+ Reply to Thread
Page 133 of 199 FirstFirst ... 83 123 131 132 133 134 135 143 183 ... LastLast

I've picked up Way of Kings and it was a slow read at first but once it picked up I really got into it. Half way through the second book now

Ridill
    BG Level

Read Stephen King's Misery and Lord of the Flies for the first time. Didn't care for Lord of the Flies much. 80% through Thrawn and looking forward to finishing that. After that I think I'll go back into fantasy.

I can go with either The Blade Itself, City of Stairs, Warded Man, or Lies of Locke Lamora. I'm aware Bastard Gentlemw series is supposed to be amazing, and I already own the 3 books for some time now, I've just been putting them off because I figured the next book would be coming out soon and if rather read as many books together as I can, but I'm starting to think the 4th one is never coming out.

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

Might as well read Gentlemen Bastard. There's supposed to be 7 books eventually but looking unlikely we ever see #4. Lies of Locke Lamora is amazing, follow up books were only decent imo.

BG Level

with altered carbon on netflix out, i decided to try the books. they are really, solidly good, i like them enough it's hard to give them an objective rating but at least a solid 8/10 if not 9/10. i can't see anyone not liking these unless they just don't like the genre, or aren't a fan of hard core violence, intrigue, and sex. who's not into that?

Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, Woken Furies are the three books, by Richard K. Morgan. check that shit out.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Just finished the second book of "The Traitor Son Cycle" by Miles Cameron (5 books in total, all published currently); pretty great medieval-esque military fantasy. Actually found the second book to be better than the first which is a rarity. The author is a big reenactment buff which adds some nice realism/depth to his portrayal of plate armor, aventails, archery, etc. as well as general tactics. Not necessarily in my top 10 series overall, but a far shot better than some of the crap I've read recently. Protagonist is well-designed with something of a Locke Lamora flair; just glad to not be reading another "orphan child goes to magic academy and deus ex machina's 'the Darkness' while saving the prim damsel."

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Fuck, long post and lost it.

TLDR:
    Torn Achilles Tendon surgically repaired. Binged Anime Dragon Ball Super, Attack on Titan, books Gentlemen Bastards already( book3 was shit.)

Looking on my book case and Kindle I have Malazans(2/3 done with book2,have the rest also), Sandersons Reckoners, Ready Player One, and Farseer Book 1.

Thoughts? I'll finish Gardens of the Moon before anything.

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

RPO is garbage. Reckoners is for YA, basic writing and disappointing if you've read anything else from him. Farseer Trilogy and Malazan are worth reading. Go with those.

Wulfgang, agree on Traitor Son. I haven't read the 5th book yet, but enjoyable reads overall.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    Looking on my book case and Kindle I have Malazans(2/3 done with book2,have the rest also)...Thoughts? I'll finish Gardens of the Moon before anything.
    Just in case you're underwhelmed with Gardens of the Moon, it is the worst book in the entire Malazan series to me. Deadhouse Gates (#2) is so fucking good. All-in, Malazan definitely has some slow spots and places where you are confused as hell, but so many great characters I will always remember. Whiskeyjack, Fiddler, Tehol, Bugg, Karsa, Kruppe, Anomander, etc.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    Just in case you're underwhelmed with Gardens of the Moon, it is the worst book in the entire Malazan series to me. Deadhouse Gates (#2) is so fucking good. All-in, Malazan definitely has some slow spots and places where you are confused as hell, but so many great characters I will always remember. Whiskeyjack, Fiddler, Tehol, Bugg, Karsa, Kruppe, Anomander, etc.
    No not at all. I loved the first book but stopped 2/3rds was through the second book to read Oathbringer. I was side tracked after that reading Gentlemen Bastards and some others. I'm now just coming back to Malazan and plan on going through book 3 before taking a break for Iron Gold.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    I refuse to read Artemis because Goodreads called it the best scifi book of the year before it was fucking released.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    Hah I didn't know about that. It was an x-mas gift so I don't even care.
    I forgot to update but I finished Artemis over the holiday. It was not the best scifi book of the year. It was fun in an Ocean's 11 on the Moon sort of way. Andy Weir seems to stick to a very similar character persona from Watney but with a gender swap. I'd recommend it but it's definitely not a blockbuster in my opinion. He needs to learn to stop overusing the "This is a complicated thing. That's because *insert science* " every paragraph.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    I forgot to update but I finished Artemis over the holiday. It was not the best scifi book of the year. It was fun in an Ocean's 11 on the Moon sort of way. Andy Weir seems to stick to a very similar character persona from Watney but with a gender swap. I'd recommend it but it's definitely not a blockbuster in my opinion. He needs to learn to stop overusing the "This is a complicated thing. That's because *insert science* " every paragraph.
    It wasn't very good. Mary Sue + The moon.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Also, it was 15 bucks and I finished it in about 6 hours.

Ridill
    BG Level

I apparently overhyped myself on Lies of Locke Lamora. It was definitely good but I was expecting more.

I'm about 300 pages into the 2nd book and I'm luke warm on it thus far. Most of it seems to hit the same one too many beats as the first. Might just be a genre issue for me though.

Not just you. I liked the 1st book, i had to push myself to finish the second, didn't bother after that.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I'm back on Malazan. Second book finished great and I'm into the third book. While I enjoy the book I have to fight back the temptation of trying to get every piece of the puzzle to fit together neatly. I wonder if I'm just not intelligent enough to truly enjoy all the details.

But when none of the characters(even God's) truly understand what's going on I assume it's written this way. Maybe in a few more books I'll go geek out on some dedicated forums or wikis.

I definitely read these a lot slower than anything else. There's no relaxing and going into autopilot.

Ridill
    BG Level

Yeah, don't try fitting everything together lol

I think I'm giving up on Red Seas Under Red Skies. It's just growing tedious for me and I've got far too many other books I want to read for how much more of this I'd have to force myself to read.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    Yeah, don't try fitting everything together lol

I think I'm giving up on Red Seas Under Red Skies. It's just growing tedious for me and I've got far too many other books I want to read for how much more of this I'd have to force myself to read.
    Actually it looks like Memories of Ice is doing some explaining. Some of the chars are putting the pieces together.

While I didn't enjoy the Chain of Dogs at first, recalling back on the second book that part definitely stuck with me the most.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Just finished Memories of Ice and damn, I thought chain of dogs was tough. I wasn't attached to those characters.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    Just finished Memories of Ice and damn, I thought chain of dogs was tough. I wasn't attached to those characters.
    Bummer, I loved that part of the series; so visceral.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    Bummer, I loved that part of the series; so visceral.
    Tough on the feels.

Should I continue on? There's no Rake or Quickben until 3-4 books away

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag