+ Reply to Thread
Page 147 of 199 FirstFirst ... 97 137 145 146 147 148 149 157 197 ... LastLast

I just got the other two books on audible. Does the third book than have a finality to it and he decided to go back for sequels all of the sudden? I looked up the author and it looks like he's coming to Denver to sign fifth book or something

Ridill
    BG Level

It's a finished trilogy. I dont think he originally planned on more, at least it doesnt come across that way.

Ridill
    BG Level

Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham is $3 on kindle atm.

And I saw that Children of Time sequel came out- Children of Ruin. Anyone read that yet? First was fantastic.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

warhammer fans: Spear of the Emporer by Aaron Dembski-Bowden is finally out in paperback and e-book formats, and hoooly shit is it good. it's been a long wait to get ahold of this one (fuck their 'special edition hardback' bullshit, seriously) but it's worth the wait.

Ridill
    BG Level

I've fallen behind on my 40k. I typically picked up omnibuses from Barnes and Noble and I've never really gotten into the Heresy series after the first few books and that's what makes up the majority of their stuff now. That, and- as you mentioned- those shorter hard cover stories that are like $18-24. The omnibuses that have been coming out for awhile now all just don't seem to interest me much- though i suppose once I have more money freed up after the wedding I'll be more willing to risk money on others.

Looked up Spear of the Emperor on amazon and lol, kindle version is 16.99 and paperback is an even 16 (on sale for 12)- all their kindle books are ridiculously priced. Does Black Library know how e-book pricing is supposed to work? I mean, I technically don't, other than no physical product is supposed to make things cheaper, not more expensive.

BG Level

sure they know how it works. you charge the same as the physical product, and make mad bank!!

but yeah that's kind of the problem w/ the IP: there is a lot, and i mean a LOT, of chaff to cut through to find something that interests you.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/0...el-coming-2020

Hunger Games prequel announced, coming May 19, 2020.

A decade after seemingly wrapping up "The Hunger Games," Suzanne Collins is bringing readers back to Panem. A prequel, set 64 years before the beginning of her multimillion-selling trilogy, is coming next year.

Collins said in a statement Monday that she would go back to the years following the so-called "Dark Days," the failed rebellion in Panem. Collins set the "Hunger Games" books in a post-apocalyptic dystopia where young people must fight and kill each other, on live television.

"With this book, I wanted to explore the state of nature, who we are, and what we perceive is required for our survival," she said. "The reconstruction period 10 years after the war, commonly referred to as the Dark Days — as the country of Panem struggles back to its feet — provides fertile ground for characters to grapple with these questions and thereby define their views of humanity."
    And Lionsgate is in active discussions to develop the prequel into a film.

Ridill
    BG Level

Was reading Dragon's Path on my kindle and really enjoying it, but was barely putting a dent in the % of it. And then at 44% I reached the end of the book. What the hell's the last 56%? I skipped ahead some pages and it looks like its Leviathan Wakes lol at least a good chunk of it and who knows what else.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Finished Thrawn: Treason. It's a lot better than Alliances. But shallow at points because Thrawn always wins of course.

About 1/3rd into Red Rising 5: Dark Age. Iron Gold was pretty much a prologue to Dark Age. It's reminding me more of Golden Son and Morning Star and that's a good thing.

Ridill
    BG Level

I was barely... barely able to finish Iron Gold, so I've been super weary of picking up Dark Age, especially since I currently have Expanse series, the Witcher series, and Coin and Dagger series all started. I also have Thrawn Alliences but havent read it yet because I'd heard many 'meh' reviews about it, which was a shame because I liked the first book.

In Warhanmer 40k news, reading Knights of Caliban omnibus. I think this is my first Gav Thorpe novel and so far I'm not liking his writing. On the first page, he used the words "wreathing" twice in back to back sentances, which is an oddly specific word to use so close to each other, and second, he's opened the first story with an action scene in which you know no characters, know nothing of the place, and zero characterization is going on during this fight scene. In other words, boring as shit. Giving it some more reading time though.

I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

I think this entire board was so 'meh' about Iron Gold, me included. It's unfortunate Iron Gold was just a set up novel to set the stage for Darrow vs Atalantia au Grimmus on Mercury after Ash Lord shenanigans on Venus. Dark Age Part 1 (150 pages) is straight up war. Lots of death. It isn't without its flaws but it's a hell of a lot more enjoyable than the prior book.

Edit: Ok a bit farther in. Despite the increase in action, this book is just a bunch of oneupsmanship. High potential to roll eyes at the plot. But then again, it's about as crazy as Golden Son/Morning Star.

I was tempted to pick up Iron Gold. I'm currently on my 3rd attempt at Blade Itself. I've been having really hard time staying engaged with that book.

BG Level

gav thorpe is one of my least favorite BL authors. he wrote deliverance lost, which is shit, to be frank.

i don't like to shit on people's work, but it's bad by any objective standard.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by mallister View Post
    gav thorpe is one of my least favorite BL authors. he wrote deliverance lost, which is shit, to be frank.

i don't like to shit on people's work, but it's bad by any objective standard.
    Yeah, I'm 70 pages in, and it seems like garbage at the moment. I'll keep reading it tomorrow on my work breaks but if I haven't found anything redeemable about it by then, I'll probably have to ditch the book. Too many other things I want to read.

Ridill
    BG Level

I got through the 1st 2 books of that dark angel omnibus. I got through the first book by skipping most of the action which was mostly boring and redundant. He did some cool things with the story you dont normally see in 40k books, I just wished he was a better writer. 2nd book was worse. Only reason the plot happened was because people did really stupid things for no reason and it seemed to mostly just be setup for the 3rd book. I'll get to it eventually, just not yet.

Finally found a cheap Witcher Baptism by Fire, so I'm reading that now and already have the following book. I should have the series done before my baby's born in march and then I might have time to start playing Witcher 3 on my 1-2 months of work leave, given the cooperation of newborn baby lol

Also finished Expanse; Abaddon's Gate. Which book is the tv series up to? Presuming it follows it.

BG Level

Current. Next book is going to be the new season.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Working through book 14 WoT. I'm ready for this to be over with. I'm ready to go back to Malazan. I was talking to a friend that just finished Chain of Dogs. He's got me excited about going back. I stopped around book 5 to study for some tech exams.

Ridill
    BG Level

I definitely prefer Malazan to WoT. I also prefer The Black Company over both of those, I think. I'd have to reread Malazan, but given how many other books I need to read and how much of a commitment getting through Malazan would be, that's likely not going to happen for a long, long while.

Finished Three Body Problem which was nothing what I was expecting it to be, but it was enjoyable, except for the end which was really maybe stretching things a little too much a little too fast, but I look forward to reading the next two books.

BG's Official Canucks Fan
    BG Level

I've been really enjoying the malazan series. I'm on book 7 now (Toll the hounds) and I literally can't stop. I'm not sure if I'll jump into the other Malazan series but some of the books like return of the crimson guard kinda interest me.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I just finished malazan and i'm clueless of what I want to read next. It's gonna be hard to top this. As incoherent as it is, as it is basically transcribed roleplaying sessions, it was some time ago I read something so vivid.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag