+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

how do you politely say "no" to free things

OK so I work at a tutoring center, and one of my student's parents own a chili restaurant. they are very nice but they keep making these sandwiches (4 huge pieces) and the student brings them in for myself and the owner. (they also give us stuff when we go to eat at the restaurant). these sandwiches aren't that bad, but not all that great (they are not something normally on the menu). But to be nice I take them, and usually make my fiance eat one .XD his mom doesn't like me putting it in the fridge because they take up space, and therefore the other three usually end up getting thrown away (which at the same time she gets upset with me for wasting food).

I've tried on several occasion to be like "you really shouldn't be doing this" or "we don't have the space", but they keep giving thinking I'm just being polite (and they are very pushy about giving it). I don't want to upset them either since I don't want them pulling their son out of the center.

So I'm trying to figure out a way to get it through their head without seeming to be rude.

Ridill
    BG Level

Kill the parents, make chili from their meat, feed it to the children.

Obviously.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Tell them politely that a new policy at the center prevents you from taking any gifts above your normal compensation from clients. Tell them you appreciate the gifts but cannot take them anymore.

Or you could do the chili thing. The upside of that is then the parents wouldn't be able to pull the kid from the tutoring center.

assburgers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    Kill the parents, make chili from their meat, feed it to the children.

Obviously.
    For once, Plow, I completely agree.

Look straight ahead and keep walking.

no but seriously just don't bring them home. If they insist on giving them and you don't want to be rude that's fine, but no one is telling you to take them home with you there's a garbage can on the way out, isn't there? Or a public trash can if you don't want to leave the evidence at work.

EAST BAY JEDI DONT GIVE A FUCK
    BG Level

Throw it away before you go home

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

"No Thanks"?

Banned.

BG Level

"I'm on a diet"

(Which wouldn't be a bad idea, tbh)

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Having a conversation will just make you look bad, whatever you try to say. Throw it away at home, not in the parking lot, or at work, you're just asking for more trouble if you get caught.

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BRP View Post
    "I'm on a diet"

(Which wouldn't be a bad idea, tbh)
    http://i35.tinypic.com/r7j2jb.jpg

Relic Shield
    BG Level

give it to a homeless person then as you walk away, get it over the back of your head cause he asked for change not food you stupid bitch

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by vagus View Post
    Having a conversation will just make you look bad, whatever you try to say. Throw it away at home, not in the parking lot, or at work, you're just asking for more trouble if you get caught.
    ya I think I'll end up doing that, sucks though I do feel bad for wasting food, but it's better than dealing with future mother-in-law's dirty looks.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Hmm I would say giving it to a homeless person or telling them you can't accept gifts would both work too, and prevent the wasting of food.

Repeat "you really shouldn't be doing this" or "we don't have the space" every day until they either get tired of pushing the issue, or you get tired of pushing the issue. This will be a true battle of will.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    Hmm I would say giving it to a homeless person or telling them you can't accept gifts would both work too, and prevent the wasting of food.
    I was thinking that in my head too, but it would first require finding a homeless person/shelter to drop it off at. I guess I will have to see while trying to slowly hint to stop giving me them XD

Gave 5$ to bg and all I could think of was this lousy title.
    -____-

BG Level

Wtf kind of issue is that. It's food. Worst case scenario, you eat it in 30 sec and shit red for the next 4 hours.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Go to their restaurant, order something that looks good to you. As you're leaving (or the next time you see them) compliment them by saying, "Hey, the _____ I had is possibly the best I've ever tasted." Maybe they'll start bringing that in, instead. If that fails, do the public trashcan thing. Or confront your mother-in-law and tell her that if she wants to waste food she can throw them out, but otherwise you're keeping it in the fridge.

I don't really see an issue here. Give it to another student/tutor at the tutoring center.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Tell them you don't like their sandwiches.

Next?