+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 201 FirstFirst ... 16 56 64 65 66 67 68 76 116 ... LastLast
    Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

HOLY SHIT

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

just noticed I got beaten lol, damn

Now will it be amazingly well done like GoT or more... Legend of the Seeker-y? Only time will tell!

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Ridill
    BG Level

Nearing the end of malazan book, Reapers Gale.
    Spoiler: show
    r.I.p. Toc the Younger. Unluckiest mother fucker in any books I can remember.
    One time I actually want to be spoiled on something, just with a simple yes or no response. Does Toc come into play later? His eye still with the Wolves seemed to imply there could be more going on with him.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Evane View Post
    I'm.. I'm so happy.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    Nearing the end of malazan book, Reapers Gale.
    r.I.p. Toc the Younger. Unluckiest mother fucker in any books I can remember.
    One time I actually want to be spoiled on something, just with a simple yes or no response. Does Toc come into play later? His eye still with the Wolves seemed to imply there could be more going on with him.
    Oh yeah, he's around later. Definitely finish the series; won't spoil it, but I will say you get resolution to way more things than you thought you might

And the Gentlemen Bastard Sequence is fucking awesome. Everyone read the two books that are out meow!

Ridill
    BG Level

Gonna take a break from Malazan after Reaper's Gale.
    What's a good quick read? Could be a series as long as it doesn't have massive amounts of pages per book.
    Like last time I took a break from Malazan I read Metro 2033 and the first 3 Dark Tower books. And before that, I read all the Harry Turtledove Invasion series.
    I could go back to the Dark Tower, but eehhhhhh that wasn't really grabbing me all that much.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Regarding the Dark Tower books, you are up to what most consider the best of the series.

If Wizard and Glass doesn't hook you I doubt you are going to like the rest. It's practically all Roland back story.

Wolves of the Calla was so slow but the last couple of chapters redeemed it for me. Song of Susannah was short and fast paced. So much was happening it kept me up so late because I needed to know what was happening. I literally closed the book and instantly went on to my kindle to purchase The Dark Tower to find out how things were going to end. Everyone has their issues with the finale but I loved it.

Currently working my way through the Honor Harrington books, really enjoying them. What are some other good military Scifi titles?

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

don't forget the short-story anthologies and not-starring-Honor books. They flesh out a lot of the characters Honor meets, a lot of the events she hears about but doesn't take part in, etc.

i use this page to keep track. just scroll past the plot stuff to the chronological list!

As for other military scifi... I found a short series by Elizabeth Moon that, if I remember correctly, is similar. Series is called Vatta's War. I read it once a long long time ago, it was cool. gonna re-read it once i finish asoiaf again. I've also read the Chanur subseries of C.J. Cherryh's Alliance-Union universe, and that was good, though not quite military sci fi. More like spies, maybe? Kinda like 007, only more emphasis on story. The Foreigner series is like that, too, but with more emphasis on the political side of it. They're both very good and well rounded- she does a good job of making you feel like they're aliens, not just humans with weird bodies, but still gets you attached to them. I hadn't realized the Chanur series was part of a larger series until I checked the names and whatnot just now, so I'll probably read that, too.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Pooky View Post
    Currently working my way through the Honor Harrington books, really enjoying them. What are some other good military Scifi titles?
    The belasarius novels are pretty amazing - not sure they qualify as sci-fi, maybe more like fantasy, but if you like the Harrington series, you might like these. David Drake and Eric Flint - One of the books in the series is named "An oblique approach", but I don't remember the first book in the series' name.

John Ringo and Weber (the Harrington author) wrote some stuff together. The empire of man series is what introduced me to Ringo. It starts with "March Upcountry" I think. That is a fun four books, but unlikely to have any more.

Ringo has three series I really like, one universe that starts with "A Hymn before battle", my favorite Ringo universe. The second book in that series, "Gust Front" might be my favorite book ever. Another universe that starts with the book "Ghost". That series is fun as hell, and um, has some fairly graphic sexual scenes. The third universe starts with "Live Free or Die.", which is like casual military sci-fi. Oh there is a fourth, the one that starts with, oh god, um..."There will be dragons." Shit, just read anything by Ringo, well you can ignore the princess of wands books. I'm a Christian and think they are weird. Not military sci-fi in any way. Definitely fantasy.

Ringo and Travis Taylor have an interesting series, one of the books is called "Claws that Catch". That one is more scienc-y than military-ish, but things blow up in that series too.

Don't forget Weber has another series he is writing for Tor books (the harrington books are published by Baen) called the Safehold series. That starts with "Off Armageddon Reef". That series really indulges Weber's desire to manipulate culture events to create conflict. those books are 600 pages of talking and 150 pages of fighting at the end - be warned. I like them though.

Stephen R. Donaldson wrote a series called "the gap" series. I like his Thomas Covenant novels more than the 5 book gap series, but again, stuff blows up in it. It's, um, slightly twisted and indulges Donaldson's fixation with flawed heroes.

Also, if you haven't read "Ender's Game" yet from Orson Scott Card, that should be your next read before the movie ruins it for a whole generation of people in November.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

Looking for suggestions for vampire novels that aren't teen romance or filed with the gays.

Something in the vein of Bram stroker.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Nancy collins' "sunglasses after dark" is more than decent. A little odd towards.the end but good.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinox View Post
    Looking for suggestions for vampire novels that aren't teen romance or filed with the gays.

Can try Brian Lumley's Necroscope series. It's a little more fantasy than just vampires though.

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    don't forget the short-story anthologies and not-starring-Honor books. They flesh out a lot of the characters Honor meets, a lot of the events she hears about but doesn't take part in, etc.

i use this page to keep track. just scroll past the plot stuff to the chronological list!

As for other military scifi... I found a short series by Elizabeth Moon that, if I remember correctly, is similar. Series is called Vatta's War. I read it once a long long time ago, it was cool. gonna re-read it once i finish asoiaf again. I've also read the Chanur subseries of C.J. Cherryh's Alliance-Union universe, and that was good, though not quite military sci fi. More like spies, maybe? Kinda like 007, only more emphasis on story. The Foreigner series is like that, too, but with more emphasis on the political side of it. They're both very good and well rounded- she does a good job of making you feel like they're aliens, not just humans with weird bodies, but still gets you attached to them. I hadn't realized the Chanur series was part of a larger series until I checked the names and whatnot just now, so I'll probably read that, too.
    Read Vatta's War a while ago and really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    The belasarius novels are pretty amazing - not sure they qualify as sci-fi, maybe more like fantasy, but if you like the Harrington series, you might like these. David Drake and Eric Flint - One of the books in the series is named "An oblique approach", but I don't remember the first book in the series' name.

John Ringo and Weber (the Harrington author) wrote some stuff together. The empire of man series is what introduced me to Ringo. It starts with "March Upcountry" I think. That is a fun four books, but unlikely to have any more.

Ringo has three series I really like, one universe that starts with "A Hymn before battle", my favorite Ringo universe. The second book in that series, "Gust Front" might be my favorite book ever. Another universe that starts with the book "Ghost". That series is fun as hell, and um, has some fairly graphic sexual scenes. The third universe starts with "Live Free or Die.", which is like casual military sci-fi. Oh there is a fourth, the one that starts with, oh god, um..."There will be dragons." Shit, just read anything by Ringo, well you can ignore the princess of wands books. I'm a Christian and think they are weird. Not military sci-fi in any way. Definitely fantasy.

Ringo and Travis Taylor have an interesting series, one of the books is called "Claws that Catch". That one is more scienc-y than military-ish, but things blow up in that series too.

Don't forget Weber has another series he is writing for Tor books (the harrington books are published by Baen) called the Safehold series. That starts with "Off Armageddon Reef". That series really indulges Weber's desire to manipulate culture events to create conflict. those books are 600 pages of talking and 150 pages of fighting at the end - be warned. I like them though.

Stephen R. Donaldson wrote a series called "the gap" series. I like his Thomas Covenant novels more than the 5 book gap series, but again, stuff blows up in it. It's, um, slightly twisted and indulges Donaldson's fixation with flawed heroes.

Also, if you haven't read "Ender's Game" yet from Orson Scott Card, that should be your next read before the movie ruins it for a whole generation of people in November.
    Lol, of course I've read Ender's. Will definitely check out the other titles you guys mentioned, thanks :D

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinox View Post

Tanya Huff has a pretty decent series. Blood Price, Blood Trail, Blood Lines, Blood Pact, Blood Debt. The protagonist is a vampire, not gay (bi though) and they feature other supernatural creatures as the villians. Demons, mummies, werewolves, zombies, and ghosts.

I can also recommend Robert McCammon's They Thirst and Bentley Little's The Summoning.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Xantavia View Post
    Tanya Huff has a pretty decent series. Blood Price, Blood Trail, Blood Lines, Blood Pact, Blood Debt. The protagonist is a vampire, not gay (bi though) and they feature other supernatural creatures as the villians. Demons, mummies, werewolves, zombies, and ghosts.

I can also recommend Robert McCammon's They Thirst and Bentley Little's The Summoning.
    Yah, I like Tonya Huff's stuff. The enchanment emporium is a fun read.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

On the matter of Honor Harrington, I was going down my author list today checking for updates on release dates and stumbled across this.
    http://forums.davidweber.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4364 (the poster is David Weber)

What I’m really excited about right this minute, though, is the way things are moving forward with Evergreen Studios on the first Honorverse feature film, with a projected 2016 release date. It’s still very early days, of course, and there are still all sorts of things that have to be resolved, but Evergreen is deeply committed to the project and every discussion I’ve had with them so far indicates to me that they are seriously committed to presenting the Honorverse as the Honorverse, rather than some Hollywood-ized version of the Honorverse. I know there are going to be some changes in the visual presentation of the books, and there’s not really any way in a movie length feature to do all the nuances of the books, but there’s a right way and a wrong way to adapt novels to the screen, and I think these guys are determined to do it the right way.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

nice! i think they have good potential. when i was reading the one where she's on grayson for the first time, there's a scene where, when i was done reading it, i said to myself "i want to see that in a movie" because the combat was just so amazing.

also, i was hoping they'd have an RTS or strategy game based on it, but they don't. however, they do have a tabletop wargame! Saganami Island Tactical Simulator. Looks like fun.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag