the next release date). Reading that coming off of Rothfuss was a bit weird, you start the book and then oh it's done, that was quick.

Not really sure what I'll go after next, besides Iron Gold when it drops. Nothing is standing out in the moment.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Yah if Rothfuss doesn't do something with that story soon, I'mma.....do nothing, but darn it, it'll be aggravating!

Also, John Ringo hasn't released anything except Monster Hunter series in a while and nothing from David Weber since the most recent (last?) safehold book. I need both of them to do something I care about dammit.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Ended up with 94 books read, 44673 pages.

Going for 85 next year.

Got about 10 books in my queue but I'll probably cut half of them.

Just read Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. It's basically a combo of Red Rising and Divergent. Not awful but meh. I'm not continuing the series.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag