Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan
    WoW Realm
    Anub'arak

Alkalurops VS HQ ele staff FOR BRD

Anyone run a test regarding these 2 against each other? can Alkalurops replace HQ staff for elegy Lullaby etc?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

HQ staves are 30 MACC, correct? Alkalurops are at best equal, and at worst 5 MACC less. CHR does nothing for potency.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinryuu View Post
    HQ staves are 30 MACC, correct? Alkalurops are at best equal, and at worst 5 MACC less. CHR does nothing for potency.
    This being true i have also seen Brd/whm land elegy on Khim and Cerb using Alkalurops, while another bard with around same gear and merits fail to stick it using HQ staves...

I am not a brd so i can not give you a full run down comparison of the two but this is what i have seen...

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable View Post
    This being true i have also seen Brd/whm land elegy on Khim and Cerb using Alkalurops, while another bard with around same gear and merits fail to stick it using HQ staves...

I am not a brd so i can not give you a full run down comparison of the two but this is what i have seen...
    Anecdotal evidence means absolutely nothing for stuff like this. HQ staves are better for pure accuracy.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

On mobs with high resist rate, there's at the very least a floor of 5% accuracy. Just because one brd got lucky and hit that 5% while another one didn't, doesn't really mean anything. (brd landing silence on kirin, etc)

(On Cerb anyway, I think it's a little bit easier to land Elegy on Khim)

Somewhere, someone is trying to hate me to death for my crusade of trying to convince everyone that AV is defeatable.
    (PS: Kill yourself)

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by drwaffles View Post
    Anecdotal evidence means absolutely nothing for stuff like this. HQ staves are better for pure accuracy.
    Does no one no of the tests that have been done relating to magical land rate in skill, MACC, and attributes? Also there were direct tests HQ staves vs. Alk which showed that they were identical, in the situation. It can either be equal, or slightly worse (5MACC unless there is another tier unknown relating to attributes) than HQ staves based on testing.

The unbearable triteness of preening: Give me data or give me...

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I do understand how magic accuracy works. "Equal to or slightly worse than" means you should be using HQ staves if you only need accuracy, I don't see why that's in question. Perhaps the term "better" was a bit ambiguous - they're not always better, but the fact that they're always equal to or better than Alkalurops means that they are, in a general sense, the better choice for when you need accuracy.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

The reason the staff is as pricey as it is is because situationally a RDM's dMND gets a boost of 10 without sacrificing any MACC. For Slow II this is especially hot. BRDs may think "wow, RDMs use it, maybe I should too". No.

Unless, of course, BRD MACC works differently (the staff's MACC applying to both singing and wind or some unlikely bullshit like that)

EternalBlowJob
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I love my Alkalurops <3. I use it on rdm as well and have no problems landing stuff.

Old Merits
    BG Level

What do you fight in terms of worthwhile targets, though? When it comes to my Bard, I think the toughest thing I've had to land Elegy on in months has been a Salvage boss, which isn't hard at all.

EternalBlowJob
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Onorgul View Post
    What do you fight in terms of worthwhile targets, though? When it comes to my Bard, I think the toughest thing I've had to land Elegy on in months has been a Salvage boss, which isn't hard at all.
    Are you talking to me or someone else? ;o

Somewhere, someone is trying to hate me to death for my crusade of trying to convince everyone that AV is defeatable.
    (PS: Kill yourself)

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shinryuu View Post
    The reason the staff is as pricey as it is is because situationally a RDM's dMND gets a boost of 10 without sacrificing any MACC. For Slow II this is especially hot. BRDs may think "wow, RDMs use it, maybe I should too". No.

Unless, of course, BRD MACC works differently (the staff's MACC applying to both singing and wind or some unlikely bullshit like that)
    Actually it is probably more that people don't know/understand MACC that it is so high. They assume it is better, plus it takes the place of all HQ staves for non-nuke, plus it adds some potency.

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSnow View Post
    I love my Alkalurops <3. I use it on rdm as well and have no problems landing stuff.
    I've thought about buying one, but most of what I do on RDM these days, I'd happily trade the MAcc on Alkalurops for the extra MND of wand/shield.

Would be nice to have on occasion, but the opportunity cost is still a tad high given the niche role.

We wear wine red on Wednesdays

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I've landed silence on Khim dicking around bored as cor/whm.

game is all fucked up

They are not better for khimera or odin since your accuracy is floored @ 5% for full duration and 4.75% for half duration ; Therefore, HQ staff or not, alkalurops or not, merit or not, you will land slow/elegy 9.75% of the time, nothing can help this unless you stick threnody/death blossom/ninjustsu/AM..

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    They are not better for khimera or odin since your accuracy is floored @ 5% for full duration and 4.75% for half duration ; Therefore, HQ staff or not, alkalurops or not, merit or not, you will land slow/elegy 9.75% of the time, nothing can help this unless you stick threnody/death blossom/ninjustsu/AM..
    Thank you Captain Obvious.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Thank you Captain Obvious.
    He's not an iddle redmage, after all.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I don't know if this helps at all or not, but with alk. I have noticed a drastic increase in my ability to land Lullaby and elegy, aka, reduced Resists. As opposed to HQ staves where i would miss about 1/10 or so elegy's, i miss around 1/50-60 now. Its made my meriting experiences more fruitful. I also use this on rdm. A friend of mind had HQ stave, better enfeebling gear and we just were messing around, out of about 30 binds, i wasn't resisted once on Faust, He was resisted 6 times, Same for Zipicana and BB in Sky(not exactally 30 and 6 but just him being resisted over me). However those aren't proven test results just what I've experienced first hand. I know it land my requiems a lot easier on things like Proto-Omega, but there's other brds out there that dont have it and dont have an issue with merits and s uch. I have no CHR or BRD merits(ie. Wind/Singing/String Skill I have Job spec. Merits.). If this doesn't help, sorry for wasting your time if it did, Glad to help, If anyone know HOW i can test this, or where to find something to test this vs. a HQ stave, i'm more then happy to try, let me know Via PM.

I lol'd, this game is so old yet people are still so uninformed despite the information being out there, or they are just ingnorant.

User was infracted for this post.

rolling 3 dice and not getting a 4 does not mean the dice are weighted.