Page 115 of 201 FirstFirst ... 65 105 113 114 115 116 117 125 165 ... LastLast
    Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    To be honest, I started skimming through the bigger paragraphs.

I do have one question for people who've read Lightbringer (Zetanio, you can read this spoiler if you've read far enough to know who Gavin is.):
    Spoiler: show
    So maybe I missed it in the first book, but was there any reason given why Daven pretends to be Gavin? The book goes through exasperated lengths detailing how he did it, but I don't think there was a single reason stating why. If I missed it in book one, then obviously that makes this following statement null and void, but if there isn't a reason then that's kind of bad and I don't know if I can keep reading this series because that means the only reason it happened was because the author needed it to happen for convoluted plot reasons. If it does get explained later and its for some plot twist, then that's also pretty bullshit because you can't just leave a detail out like that when you spend more than half your book explaining EVERYTHING in full detail.
    It does explain it in full. I enjoyed this series, reading all 4 books in less than a week. I was very hesitant to read these as I thought his debut series, the Night Angel Trilogy, was mediocre at best.

Corvan suggests the idea to Dazen when they're drunk in between battles during the Prism War. He means it as a joke, but Dazen takes it seriously. He decides it's the best course of action because he's promised so many things (control of land, ports, merchant contracts, etc) that if he wins as Dazen the world will fall into disarray. In an attempt to keep world stability while still being in power, he steps in as Gavin.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Lightbringer is ok, Weeks is just a weirdo imo. I posted about it after reading the 4th book, but the afterword on vaginissimus was just ridiculous.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Just finished reading The Handmaid's Tale. The more I process the novel, the less I like it. Fucking sucks because I love dystopian novels, but it is so hard to find ones I consider to be excellent reads, and this one was supposed to be an excellent read. I need some Bradbury-level shit.

Any recommendations? (I've read most of the classics: Orwell, The Running Man, The Giver, etc.)

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Are you looking for more dystopian only?

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Revelation Space series by Alastair Reynolds. Might fit the bill.

The Expanse by Daniel Abraham, also might work.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Are you looking for more dystopian only?
    For now, yeah. I just reread 1984 before reading The Handmaid's Tale, so I'm in that kind of mood atm.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

If you haven't read it - Fahrenheit 451
    Ready Player One is dystopian but it's a little more 80's references and video game-y so YMMV.
    Battle Royale
    You could rock some Philip K Dick novels. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, The Man in the High Castle, A Scanner Darkly.
    Brave New World
    A Clockwork Orange
    Logan's Run
    Neuromancer

There's a pretty stark difference between the YA dystopian bullshit (Hunger Games, 5th wave, Divergent) and the rest of the genre.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Only read a clockwork orange if willing to have your brain melt from the language.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Kallocain by Karin Boye

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Finished Mistborn: The Final Empire and I've started on The Well of Ascension. I'm hooked. I'm going to take a break and knock out The Slow Regard of Silent Things and then start back on book#2. I also have some dry CCIE reading to do over the next few months so I don't know how much time I will have for Mistborn. I may wait until I finish book 3 before starting on that.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Finished The Black Prism.

Started the next one but I'm tempted to put it down. It's getting a bit tedious and the magic system is fucking annoying.

Ridill
    BG Level

Finished The Black Prism.

Started the next one but I'm tempted to put it down. It's getting a bit tedious and the magic system is fucking annoying.
    I stopped to read Jemisin's Dreamblood Duology and I'm on the second book of that. It serves as a good example that you can have a weird-ass magic system on top of a very different world and not have to spend an entire half of a book explaining every little detail and still be completely understandable.
    Of course, that's something most best selling fantasy authors know full well.

Man, all my criticism of Weeks make it sound like I despise the side. I think his story seems interesting enough, I'm just super disappointed by how it turned out.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Well of Ascension done. I'm not sure how I feel about everything which is probably a good thing. It was enough to make me feel conflicted about the changes to everything.

Started reading Giver, by Lois Lowry. anybody read that? Recommendations, reviews?

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I read it when it was age-appropriate (middle school) and thought it was decent. Read it again a few years ago and found it pretty boring.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    Well of Ascension done. I'm not sure how I feel about everything which is probably a good thing. It was enough to make me feel conflicted about the changes to everything.
    Mistborn is always great stuff. The first book was truly amazing though. You're in for a fucking treat though when you move to the next set, the Wax & Wayne books are a sort of different thing than the original trilogy, but are just as interesting but somehow have so much more "oomph" to their charm or something. I don't know how to explain it, but Wax & Wayne stuff is just amazing. Mistborn is "better", but I enjoy Wax & Wayne more.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by shukudai View Post
    Mistborn is always great stuff. The first book was truly amazing though. You're in for a fucking treat though when you move to the next set, the Wax & Wayne books are a sort of different thing than the original trilogy, but are just as interesting but somehow have so much more "oomph" to their charm or something. I don't know how to explain it, but Wax & Wayne stuff is just amazing. Mistborn is "better", but I enjoy Wax & Wayne more.
    I can't disagree with this more. Wax and Wayne was garbage.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I can't disagree with this more. Wax and Wayne was garbage.
    +1 on this. I rarely have to force myself to read through a book but the new mistborn series is one of them and its heavily because of the characters. Frankly I'm just going to spoiler #3 when its out because I can't bring myself to read that drudgery agian.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Curious if you guys went any further after Alloy of Law. I only liked Bands of Mourning regarding the history aspects
    All the Lord Ruler stuff, why he was super powerful beyond any normal allomancer. Also the parts with TenSoon in Shadows of Self made it bearable.

Otherwise, only thing to look forward to in book #4 is everything happening outside the Elendel Basin. Characters are kinda shoe-horned in to the worldbuilding. Harmony is a bro though.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Finished Alloy, read about 30 pages of Shadows and put it down for good.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag