+ Reply to Thread
    Relic Shield
    BG Level

Sick of "Holds" on my debit/credit card.

I am seriously fucking sick of seeing:
    Account Balance: 100.00
    Available Balance: 80.00

Then going and seeing some little shit hasn't taken their fucking money that I obviously have out of my bank yet and making me wait to see what I spent what on.

This shit should be illegal as fuck. Just take your fucking money and get off my nuts.

lol, its there to keep you from stiffing them when they collect fees from you. Be it maintenance fees, or ATM Fees.

Why do you have a bank account if you are worried about that 20$. Just keep the cash on you.

"Then going and seeing some little shit hasn't taken their fucking money that I obviously have out of my bank yet and making me wait to see what I spent what on." <-- and what the hell is happening in this sentence.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

actually the do it because overdraft fees are banks greatest source of income.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kwijiboe View Post
    lol, its there to keep you from stiffing them when they collect fees from you. Be it maintenance fees, or ATM Fees.

Why do you have a bank account if you are worried about that 20$. Just keep the cash on you.

"Then going and seeing some little shit hasn't taken their fucking money that I obviously have out of my bank yet and making me wait to see what I spent what on." <-- and what the hell is happening in this sentence.
    Say I spent like 50 bucks in 20 places. I'm not going to remember what 20 places I went. I'm sick of wanting to go and check then seeing oh they held my money instead of just taking it and it pisses me off.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Why do you only have $100 in your bank account.

I think "100$" is more for illustrative purposes. But to OP, use cash more. Easier to manage your money and notice how much you spend, and you can probably avoid that problem.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by 510Meeze View Post
    Why do you only have $100 in your bank account.
    Its an example .

Vuitton

I think "100$" is more for illustrative purposes. But to OP, use cash more. Easier to manage your money and notice how much you spend, and you can probably avoid that problem.
    That and keep your receipts until the charges post to your account. This way you have a physical record of what you spent to reference until its drawn from your account.

Also, its not hard to only have $100 in your checking account for all sorts of reasons. Its pretty common. Although, probably more common at the end of the month instead of the start of the month.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

That isn't a very accurate statement. Cash leaves no paper trail, I NEVER use cash for anything. Debit for everything so I can keep track of what I spend, where, what time. Besides, notice how much you spend? You are more likely to buy more things with 100 dollars in cash than you are with a debit card and no cash.

Edit: At the above poster, you say keep receipts. Wouldn't it be easier to just use debit to keep track? I use my card 3-4x a day, I don't want a receipt for a 89c pack of gum I bought just to keep track of things.

If you take out 100$ from your bank account. It shows up that you took 100$ from your bank account. Because you see the money leaving your hands everytime you buy something, you are more wary of what you are spending. That is my opinion.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

If you take out 100$ from your bank account. It shows up that you took 100$ from your bank account. Because you see the money leaving your hands everytime you buy something, you are more wary of what you are spending. That is my opinion.
    I see your point. Based just on preference i Guess.

Vuitton

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent View Post
    That isn't a very accurate statement. Cash leaves no paper trail, I NEVER use cash for anything. Debit for everything so I can keep track of what I spend, where, what time. Besides, notice how much you spend? You are more likely to buy more things with 100 dollars in cash than you are with a debit card and no cash.

Edit: At the above poster, you say keep receipts. Wouldn't it be easier to just use debit to keep track? I use my card 3-4x a day, I don't want a receipt for a 89c pack of gum I bought just to keep track of things.
    We're talking about using a debit card. Often times a debit charge won't post to your account for 1 to 3 business days if you don't or can't use your pin code. I use my debit card almost exclusively, so this isn't a new phenomenon to me. I always have pending charges on my account for things like starbucks coffee, meals, purchases, ect.

Since you don't use your pin at starbucks or restaurants, its processed like a check and not a debit, which is why charges are shown as pending and held against your account until they post.

Elvaan Death Machine
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Ikith View Post
    Say I spent like 50 bucks in 20 places. I'm not going to remember what 20 places I went. I'm sick of wanting to go and check then seeing oh they held my money instead of just taking it and it pisses me off.
    Credit transactions are all processed in large batches instead of individually, and depending on how lazy the merchants are they may take a few days to process their transactions which is why it may take a few days to hit your account. Or you could stop being a bitch and use your PIN since debit transactions are processed individually and hit your account instantly.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaun View Post
    Credit transactions are all processed in large batches instead of individually, and depending on how lazy the merchants are they may take a few days to process their transactions which is why it may take a few days to hit your account. Or you could stop being a bitch and use your PIN since debit transactions are processed individually and hit your account instantly.
    Some places just swipe give you your food/coffee then expect you to leave. I didn't know you could ask them to use your PIN on low purchases. Or can you?

Also your statement on credit transactions seems to be untrue. I'm looking at my statement right now and I see 2 credit transactions within 5 mins of eachother that total 20 dollars that show individually (Starbucks and Fred Meyer). Maybe its just your bank?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

When I got signed up for my checking account, the bank guy said not to use my PIN because it charges the bank more than using it as credit does. I think he might have said something about me being charged a little bit too. Is that true or was he just saying that so I wouldn't do it?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Some places just swipe give you your food/coffee then expect you to leave. I didn't know you could ask them to use your PIN on low purchases. Or can you?

Also your statement on credit transactions seems to be untrue. I'm looking at my statement right now and I see 2 credit transactions within 5 mins of eachother that total 20 dollars that show individually (Starbucks and Fred Meyer). Maybe its just your bank?
    They ask you whether to run it as debit or credit, usually. Or at least, they ask me.

And my credit card website lets me view pending transactions which haven't been processed yet, although there can be a delay depending on time of day, and day of the week.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin View Post
    They ask you whether to run it as debit or credit, usually. Or at least, they ask me.

And my credit card website lets me view pending transactions which haven't been processed yet, although there can be a delay depending on time of day, and day of the week.

Uh when did I ask whether to run it as debit or credit?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaun View Post
    To which you responded:

To which I responded that they usually give you the option of credit, or using your PIN for a debit transaction.