+ Reply to Thread
Page 150 of 199 FirstFirst ... 100 140 148 149 150 151 152 160 ... LastLast
    BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    I've spent a chunk of the past year working my way through the top of TopWebFiction.

Out of the top 10, the only thing I haven't read is Mooderino/Deeper Darker, but out of everything else, the only one I didn't like was Metaworld Chronicles.

Mother of Learning, Worm/Ward & Pact, Practical Guide to Evil, The Gods are Bastards, and The Wandering Inn, and Worth the Candle are all absolutely fantastic.
    Most, if not all, deserve to be actually published in dead tree format.
    I find the real test of a webnovels is whether I go back to read chapters after I run out of backlog chapters. Metaworld did not make the cut, but I did give it a second chance once so it wasn't a full abandonment. I will never go back to it at this point, though. Plot armor is thicc and too much time spent on exposition.

Savage Divinity, Lord of the Mysteries, Ze Tian Ji, and World of Cultivation are my recommendations for you.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I'm not too keen on translated Chinese-original works. Everything I've seen of them leans too hard on power fantasy for Kevin Chang types, NOT my bag.
    Plus, in looking up Lord of the Mysteries I saw the thing with state censorship, and if the CCP is influencing output in works as well, I want nothing to do with the content.
    Safer to read Ayn Rand. (You shouldn't read Ayn Rand.)

Savage Divinity is in my to start queue. atm I'm catching up on Azarinth Healer, not committed to anything next.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

There is a spectrum in the Chinese web novels. At some point the main character is going to start a centrally planned society founded on unabashed intellectual property theft where everyone rides bikes and everyone is going to praise them for it. Other than that, things vary.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Caught up with Azarinth Healer. I'd say it's better than Defiance of the Fall.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Just finished The Silmarillion. I've always wanted to read it and I've had the paperback for years. After a reread of The Hobbit and LotR I finally dusted it off. Anyway, quite enjoyable really though at times some of the names are hard to follow and remember since the span of stories casts a pretty wide net. I think I've now read all of Tolkien's works and I'd say this one takes a nice solid 3rd after The Hobbit and LotR. I;ve got a few misc books about biographies on Tolkien and the like I'm debating on reading. Not really a bio guy.

Ridill
    BG Level

Gonna say it. Gotta say it.
    Expanse book 6, Babylon's Ashes was a boring book and the worst of the series so far. Not just boring, it feels like nothing happened. Main antagonist was brutally incompetent. The climax was terrible.
    Spoiler: show
    And... so this whole thing started because belters couldn't move to planets with like 1G. Cant survive. But during space fights and especially at the end when the belter ships are all burning massive Gs for long periods, gravity isn't an issue. In fact the only G related harm that's actually done in the book is to an earther. I don't even understand why he was killed off that way. It didn't seem to impact anything.

rant done.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Dresden Files Book #17, Battle Ground. September 29 2020.

Also the trailer for Peace Talks

Ridill
    BG Level

Well, definitely can say I wasnt expecting that.
    So originally he stated he wanted 20 books followed by a big, series ending trilogy. 8 more books. Wonder how much head way he made into the future books while he was caught up with all that other stuff that was going on with his life.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Working through Savage Divinity, halfway there. It's worthwhile.

But I did need to change it up a bit, so read and caught up with Delve. Pretty good added it to my bookmarks, if you don't like the math parts, just do like Tolkien song/poetry sections and skip 'em.
    And since that didn't take too long, I read Epilogue. Basically a more focused The Magicians with the Harry Potter side cut out.

Also, I'm miffed. I do not check r/litrpg or r/progressonfantasy frequently, and I missed getting Awaken Online and Ascend Online for free.
    I did get the first 3 books of Cradle free though, finished the first one, liked it, paused on the second since I've seen the arc before, and it can wait for now.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I'm on book 13 of The Gods are Bastards and am still enjoying it.

It has really made me spend some time thinking about the mechanics of character development, because the characters start as basically 1D projections of archetypes and then get developed as time goes on. There's a part of me that thinks they were maybe unnecessarily low dimensional at first, but there's another part that thinks this is just a character development strategy I hadn't recognized before. AKA start with a set of recognizable stereotypes and develop them into characters vs. keep info about the characters vague and develop them from nothing. I wonder how it will read in another decade when the stereotypes being used are less culturally salient.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

It's such a fantastic read, I consider it on par with Jim Butcher/Dresden. And the setting is nice too, since it tickles my fondness for the Eberron D&D setting.

And lets see, book 13. That's... oh man, definitely keep going.
    And you're lucky, there was a several month hiatus between Book 14 and 15 that you don't need to wait through. It was full of side stories that are in the bonus chapter list, but still, that was months the main plot was on hold.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Still working through Savage Divinity, no intention of dropping it yet, so that's the recommendation.

Did need a break though. Had a look at Unbound and Seaborn, thought both were good, added them to my bookmarks folder, not many chapters yet for either.

Also read through Dao of Magic, it's a hilarious shitpost xianxia for people who hate xianxia, with an interesting setup to boot.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Hey everyone, looking for a new book series to read. Something fictional inspired by ancient Greece or ancient Egypt would be ideal, would like something written in like the last 20 years that isn't targeted at teen girls.

Ridill
    BG Level

N.K. Jemisin's Dreamblood duology is loosely inspired by ancient Egypt. She's also just a massively fantastic author and all her books are great.

Ridill
    BG Level

Humble bundle warhammer 40k
    A lot of good starter books, and plenty others I havent read yet.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...rhammer-40000/

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

Gates of Fire by Pressfield, it's straight up Greek Historical Fiction rather than inspired by, but a very good read nonetheless. Also the Troy trilogy by Gemmell is highly regarded, they're on my pile of books to read currently.

There's also Paul Kearney's Macht trilogy which is based very heavily on Ancient Greece. I'd also second Jemisin's Duology.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Do you want some Drizzt?
    Here's some Drizzt.
    https://www.humblebundle.com/books/d...ds-coast-books

Over the last six months I completed everything in the Cosmere setting by Brandon Sanderson. Really awesome magic systems with interesting limitations, and great characters. My favorite book in the whole line is Oathbringer, which is the third book in the Starlight Archives. It is by far my favorite book of all time now. I was in an incredibly dark place and that book helped me give the hope and drive to pick myself up.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Have fun come November for Stormlight Book 4.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag