+ Reply to Thread
Page 168 of 199 FirstFirst ... 118 158 166 167 168 169 170 178 ... LastLast
    Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Most sensible authors and industry insiders already know that it would take at least 5 years to set up the infrastructure to publish independently and unfortunately be limited to the US audience. In short, Sanderson and Dragonsteel Entertainment put in the work to actually make Kickstarter work.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I wasn't being serious lol

Ridill
    BG Level

Has the Warhammer 40k book bubble popped? Just went to a Barnes and Noble and what’s typically half a book shelf is now literally 2 books. I know I stopped buying them when they dropped their cheaply priced omnibuses in favor of the incredibly expensive short single-story books. I know the omnibus thing wasn’t sustainable since eventually they’d run out of singles to bundle, but making the single story books double the price of them was ridiculous. And having so many of them be hardcover only, which just increased the price further.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Finished Toll the Hounds. Was a slow start as usual but goddamn

Spoilers
    Spoiler: show
    I knew going in Rake was going to die, but damn what a guy. I was ready to hate Dassem for killing him but he kind of orchestrated his own death to Dragnipur and then the subsequent sacrifice. I still don't fully understand what happened between him and Mother Dark back in the day, but I guess the prequel books are about that??

Still don't really know why chaos is chasing Mother Dark? They forgot to do anything with Humble measure. And I'm guessing those jade giants are what broke up the moon? Still don't know much about them. Hopefully this is all RAFO stuff and not loose ends

Also I know they were fighting some top tier dudes but Hounds of Light are pussies. TEN of them got rekt. Also I'm guessing we aren't supposed to know who sent them?

I'm going to power on to Dust of Dreams and the Crippled God next. After that i will slowly get back to the Esselmont books but probably not right away.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Did the madman write more??

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

It's a Mistborn quote so either Secret History 2 or Mistborn TV/Movie adaptations seem likely

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

You know how I said Anomander was my fav? Yeah, well after finishing Toll the Hounds i had to get this

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Any recommendations on fiction book set in 80/90s around tech?

For some reason a really enjoy books/tv/shows set in the space. I'm not sure what it's called but it would basically what we would have thought the future of tech was in the 80/90s.

Like Severance, Maniac, not the same but halt and catch fire.

Actually I'll take any recommendation right now. Ive picked up a few I just can't get into.

Edit: Starting expanse. Fiend of mine keeps trying to get me to watch the shows but it couldn't keep my attention.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Welp, I've been out of this tread w/o anything to offer up since covid started. That's when I stopped any regular reading. But no more! I'm back at it. I just finished the first book of The Licanius Trilogy: The Shadow of What was Lost. (by James Islington). I can't even remember when I bought this, but its was actually very good. For a first time writer and self publisher there was a great amount of world and character building. The dialogue is solid and the 4 main PoV characters are distinctly different and fun. It's a completed trilogy (a requirement for me these days). Each book is $9.99, so middle of the road I guess price wise. I'd recommend it.

Ridill
    BG Level

It was definitely a solid trilogy.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I'm definitely looking for some smaller endeavors once I finish Malazan (halfway through book 9) so I'll add that to my list

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Finished Dust of Dreams. Goddamn, I am glad I didn't read these as they were coming out and can jump right into The Crippled God.

Spoiler: show
    The Hetan stuff was brutal to read. Awful how her and Cafal went in the end, I liked them from Memories of Ice.

Ridill
    BG Level

Time to bug you all again;
    Anyone want to read a little something for me? I'm working on a new story and I'm looking for a Proof of Concept, basically. See if the story actually works.

I have written the first 6 chapters (20k) words of a story I'm working on. The structure isn't the typical norm, certainly not for me, and I'd like outside eyes on it to see if the story structure works as is or if it needs to be completely rethought out and rebuilt. Pacing, tension, and just if its too confusing or too hard to follow. It's nothing crazy, just two separate plotlines/characters that appear to be completely separate at first, but begin to link together as the story goes on.

It's Fantasy genre, soft magic system, and doesn't take itself too seriously most of the time, though I do hope when I want the emotions to be strong, they're there. It's had an editing pass or two, but not thoroughly, and I do know the occasional description and exposition needs some work.

I'm also thinking about making this story a weekly/chapter release, so I'd be interested in your thoughts on if that would work the way the story is set up. If you're interested, I can PM you a link.

A very low effort synopsis is; The first plotline follows a man falling in love with one of the world's most powerful magic users and their life after they meet, while the second follows a man who has the mysterious power to summon extradimensional creatures (for a price) and gets himself into trouble obtaining a magical artifact and gets pulled in way over his head.

Ridill
    BG Level

And a non-self-promo post; Adrian Tchaikovsky's book Eyes of the Void, a sequel to Shards of Earth comes out tomorrow. All yall should read that and Children of Time/Children of Ruin. Amazing Sci-Fi that goes into a lot of the more 'hypothetical and fantastical' elements of the genre.

BG Level

Hit me man. I'd love to read it.

Finished And There Were None last weekend. Since there are multiple movies and series on this one, I decided to ignore those and start with the book, and I was not at all disappointed with the absence of Poirot. It's an extremely interesting psychological thriller, full of mysteries, and even beyond explanation. With every page, my curiosity leveled up. And I realized once again that Agatha really had that level of criminal thinking and connectivity plot that mayyyy lack in today's writers. Yup! Wrote may cuz I haven't yet read any mystery crime books by today's writers.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

With Volume 8 finished. Volume 9 starts next month.

Ridill
    BG Level

Wandering Inn is some never-ending online serial d&d type thing, isn’t it?
    And discworld is that low? I know each book isn’t that big, but at 41 books? I feel like it would easily beat out WoT. (I don’t know the other two.)

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Remember, WoT is notorious for padding.

Wandering is an online serial, but it's not neverending. Barring any accidental extra books (like Practical Guide to Evil, which just finished), it's about 1/3 to 1/2 done now.

I didn't expect to see Riftwar Cycle right above WoT. Magician was my first real intro to fantasy novels, so that series is among my favorites for nostalgia alone. But I didn't know how long the series really was until I decided to look up and read every book just a few years ago. I had stopped at the third or fourth trilogy a while back.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag