Bahamut

It's Korean, I abandoned any hope for it long ago ;<

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Why is it so difficult to get a game that looks and plays like this, but made in the west that is content based and not shallow? Is that too much to ask for?

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Alderaan View Post
    Why is it so difficult to get a game that looks and plays like this, but made in the west that is content based and not shallow? Is that too much to ask for?
    Until someone proves me wrong, I am going to say yes, you can't have the cake and eat it too.

Although that entirely depends on what one wants from a game. Sometimes you don't even care if you can't eat that cake.

Also, what the fuck at Frogster being the publisher in Europe? Fuck you too BlueHole.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Ahaha i just saw the Frogster thing and laughed.

Who's handling it in NA?

New Odin
    BG Level

I think it's BlueHole themselves. Lucky you (maybe) =/

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Because the only thing the west is capable of making seems to be Morrowind/Elder Scrolls type games built off the same template of text-based adventures from the 70's and 80's.

Your question is a good one, but it shows that both side of the fence (eastern and western developers) are set in their ways. You're not going to see a true fusion until shit, some company composed of nothing but half-japanese/half-american developers and Americanized Japanese/Easternized Americans programmers.

Its the whole east meets west thing.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by SamanosukeShiva View Post
    Is it just me or this game has better graphic than ff14?
    not even close. I played the game at Comic Con and asked a bunch of questions. The playable version was late alpha, and i asked if graphics would get a revamp and the dev said no. Looks a lot like aion's graphics.. character models look identical

New Odin
    BG Level

Even then there's going to be a clash of ideals which probably ruins the game anyway.

I bet it would be a half-assed mix of both styles that doesn't really know what it wants to be.

Somehow that reminds me of Tabula Rasa.

Also, what it costs to create a game that plays like this well enough is probably taken off other parts of the game as far as the budget goes. In Korea that probably means mid-level content and lack of polish in other parts of the gameplay.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Ahaha i just saw the Frogster thing and laughed.

Who's handling it in NA?
    En Masse http://www.enmasse.com/ is in charge of NA release. I think they will do a great job of it personally.

Like avelle said earleir though, right now they are being really stingy on real info. NDA is still in effect so I and other FGT people cant say anything yet.

I'll still be buying/playing this game when it comes out. I know everyone and their grandma gives a "my review of the game"type post, but if people are curious about it I'll give my 2 cents here when the time comes.

Gay-O-Meter Rating
    c=8 c=8 c=8 c=8
    Hard Gay

BG Level

I played in the first FGT and I honestly think its gameplay is worse than Vindictus/Mabinogi Heroes which is a F2P MMO. Very pretty though.

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by SamanosukeShiva View Post
    Is it just me or this game has better graphic than ff14?
    Better game play from the looks of it too.

Of course none of that matters without content. I'll wait and see with this game. Don't want another Aion.

I hardly think the game comes close to XIV in graphics. XIV has much more detail in just about everything, let alone the lighting effects. This looks a lot more like a slight step behind Aion in terms of graphics. Possibly better models for somethings, the horse/stargate/wormhole flight path has got to be one of the better things I have seen concept wise in an MMO in a while.

Gameplay? Well, honestly, we don't fully understand the complete level of gameplay of XIV yet. Its still in beta just like TERA is in Alpha. I will admit that Tera's alpha gameplay looks a lot more simplistic and easy to jump right into than XIV's, but then again XI was not a player-friendly game in the beginning either. While I think SE needs to make XIV a lot more player-friendly, its gameplay is still being iterated as proven by the fact that combat changed so drastically from Alpha to Beta.

Back to the OP though... TERA looks and feels a lot like Aion to me, and we all know how much of a failure Aion turned out to be in the end.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by niwaar View Post
    I hardly think the game comes close to XIV in graphics. XIV has much more detail in just about everything, let alone the lighting effects. This looks a lot more like a slight step behind Aion in terms of graphics. Possibly better models for somethings, the horse/stargate/wormhole flight path has got to be one of the better things I have seen concept wise in an MMO in a while.
    This. I would place this somewhere between WoW and Aion on the graphics, and them saying no graphics update is kind of surprising, it felt very 'early', like there will be enhancements later.

Played in the last FGT for Tera, and the gameplay was definitely different from any mmo I've played before. I think SE is trying to get XIV's style to be closer to what Tera is. It definitely felt a lot better/easier to play with a controller, but that does limit your choices for skill activations some over a keyboard. As of FGT2 there were a good number of quests and such at the beginning, but it was just filler stuff, no story really, and I don't recall any cutscenes, let alone something to draw you in.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

How difficult was the healing with the lack of a targeting system? Everything AoE mostly?

New Odin
    BG Level

I'm surprised the graphics are actually worse than Aion, because Aion was just ugly in my opinion, at least the environments were. TERA looked much better from the SS's I've seen, photoshopped I guess? I remember when I first saw Aion it looked much better than when I got to actually play it too.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

How difficult was the healing with the lack of a targeting system? Everything AoE mostly?
    from what I played. Everything is AoE and you just face the direction you want stuff to go off. very action game (ala dynasty warriors feel). Well not everything is AoE.. but if you shoot a fireball into 2 mobs standing next to each other.. and if you position it so it hits them both.. then yeah. The game doesn't have a targeting system.

One thing that cracked me up was the dev wanted to point out to me the outfit system.. Being all proud saying how "the body armor determines your entire outfit.. So you will no longer be running around in non matching stuff like in all other mmo's!"

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    One thing that cracked me up was the dev wanted to point out to me the outfit system.. Being all proud saying how "the body armor determines your entire outfit.. So you will no longer be running around in non matching stuff like in all other mmo's!"
    Rotfl

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    I'm surprised the graphics are actually worse than Aion, because Aion was just ugly in my opinion, at least the environments were. TERA looked much better from the SS's I've seen, photoshopped I guess? I remember when I first saw Aion it looked much better than when I got to actually play it too.
    This. Aion is a prime example of the fact that just having pretty character models does not a great game make. I'd rather have my character look like a turd with gorgeous, innovative and immersive backgrounds and environments, than the latter. Aion's environments looked like something out of Mechwarrior 4 mercs, and that shit came out over a decade ago.

Of course, you want some kind of balance between them (something around WotLK, with nicely-upgraded environments ala. storm peaks, yet with poly and hi-def. upgrades on characters and gear), which FFXIV seems to have in buckets, but graphics, while important, won't make the game.

In Aion's case, the shoddy environmental graphics were just another stone on the pile of complaints.

This game looks like a cross between WoW and Dungeon Siege, which ain't a bad thing at all, so long as they know what market they're trying to grab.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Here is a short video I showed a few friends of mine a while ago. Watch it in HD if you can. Anyway, its just a simple idle animation from in game, but I think it displays the graphic look of the game really well. I personally love the graphics. I cant compare them to Aion because I never played it, like wise with FFXIV. Is one better or worse than the other? I guess, maybe, probably? I dont think anyone can look at this and say the graphics are bad though /shrug

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Aion had an identical thing. It's it's one thing NC did get right, it was the character models and animations. They just needed more race variety.

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Aion had an identical thing. It's it's one thing NC did get right, it was the character models and animations. They just needed more race variety.
    Yes, Aion did extremely well with character models and animations. You can not play that game without acknowledging that this was the best thing the game had going for it. Character models were superb and extremely customizable (which was a double edged sword.) The sheer number of very unique emotes and the ability to "buy" more and receive them as special rewards was a great deal.

I was just telling someone the other day what XIV really needed was /birthday.

The people behind Tera are obviously putting a lot of time and effort in making your character look and feel like an extension of you. Its sad that the area graphics are not as good as we'd have hoped.

Aion's enviromentals were up and down in my opinion. Some of which were just really nice, but most were average and bland. I saw better and more stirring vistas in XI back in '04.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 184 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast