Closed Thread
Page 103 of 730 FirstFirst ... 53 93 101 102 103 104 105 113 153 ... LastLast
    Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by *Shinzon* View Post
    Soooo question again. Now I'm waiting for someone to get back to me, but I was wondering if anyone here during their reading has come across any workouts designed to prepare people for police or law enforcement exams. I'm also preparing for a firefighters exam at the end of the year, but usually these civil service tests require the same level of fitness. Firefighter's exams are bit tougher though. I've applied to several out of state agencies and it would be difficult to take these exams more than once so I'd like to be as prepared as possible the first time.

Obviously each state is going to have it's own different kind of fitness requirements, but they are generally in the same area in terms of strength, cardio, etc. Again I'm just wondering if anyone has come across workouts that generally prepare people for these tests.
    crossfit

Lyramion's better half
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hopefulki Nozomi
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    Do you know the location of the herniated discs? I have one that still bothers me off and on and it's still keeping me from doing everything I want to. Sometimes I'll feel pain in the gym from twisting someway and I go home afraid I won't be able to walk in the morning.
    My herniated disks were L2-3, L3-4, L4-5, and the bulge was L5-S1.

What kind of workouts are you doing to strengthen your core/lower back/obliques/lower abs? Slow and steady is def. the way to recover and make it so your injury can heal to a point where it's not an issue (though you should never forget you do have one )

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Mine problem is located at L5-S1.... causing odd-severe leg pains at times.

I've been doing different kinds of small core training but I'm really scared to twist much at all doing anything. Running causing irritation on the nerve giving me pain the next day when I should be feeling great. Honestly I could train much harder and I would be much more active if I could correct this issue. I reaallllyyy want to do squats and cleans again but I'm terrified that I wouldn't be able to move. It's been this way for 1.5 years.... my answer to the first year was recliner+FFXI and never move for hours.

Old Merits
    BG Level

@ Shinzon: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/physi...ess-standards/ ?

edit- Was it you who was wondering about ways to train to become a firefighter? I think it was...NYFD right?

Quote Originally Posted by Weiing View Post
    @ Shinzon: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/physi...ess-standards/ ?

edit- Was it you who was wondering about ways to train to become a firefighter? I think it was...NYFD right?
    Yeah, it was me. I've been working towards that but I've also applied to a numerous amount other law enforcement agencies because, well I don't want to be without a job anymore and I've heard the FDNY class might not be as big as they originally thought. The Marksdailyapply article was cool, but what I'm looking for is more of a routine and not so much the requirements? I guess. I now have a membership to my Local Planet fitness as a result of training for the FDNY exam and I'm looking to add some structure to my gym time to prepare for these other tests at the same time. The Planet fitness near me has a section that provides a timed 30 minute full body workout, but I was just curious if anyone had come across other gym routines that helped prepare for the tests specifically.

Lyramion's better half
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hopefulki Nozomi
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    Mine problem is located at L5-S1.... causing odd-severe leg pains at times.

I've been doing different kinds of small core training but I'm really scared to twist much at all doing anything. Running causing irritation on the nerve giving me pain the next day when I should be feeling great. Honestly I could train much harder and I would be much more active if I could correct this issue. I reaallllyyy want to do squats and cleans again but I'm terrified that I wouldn't be able to move. It's been this way for 1.5 years.... my answer to the first year was recliner+FFXI and never move for hours.
    Something I heard from a friend who had an L5-S1 & L4-5 herniated disk, which I wish I had heard earlier, was that Pilates worked wonders for him. I don't know if that's an option for you, but he had amazing results strengthening himself and getting past that pain doing Pilates. I would be careful with the twists, I know I couldn't do twist ab curls or really any twist-motion exercises until I built up.

Some things that helped me (I would check to make sure it will not hurt you, test the waters, as my L5-S1 was only bulged) were leg lifts (hands under lower back), wall squats (use no weight at all to start, and be careful). You can probably do pelvic tilts, though - again - be really careful and if you have pain, STOP. I did a lot of stretching too. Running hurts, how about walking for long distances? I couldn't run for a long time and that helped me.

Getting my back strong enough to do all the things I wanted took a long time, take it slow. Have you tried speaking to a therapist of PT?

Old Merits
    BG Level

Oops. Man do I feel stupid: FDNY not NYFD

Why I linked that post was because I thought to train for a fitness test like that, wouldn't it be better to practice those exercises? It lists a sample of possible requirements (which may vary from yours), but you can probably think of ways to do them. Something like a stair climb would be easy, with a ladder at home or even a stair climber at the gym. I'm not sure what gym workouts could really train you to hull a large, heavy hose on one side of your shoulder and have you run a distance, for instance. Obviously, I guess that's why you're asking, in hopes someone can find similar exercises that mirror the exercises in the fitness test. However, I am assuming the most basic workouts (squats, deadlifts, benches, pull-ups, push-ups, sprints, rowing, stair climbers, etc) can help?

I'm curious now too...hopefully someone with more knowledge can shed some light.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by *Shinzon* View Post
    Yeah, it was me. I've been working towards that but I've also applied to a numerous amount other law enforcement agencies because, well I don't want to be without a job anymore and I've heard the FDNY class might not be as big as they originally thought. The Marksdailyapply article was cool, but what I'm looking for is more of a routine and not so much the requirements? I guess. I now have a membership to my Local Planet fitness as a result of training for the FDNY exam and I'm looking to add some structure to my gym time to prepare for these other tests at the same time. The Planet fitness near me has a section that provides a timed 30 minute full body workout, but I was just curious if anyone had come across other gym routines that helped prepare for the tests specifically.
    The link from wei looks like the regular workout routine should able to let you meets the requirement easily. If you know what they are gonna test, it should easier for BGer to come up with some better suggestion.

So what I can suggest is try to work hard on your stamina, like alternate running and using cardio machine everyday.

Then, for the weight lifting part, I'm believe that once you able to bench for about your body weight, and squat at least your body weight, there isn't much problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Osede View Post
    The link from wei looks like the regular workout routine should able to let you meets the requirement easily. If you know what they are gonna test, it should easier for BGer to come up with some better suggestion.

So what I can suggest is try to work hard on your stamina, like alternate running and using cardio machine everyday.

Then, for the weight lifting part, I'm believe that once you able to bench for about your body weight, and squat at least your body weight, there isn't much problem.
    Ok that kinda makes sense. I'm new to the gym environment so I kinda don't want to go there and have to think about what I need to do, I want to go and just do it. I was just looking for a routine, even basic routine, that could recommend how many sets and reps for a particular exercise would make the most efficient use of my time while proving me with gain. I actually haven't worked my upper body in a long time, I do swim whenever I can though, I used to max at around 190 but I weigh 218 now, so I need to get that up I suppose. Any suggestions for upper body strength building? I'm sure I'll need some lower body work too, but I'm really worried about my upper body/arm strength.

Edit: Just saw Wei's post, kinda like that what I'm talking about with the exercise recommendations.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I see. If you're looking for specific routines for overall strength gains:

Staring Strength
    StrongLifts 5x5
    Bill Starr's 5x5

Most, if not all, of those suggest 3 day split? So the other 2-3 days can do HIIT/sprints/something that can help your stamina, like Osede said. Jog with something heavy around? Maybe even a branch?

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prima...t-plan-basics/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SZC4EftvlQ

edit: also, plyometrics?

I don't know. Perhaps I'm spewing crap. Probably am.

I see. If you're looking for specific routines for overall strength gains:

Staring Strength
    StrongLifts 5x5
    Bill Starr's 5x5

Most, if not all, of those suggest 3 day split? So the other 2-3 days can do HIIT/sprints/something that can help your stamina, like Osede said. Jog with something heavy around? Maybe even a branch?

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prima...t-plan-basics/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SZC4EftvlQ

edit: also, plyometrics?

I don't know. Perhaps I'm spewing crap. Probably am.
    No no, keep going lol! Again I'm new to the gym environment and I want to make everything pay off. I'm looking for anything to help, so by all means if you've got something you think will help

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

It doesn't get any more simple than starting strength.

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    5x3 Power cleans

Read up on the starting strength wiki on proper form for everything(including bench or anything else you think you already know how to do properly) and have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    It doesn't get any more simple than starting strength.

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    5x3 Power cleans

Read up on the starting strength wiki on proper form for everything(including bench or anything else you think you already know how to do properly) and have at it.
    Thanks much

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

No problem, good luck.

I've got some questions about deltoids. I'm looking for some exercises that can increase strength for both the posterior and anterior deltoids. I've been working out regularly each week for the last year, but I always seem to run into problems with them. Every so often, about 3-4 times this past year alone, I manage to strain a deltoid while working out. When I strained it last night I didn't really notice until going to bed a few hours later after I had finished my workout. When I would lay on that side or tried to turn over on my arm it was fairly painful. It has gotten better throughout the day today and doesn't feel so bad anymore, but I'm fed up with this happening and want to prevent it from happening again.

I don't put too much emphasis on strengthening my deltoids when I do work out so that's probably why it happens. So what I'm looking for is some good beginner exercises that I can do to help increase deltoid strength. I've already tried some machines, but I'm also curious about some barbell exercises too because I'd prefer using those.

Standing overhead press is great for anterior delts. I guess rows for rear delts, but power cleans should hit them too (along with traps).

Old Merits
    BG Level

How exactly are you straining your delts? What workouts do you do? For example, this most recent time?

Seconding doing some standing overhead presses. It has quickly become one of my favorite exercises, just make sure you are doing proper form and what not. This explains it pretty well: http://www.real-weight-lifting.com/s...der-press.html

It will hit mainly anterior delts, however it is a whole body exercise that will hit several areas of your body. Thats why you should definitely do it standing instead of sitting down like you might see some doing.

And yea, targeting posterior is pretty much all about the rows.

You guys use this much? http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html I find it so nifty for checking out different things.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zoolander View Post
    You guys use this much? http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html I find it so nifty for checking out different things.
    Love exrx

How exactly are you straining your delts? What workouts do you do? For example, this most recent time?
    Last night I did barbell curls, both overhand and underhand grips, tricep extensions, lat pull downs, and shoulder press. I think the shoulder press might have been what did it, possibly too much weight? I'm not really sure cause I didn't feel any pain or discomfort while I was working out.

And in general I try to do a lot of different workouts to target all the muscle groups. Bench, curls, rows, it's probably easier to name what I don't do. Usually I don't squat or do anything involving my lower body, except back extensions, I don't do any deadlifts or cleans either. When I workout I split up my days usually by chest and lower back, and the off day from that I'll do arms and upper back. Any overall advice would be helpful too because I don't really know too well how to seperate my workouts.