+ Reply to Thread
Page 148 of 199 FirstFirst ... 98 138 146 147 148 149 150 158 198 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lurking Badger View Post
    I just finished malazan and i'm clueless of what I want to read next. It's gonna be hard to top this. As incoherent as it is, as it is basically transcribed roleplaying sessions, it was some time ago I read something so vivid.
    As I mentioned above, Glen Cook's Chronicles of the Black Company has a bit of a similar feel, though not as complex. Not that anything could come close to Malazan in that regard.

Ridill
    BG Level

For those with a Kindle and those who dnt just pirate, Amazon's selling the expanse series for 3.99 each. I'm on Cibola Burn right now but I might just pick up the entire rest of the series if it saves me $7 a book.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Stormlight 4 - November 17, 2020. itshappening.jpg

https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/s...200285184?s=19

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

All aboard. Can't believe it's been a decade since WoK. What a decade it's been.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I can't wait to read this series but no fucking way am I hopping on board until we're 1 book out from the end. Not playing that wait game again (even though Sanderson is amazing)

I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Umm, you're going to be waiting a LONG long time that Winds of Winter may be out. Now Book 4 is technically one book away from the first half ending. Book 6-10 probably wont be until 2027 to start. And that's being conservative. The end of the series may not be til 2040/45. And I'm confident Book 5 will have implications on the rest of the Cosmere so you better just jump in now.

Ridill
    BG Level

I'm waiting for the next Dresden book like a sucker. Things were coming out once a year when I started now its been 5 years since the last book.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    I'm waiting for the next Dresden book like a sucker. Things were coming out once a year when I started now its been 5 years since the last book.
    My guess is mid/late next year. Peace Talks first draft was finished in July. Cinder Spires Book 2 is also on Butcher's docket. But I'll give him a break after going through a rough divorce.

Finished Starsight. All I could think about the entire time since the end of Skyward was my endless hours of playing Stellaris.

Ridill
    BG Level

Haven't read Skyward or Legion for that matter. I liked the Steelheart series, so I don't doubt I'd like it just because it's YA, I just have hangups about buying such short books for the asking price.

I'll keep the ball rolling, I guess. Finished Dagger and Coin series. Enjoyed it, I just thought the last two books kind of did a whole lot of meandering and a lot of stuff happened off screen and way too fast. Could have used another book or two. Hell, I'd probably have read three more to get to the same point at the end it he fleshed a lot more stuff out and expanded a bit.

Bought Expanse books 4-8 on sale a few weeks back so I'll be jumping into that soon, but stopped to read Chakraborty's City of Brass. Didn't really know what to expect, but I'd seen it in books stores a few times and nabbed it for $3 on Kindle. Decent so far. Haven't read much middle eastern mythology themed fantasy.

And I suppose I'll pick up The Burning White to finish off the Lightbringer series sometime between all that Expanse.

And I can't wait for N.K. Jemisin's new series. Only a couple more months for that. Looking forward to seeing her take on New York.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    Umm, you're going to be waiting a LONG long time that Winds of Winter may be out. Now Book 4 is technically one book away from the first half ending. Book 6-10 probably wont be until 2027 to start. And that's being conservative. The end of the series may not be til 2040/45. And I'm confident Book 5 will have implications on the rest of the Cosmere so you better just jump in now.
    Yes, this is why I'm just going to wait. I'll keep reading other things and then someday I'll be like "Woah! Only 1 more book left in stormlight" and I'll go buy everything and start reading then.

Quote Originally Posted by Rulke View Post
    Yes, this is why I'm just going to wait. I'll keep reading other things and then someday I'll be like "Woah! Only 1 more book left in stormlight" and I'll go buy everything and start reading then.
    But... if you do this... you don't get to re-read the books when the next book comes out. I find it delightful.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Valid point. A decade ago I could have been persuaded but life as such these days doesn't allow for such at present.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    My guess is mid/late next year. Peace Talks first draft was finished in July. Cinder Spires Book 2 is also on Butcher's docket. But I'll give him a break after going through a rough divorce.
    July 14, 2020 for the 20th anniversary of The Dresden Files.
    https://www.tor.com/2019/12/16/jim-b...dresden-files/

Ridill
    BG Level

Terrific. I'll start rereading the series in April.

BG Level

This year's State of the Sanderson: https://www.brandonsanderson.com/sta...anderson-2019/

Important bits:
    + Next Leatherback BOOKS will be Way of Kings in 2 volumes. Initial purchases will be through Kickstarter. Books will still be able to be purchased after the initial run. Following Stormlight novels will also use Kickstarter and released on each respective 10th anniversary.
    + Following leatherback will probably be a compilation of Alloy of Law + Shadows of Self
    + Sanderson realizes that at this rate it will take him another 30 years to finish the Cosmere novels.

Part Eight: Projected Schedule of Releases

The Original audio novella: 2020
    Stormlight Four: Fall 2020
    Skyward Three: Summer(?) 2021
    Wax and Wayne Four: Fall(?) 2021
    Alcatraz 6: 2021–2022
    Dark One Graphic Novel: 2021–2022
    Skyward Four (final book): 2022
    Stormlight Five: Fall 2023

Ridill
    BG Level

Sanderson tweeted earlier today that he just finished the rough draft of storm light four. 424k word count atm, and "11 months or so until we get to read it."

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

love the heavy hitters in Martin, Tolkien, CS, JK, White, Rothfuss, Sapkowski etc but somehow have never given Sanderson a read. you nerds got any recs on where to start? am currently slogging through War and Peace so maybe not anything toooo epic and multivolume for the nonce.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

postscript in the first 50 pages of War and Peace Russian cavalry officers get absolutely shithammered and try to bring a bear to the opera. when the police attempt to stop them they tie the bear to the constable and throw them in Moscow's river. the classics are so misunderstand. Shakespeare makes your mom and anal sex jokes and Tolstoy opens with drunken bear shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    love the heavy hitters in Martin, Tolkien, CS, JK, White, Rothfuss, Sapkowski etc but somehow have never given Sanderson a read. you nerds got any recs on where to start? am currently slogging through War and Peace so maybe not anything toooo epic and multivolume for the nonce.
    Light and easy: The Reckoners (SteelHeart) series

Midrange but fulfilling: Go with Mistborn series.

Heavy read, very detailed, epic: Way of Kings (Stormlight Archives)

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

^Obligatory: Original Mistborn series, not the follow up one.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag