+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

BG Martial Artists/Yoga pplz (The one or 2 of you out there)

Ok, what are some good ways to add some flexibility to my legs? I'm about 5"7', and have always wanted to kick a motherfucker right in the chin. So I'm looking to kick up to at least a guy who is 6"2's chin.

What I've been doing now is kicking as high as I can on each leg about 10 times and on the last time I use something of equal height to hold my leg in place once i kick there and hold that position for 10 seconds. I just started last week and have been doing it every other day, about 3 sets of the above described.

So yea, any tips/exercises that can help w/ my kicking dilemma, please do drop a message here.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

idk if this is the answer you looking for, but before i shower and go to sleep, i been stretching the fuck out of my hamstrings and doing squats. im 6'2 and i can almost put my foot up on my head even for a bigger guy like me. im trying to tighten my ass and thighs and its been getting more versatile with new exercises and stretches and shit lol.

i know it sounds basic, but shit. works for me at least. i can jump fences like i used to when i was 14 again. but i aint ever try to kick nobody lol.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

stretching. Learn proper technique. practice.

I have my heavy bags suspended at a height that replicates a 6' 6" person and practice with that. Head kicked the hell out of a guy who said I couldn't kick him in the face. Laughed my ass off at him when we cleaned him up.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Stretching your hamstrings how? And I already do squats (though prolly should do more its only a small part of my work out to do between sets of other workouts). I also bike often which helps the legs, but that portion isn't helping towards the flexibility.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

bend down and touch your toes, cross right foot over left, do it again. cross left foot over right, do it again lol. 20s ints each time. than lift your leg up and bend it back so the tip of your foot is touching your ass and hold it for as long as you can, and balance it. do it with the left one. after that, just do what the other guy said. i personally just work on my squats

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    Stretching your hamstrings how? And I already do squats (though prolly should do more its only a small part of my work out to do between sets of other workouts). I also bike often which helps the legs, but that portion isn't helping towards the flexibility.
    A good hamstring stretch it to put your heel on a bar at the height of your waist or higher(as you progress) and bend your upper body to the leg(face to toes). Add in bending your free leg at the knee.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

get a Wii fit. It has yoga and some martial arts and is a surprisingly good work out from your living room.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

traning tips

I forgot stretch your hips. A great workout for that and your whole leg. Take a stool( or chair of reasonable height nothing too tall to start with) stand with it in front of you with your feet together. Bring(kick) your right leg over the stool then your left leg ending with feet together. then do the reverse with left leg first then right. Keep alternating for about 1-2minutes then do some squats and go back to the stool. You'll feel that.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

1) Place one leg straight up against a door frame as close as you can. With the other leg on the ground through the door. Raise the leg through the door straight up as close to 90deg as you can. Repeat 10 times for a set. After 10, scoot closer to the door and stretch out the hamstring of the raised leg. [3 sets per leg]

2) Using an exercise ball; place the back of your heels on the top of the ball, raise your butt off the ground while tightening your core muscles. Roll the ball back towards you with your feet. Raise your lower back even higher. Go back to the ready position. Repeat 15 times for a set. [2 sets]

3) In plank position, lift one leg off the ground, keeping all muscles tensed. Hold for 30 seconds. Alternate to get 3 lifts per leg.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Exactly what i was looking for. Thanks will def be trying this stuff out. All suggestions still welcome though.

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    BG Level

When I do leg exercises (squats basically), which I don't do much of, my legs don't hurt the day after but they do hurt the 2nd and 3rd days after which is kind of weird.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Get a step stool

aduidarnenye

This is an excellent book. I use it for training in TKD. It's by a fellow named Jean Frenette, a French-Canadian kickboxer dude.

Amazon.com: Beyond Kicking: A Complete Guide to Stretching and Kicking (9780865681545): Hartesel: Books

Daniel Rand
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

bruce lee said if you want to learn how to kick, kick.
    3 sets of 10 kicks every other day is really not that much, you need lots of repetition to commit to muscle memory. It would also help if you had a heavy bag or something of the sort to hit rather than just kick air.

If you haven't already look for some videos on proper kicking technique, like a front kick or roundhouse. Kicking high doesn't mean anything without power behind it and if you're doing it sloppily someone can just catch ur leg and fuck you up.

BG Level

If you make shadow clones you can learn so much faster!

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Blarg View Post
    When I do leg exercises (squats basically), which I don't do much of, my legs don't hurt the day after but they do hurt the 2nd and 3rd days after which is kind of weird.
    lay down on a couch with your feet up on the back of it for a few minutes after

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    lay down on a couch with your feet up on the back of it for a few minutes after
    what's the reasoning behind this, and does it only work after the workout or would it still do something if I do it the day after

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Blarg View Post
    what's the reasoning behind this, and does it only work after the workout or would it still do something if I do it the day after
    Increase blood circulation and promote muscle recovery. Basically less blood will pool at the bottom of your leg.

Do it right after your workout.

I haven't read any other replies, so here goes:

Start out by stretching your inner thighs, hamstrings, thighs and hips. Find a punching bag, and practice kicking high (as high as proper form will take you). After your legs are sufficiently warm/tired, do the same stretches again after the leg kicks.

When I first started kicking, I couldn't kick any higher than my hips, now I can easily reach 6'2" with my (right) leg.

assburgers
    BG Level

Dunno about you, but I can't kick much beyond waist height with the same power as I can at or just below waist height, so it's not much use beyond showing off is it?

I wanna hit someone in the head... I can punch with roughly the same power whether reaching up to a 6'~ target, or down to a 4'~ target.

Assuming I really wanted to damage someone though, I'd want the strikes at the height where I can get maximum rotation and extension of the source of the energy.

A wind up and step in into a straight side kick at hip level, or a shoulder height punch with full hip>waist>shoulder>elbow>wrist windup and follow through.

Anything higher that I would want to kick... well... being hit in the face with a knee really fucking hurts.