+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 199 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Anyone have some good fantasy recommendations or mythology?

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo View Post
    Anyone have some good fantasy recommendations or mythology?
    Like, straight-up mythology? Like Greek/Roman Legends? If so

http://www.booksforthefuture.org/fil...0446607258.jpg

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Any or all Mert.

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

Gonna sound lame because it's one of my favorite books (and it probably doesnt really classify as 'mythology' or 'fantasy') but I'd reccommend Dante's Inferno since there is a lot of historical/mythological figures in it. Specifically John Ciardi's translation, he did a good job of putting it into english tezra rima (sp).

If you can stand ye olde englishe (or find some prose or modern translation) could give the Faerie Queene a try.

This is tough on short notice.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I own a really nice edition of Dante's Inferno, which Ive read 3 times, and Ill check out the other one, thanks alot Mert.

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Found some of my old Lovecraft lying around, started reading em again.

goddamn that fucker was so far ahead of his time.

Shadow out of Time, omnomnomnom

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Just finished the Alera books. Damn fine, though reading them all back to back, the finale loses bang due to awesome fatigue.

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

just finished the bhagavad gita. good stuff.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dense Fever
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by BrillCS View Post
    I think Choke is probably my favorite Palahniuk book. I'm very picky when it comes to his books. I either love them or hate them.
    I think that is a normal response. If you are in line with his rant on life/society and/or you have sympathy or angst for his characters, his tired over-stated opinions and extremely basic vocabulary become comedy gold. If you feel distanced from the characters or narrative, his writing becomes like fingernails on a chalkboard. His approach to writing means that highly critical comments can be made about him. Almost anyone holds the vocabulary that he has, and he doesn't often paint pictures with adjectives, preferring to rely on gimmicks and recurring "choruses."

Basically, for me, everything after Choke was pretty much downhill. Rant was boring, Lullaby was overdone and tired, Diary was well-written but bland in narrative and characters, and I've not picked up Pygmy, due to lack of enthusiasm...

Survivor was a great book, Choke is probably my favourite of them, Fight Club is 100% win, Invisible Monsters was agitating and far-fetched, but the societal rant was worth it.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I thought Pygmy was absolutely horrid. Now onto the Alera series.

Spoiler: show
    I am fairly pleased with the end of the series. I accidentally picked up book five and somehow I forgot to pick up Captain's Fury. So I read 5 and was like, I don't remember any of this happening. So then I ran over to Borders and picked up First Lord at lunch two days ago to finish off the series. Now onto the fun.

Bernard and Amara continue to be the most boring people in that series. I could have done without them in the series. The Isana and Avaris relationship was interesting throughout especially once all the details came to light. Though I think most of us figured after book three that Tavi was more than was being shared at the time.

The relationship between Tavi and Kitai I thought was very well done and worth devoting more time to(which sadly, was never really done.) Especially her insistence at Tavi courting her because she was pregnant. The only downside of the series was the Vord. I didn't really care for them as antagonists and never could really get into them at all.

The Canim were a far better antagonist as far as I'm concerned. I also think Tavi asked Alera to give the other races furycrafting abilities. Making Varg a high lord was an interesting twist but as it was said up above, they are long lived and humans aren't. Eventually Tavi's work will probably end up being laid to waste as the Canim decide to rule the world etc.

All told, a very good series that I expected very little from when I picked up the first one. Butcher did a fantastic job stepping away from the Dresden/Chicago writings to give people something different. Sad to see that the series is over.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Well, hopefully Jim will be starting his Sci-fi series after Changes is finished to fill the Alera void.

Spoiler: show
    I think Bernard and Amara suffer from having to compete with Tavi and Kitai in the romance department, and that's not a fight anyone's going to win. That said, their bit in Captain's Fury is probably the most boring part of the entire series for me, chapter upon chapter of walking through swamps until Gaius finally goes god mode. Their end kinda bugged me too. I thought them building a big family of adopted kids was a much more charming angle than Amara being miraculously healed.

Aside from the epilogue though, a worthy end to the series. It was nice seeing Tavi finally using the strength that's been hinted at since we found out who his father was.

Edit: Also enjoyed the bit with Ehren. I like how Jim built him up from the meek little mouse in book 2 into a competent and dangerous man.

aduidarnenye

I've been reading the "Kingdom of Thorn and Bone" series by Gregory Keyes. It's one of those epic saga fantasy series but not as bogged down as "Wheel of Time" or "Song of Ice and Fire". The writing is quite good and the characters and storyline are well done. The action moves along at a nice pace. The books aren't massive 800 page books too.

The first one is "The Briar King"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rKingCover.jpg

Book two is called "The Charnel Prince". Book three is "The Blood Knight". The final volume is "The Born Queen".

It's also a bit of an alternative history for real life as well, but that's very very minor (at least in the first three books, I've not read the last yet).

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

http://worldofdrizzt.com/images/darkelftrilogy.gif

On Exile. Been years since I've read them and I'm loving it all over again.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Illyana Rasputina
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Currently :-

Ravenor: The Omnibus
    Another Warhammer 40K - Tales of the Inquisition set, by Dan Abnett

Looking forward to reading :-

The complete chronicles of Conan: Centenary edition (Hardcover)

MMmmmmmmmmmm

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Vandole View Post
    just finished the bhagavad gita. good stuff.
    Have you tried reading all of the Mahabharata? An epic task, scared me off.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

At-swim-two-birds by Brain O'Nolan (Flann O'Brian)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

Bamp

Anywho, just finished Ellison's Invisible Man, loved it. I thought of The Stranger a bit while reading it, especially the prologue and last chapter/epilogue.

Have downtime from reading in class, getting reacquainted with my complete works of Poe anthology.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 199 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag