FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    but none of them can poetry or song like JR, none display the raw cerebral + linguistic firepower he did by inventing half a dozen different ways for nerds to say their wedding vows.
    Ah, but remember, there is a very large contingent of LotR readers in the "skip the poetry and songs" camp. And not everyone is a con-langer.

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

No accounting for taste I suppose. I mean c'mon. Tom Bombadil.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

All in all, I generally found the peaks of WoT to make it worth drudging through the various troughs. Towers of Midnight (#12) is so good; by far my favorite.

All truly epic series suffer from tedium at some point; Malazan Book of the Fallen is one of my favorites (similar length to WoT) and it has several arcs that were just a chore to get through (e.g. the Snake / flight of the Chal Managal group of refugees). WoT is at its worst during the angsty "Dark Rand" arc, which unfortunately spans several books in the middle.

And agree with Andalusian on Tolkien; he will always be a legend.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I'm going to start Kingkiller then WoT.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Dispatches from Syria: The Day They Came For Us.

Very enlightening view from the inside of the Syrian civil war, circa 2012, put together by an embedded journalist and reflected on in 2015.

I'm half way thought first WOT and I'm struggling, not what I expected and pretty boring so far...

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

The first book is a LOT of world-building. If you can get through it, things pick up quite a bit for the next few books

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

ref neuromancer: page too late but, guys, i'm not saying it was a work of literary genius. i enjoyed it, i didn't have the issues with the book people here have mentioned (character motivations were pretty clear to me, i didn't have a problem with the jargon, etc). it was a defining book, early in the genre. /shrug

wheel of time vs. kingkiller: man, WoT goes on and on. echoing what folks have said: it's a slog but worth it, middle books are trash but it has a strong finish. first book does start slow, but gets good around the last third or so. the middle books are 4-600 pages of pointless rambling and 150 pages of actual plot progression. the last books are surprisingly good. i started reading these damn things the weekend the third book came out, so it was a long wait. might be a totally different experience to be able to just burn them down one after another.

kingkiller was great right out of the gate and it's only 2 books so far, much easier read.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Brandon Sanderson ‏@BrandSanderson 8 Dec 2016
    That's a wrap, folks. Oathbringer is done at 461,223 words. Still much work to do, but we have a first draft. November 2017 release date.
    Don't know if this was put in here.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

I only mentioned that it will be out before Christmas this year sometime last week. Didn't post the tweet. Though it is so far away and only a novella next month to get my Sanderson fix, besides more Arcanum Unbounded I need to read.

Working on Book 2 of The Expanse. Soooo good that I can't wait for season 2 to air.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

this is probably old news but I was reading this: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/s...-read-in-2017/
    and I had no idea there was going to be another Red Rising book

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

expanse is baller, but lots of people didn't care for books 3 and 4 (or might be 2 and 3). if you find yourself struggling, don't worry. stick it out, the newer books make it worth it. also, once you go through, highly recommend you check out the novellas. they take place before/during the main series, so unless you can find a precise chronology w/no spoilers i'd suggest just reading the main line first before you touch the novellas... but the novellas are VERY good.

new expanse soonish, new Foreigner soonish, new Safehold in my queue, iirc new Honor Harrington book in the pipeline... I am mega-excited. I wonder if there's new vorkosigan in the works. I hope so. what a time for sci fi!

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I just read a chinese sci-fi called the Dark Forest by Cixin Liu. Pretty nice ideas in there, and a very different pace from what I'm used to. Highly recommend.
    Spoiler: show
    Biggest minus though is some political shit like how characters from asian countries are always smarter than western ones, you just have to remember that this author writes from a country with state cencorship.

Ridill
    BG Level

Finished Neuromancer a few days ago. It took me awhile to get through it, but I did. Story got better once they actually brought the AI component in but I still had a hard time keeping interested, perhaps for more personal tastes.

I decided to start the Magicians and I'm halfway through that right now and liking that so far.

BG Level

reading the first Magicians book after catching the series on netflix. pretty good so far.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    The last chapter of arc 2 of Mother of Learning is out.
    Well, fuck.
    Quote that you're never going to see probably but yeaaaah wowwwwowowowow.

I'm rereading Arcs 1 and 2 now (about 1/3 of the way through Arc 2) and this author is a cut above the rest in terms of actually planning shit and foreshadowing events way in the future in ways that aren't particularly suspicious.

Shifter girl shows up in chapter 1, shows up as a cat in like chapter 3, and isn't introduced as a shifter until chapter 32 or something

It looks like it's just worldbuilding, but then he wraps it around

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

No, I check this thread regularly.

It is probably crazy prepared plotting, but keep in mind Andrew Hussie was able to pull the same thing with Homestuck, and in his case it was more an amazing ability to roll with things and improvise yet still have damn near everything tie together.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    Finished Neuromancer a few days ago. It took me awhile to get through it, but I did. Story got better once they actually brought the AI component in but I still had a hard time keeping interested, perhaps for more personal tastes.

I decided to start the Magicians and I'm halfway through that right now and liking that so far.
    did you finish? i'm on the 2nd book now.

Ridill
    BG Level

I'm halfway through the 2nd book now. I'll pick up the third this weekend. I'm liking it. It's absolutely nothing like I was expecting and super weird in how it combines childish fantasy world and the edgier teens with problems thing.

One thing I noticed from the first book to the second is that the author's been making more pop culture reference in the second book. Like he was trying to avoid it at first but realized people like that sort of thing a lot.

Not sure if I'm going to check up on the TV show or not yet.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

I only read a synopsis of the books, but they sounded a lot better than the show.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag