Closed Thread
Page 10 of 730 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 ... LastLast
    Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Some good advice going on here.

The reason to eat eggs and drink milk is because the provide both short and long burning protein (casein and whey). If you're aiming at building mass, try to figure out what you need for calories to maintain, then add 500 or so calories a day or about 3500 a week. That should add about a pound of body mass a week. I'd post the formula for this, but it's in my book at work.

I tend to drink or eat some lean protein before bed just like mentioned above so that my body doesn't try to convert muscle into energy while I sleep.

I think people get overly afraid about muscle catabolism overnight, but that doesn't stop people (myself included) from having a casein supplement before bed.

I really like Optimum Nutrition's casein with milk before bed, it definitely keeps me from feeling quite as hungry when I wake up, but it can get a bit pricey. For people looking for a cheap way to get Casein, the protein in lowfat cottage cheese is about 80% casein, so a serving of that (with maybe some cinnamon & honey) before bed would be a nice cheap alternative, although I tend to think that it comes out to about the same price per day.

edit: oh and in case anyone is asking what casein is, from wiki:
    An attractive property of the casein micelle is its ability to form a gel or clot in the stomach[2]. The ability to form this clot makes it very efficient in nutrient supply. The clot is able to provide a sustained slow release of amino acids into the blood stream, sometimes lasting for several hours[3]. This provides better nitrogen retention and utilization by the body.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

I use mainly Optimum Nutrition brand too. Pro Complex, Whey, Recovery 2:1:1, vitamins, anti oxidents, aminos. I do eat a lot of eggs too, but mostly just hard boiled egg whites. Depending on the time and the situation is what I drink for the protein shakes instead of just counting on one.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

hard boiled egg whites are sex. i totally forgot what the cholesterol taste like lol. i was at a party last week and even when she served devil eggs, i still went to the sink to rinse em out and eat out the whites lol

as for me, i WAS doing more weight/less reps, but im already big. i need to cut up whatever i have available. everything else seems to be doing ok, but i cant get my biceps the way i want, unless i actually flex from a different angle. they usually look like this:
    http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/1967/picture1424.jpg
    dont mind the quality. low lit dirty bathroom/crappy cell phone pic/mirror stains lol. i was blessed to be born with a big body so i dont really need 3k cals to maintain my size, but i REALLY want it to be more consistent even when i get passed 30 years old. (22 now)
    im a pushup FIEND, and im doing curls approx 3 times a week with 3 reps of 25, and im still not seeing shit. im SO tempted to take my 1st vitamin or shake...

but i REALLY want to go the all natural route. but every guy i talk to who's bigger than me has talked about the supplements they've taken and they seem to be doing good with it. i really dont want to, but i might start doing it soon.

another thing ive been doing a lot of is cardio lol. i run a lot, but im no Tyche. but i hardly think that would effect my bicep growth that much, can it? even if it does, i still need to do cardio i got love handles to strip!

those biceps are pretty crazy lol

but uh... you sound confused, you can either get cut up/defined, or you can keep growing your biceps/other muscles. Are you looking to drop fat, or continue to gain muscle? Cuz you can't really do both at the same time.

and a multi-vitamin and a good fish oil supplement is just good to take even if you're not exercising/lifting at all, I mean even my aunt takes them. I'm about to go from 1800mg of Omega 3s a day to 2700, lol

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

well, i want MORE biceps lol. specifically that. im benching about 375 now and im doing ok with my tri's and whatnot, but my biceps are just.. idk. lacking imo lol. even my dad has bigger biceps than me lol ;; i feel like im not using it as much as im supposed to with my other workouts, so i really dont know how to go about making up for it, lol. i dont want to get too big and look like those jersey shore assholes, but i dont want puny ass biceps either lol. im trying to just make my biceps bigger, but my other parts of my arm, more cut up. im guessing.. i cant do that after i read what you wrote though lol

dont know really how to explain ;(

and i eat plenty of omega 3. i crush walnuts into my salads almost every day for lunch. its approx 1 oz, 5-6 days a week, and it can compare with salmon on the amount it provides (salmon is still king though, i think). but i can look into those pills anway

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by richardd View Post
    i cant get my biceps the way i want

...im doing curls approx 3 times a week with 3 reps of 25
    No. Bad Richardd. Sets of 25? Way too light.

Lift heavier weights, lower reps. Start with something can do between 8-10 reps of in each arm, rest, up the weight 5 pounds, rep til failure, rest, up the weight 5 pounds, rep til failure.

Then do preacher curls or something else. If you want to get big, lift heavy weights.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post

Lift heavier weights, lower reps. Start with something can do between 8-10 reps of in each arm, rest, up the weight 5 pounds, rep til failure, rest, up the weight 5 pounds, rep til failure.

Then do preacher curls or something else. If you want to get big, lift heavy weights.
    ok lol

i hate it when people give me wrong advice in the gym man... lol

my fault anyways, i need to do the research. i blame my laziness

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I agree. I do 10 heavy reps, and then max out.

BG Level

Sometimes I mix it up and do a reverse pyramid for biceps, no resting.

I'll pick up the 45s, rep til failure, move to the 40s, the 35s, the 30s and keep repping as fast as I can til I can't lift anymore.

It's really funny when you get down to the 20's and you're flying through reps and then you just...can't...lift...another...weight. And you look down and it's twenty fucking pounds. Heh.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post

^

Start at a good weight you can do, but not terribly easy. Let's say 25

25 - 8 times
    30 - 5 times
    35 - 6 times
    30 - 12 times

You should barely be able to finish your last set of 12.

This is what I've been doing for about a month, and I've gone from 135 to 140. You can pretty easily tell it's 90% muscle weight, too.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

i did some preacher curls this morning before work, but this time, as a reverse pyramid. i think im going to start with less weight next time... i started with a lot and by the time i did my 2nd drop down, i felt like i wanted to kill myself lol... so i skipped way more than 5

but its really effective. my arms are killing me right now, but i need to do it until i can get better lol. i feel like such a weakling <_>; there are smaller people doing almost the same amount i am, but its all good. we're all on the same team at the end of the day anyways lol

thanks arch. im willing to bet some of these bigger guys in my gym would have problems with these like i did too lol. at least im doing something about it now, and doing it right the 1st time. im not speeding through it

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I've seen guys at races with pretty bulk upper bodies that are relatively good runners. I don't know if that translates to actual strength or not, and I certainly don't know how serious their bulking or cardio routine is, much less their diet. My biceps are 10 1/2 inches completely flexed, so I'm not one to give bulking advice.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

im still big lol, so im sluggish as hell. im not afraid to admit it lol. but im trying to change that eventually. i know i wont get to your lvl, but just to be in the same league as you, would be good enough for me.

i hope other ppl open up about the improvements/question/pics they have.

i met a guy at work who SWEARS on eating 2 spoons of peanut butter and olive oil every day for lunch. gross as hell, but apparently he uses it to bulk up and the man is a fucking beast lol. he said it was a secret of the body builders over in broward county.

i dont think ill be doing that though....

do you eat any peanut butter at all? it's a pretty easy way to get calories with nice ratio of protein/fat/carbs. I probably have about 4 tbsp per day lol

There are some really great (and cheap) natural peanut butter brands out there. Rule of thumb for PB is less than 4 ingredients = good. Trader Joe's natural PB is one of the best there is.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by richardd View Post
    was a secret of the body builders over in broward county.
    haha like broward is the mecca of huegness

its not a secret that eating something thats like 100calories/tablespoon will make you gain weight lol

BG Level

I can't wait til I do this marathon next month so I can start lifting again. I miss it so much, and somehow I put on like 10 pounds during my marathon training.

Marathons are fucking stupid.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Honestly, most of those powders are just corn starch with flavoring. I would suggest staying the natural route, even if you don't necessarily get huge. I'm not bulky at all. In fact I'm very skinny. But I choose not to bulk up because for me its just added weight (I'm a cyclist). However, I target certain muscle groups and work at them appropriately and it works wonders. Too many guys assume getting bigger means being stronger, when in fact I'm about 50% lighter than them but my max bench is only about 10 pounds less than theirs.

I would rather stay lean but get 100% out of each pound of body weight compared to about 70% and be huge.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by sephir View Post
    Honestly, most of those powders are just corn starch with flavoring.
    lol

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by ozz View Post
    haha like broward is the mecca of huegness

its not a secret that eating something thats like 100calories/tablespoon will make you gain weight lol
    yeah, i was like "?!" to broward too lol. you dont see too many jersey shore fag tourists over in Coral Springs lol

but i dont really eat too much peanut butter... i was already huge after my car accident lol. i gained a lot of weight and am still in the process of losing it, but i just used that gain to further my workouts and strip off the fat and cut up

the advice on this board was great, so i always periodically check back and see to see how everyone else is doing

archi, you better post some before/afters, when the marathon is over, beeyatch

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 730 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 ... LastLast