Page 9 of 730 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast
    Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Stumblingdrunk View Post
    I like to stay away from artificial sweeteners, but if thats what it takes you to stay hydrated, then by all means, go for it. Adding crystal light will not effect your hydration in any negative way. Staying hydrated is very important. I like to drink green tea, it has more flavor than water, but no extra calories. If you don't dislike green tea, try brewing large quantities of tea and refrigerating it so you can drink it throughout the day without having to make tea constantly. But to answer your question, adding flavor to your water will not affect your body's ability to absorb the fluids.
    Kinda curious, but isnt tea like beer (drink one, piss two)? I figured it would have been bad for hydration

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I was wondering if anyone could suggest an exercise routine for a terribly overweight guy who wants to stop being the fat kid of his group. 6'3 and 300 pounds (yup it's bad).

I'm not sure if I should be focusing strictly on cardio exercises or if any weight training should be involved.

Since my fridge is now stocked with water and not soda+beer I'm getting fairly serious and hope the BG guru's can lend a hand.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Tekoa View Post
    I was wondering if anyone could suggest an exercise routine for a terribly overweight guy who wants to stop being the fat kid of his group. 6'3 and 300 pounds (yup it's bad).

I'm not sure if I should be focusing strictly on cardio exercises or if any weight training should be involved.

Since my fridge is now stocked with water and not soda+beer I'm getting fairly serious and hope the BG guru's can lend a hand.
    I recommend both. I do on avg. 5 days cardio and 3 days weight-training, with at least 1 day of rest between weight training.

I started in early Dec. '09 I'm 6'2 and was 464 lbs. down to as of now 442 lbs. Running/jogging is good like alot of folks here talk about but its very stressful on joints especially heavier people.

For cardio I recommend to start out with walking. I find treadmills boring so I go outside. Because of my job and hrs I am able to go walking while @ work. I go 5 times a week 30-40 mins each time. I usually walk with co-workers/friends or listen to my Zune if I am alone. Also its important to get good shoes. I got wide flat feet so New Balance brand is great for me. Everyones feet are different but a good pair of comfortable shoes goes a long way.

As for weights I'm a newbie. The trainner I am seeing started me on a high rep, low weight count. Not sure the correct term is but since I am a newb, I dont do the free-weights I do the machine-assisted style weights. 15-20 reps each excercise 3 times. This helps with developing form and having your arms/legs get used to lifting weight. When I can easily do 20 reps x 3. I move on to the next tier of weight.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia View Post
    Kinda curious, but isnt tea like beer (drink one, piss two)? I figured it would have been bad for hydration
    Yes and no. Tea does contain caffeine and caffeine is generally accepted as a diuretic(it will increase your urine output) but much less so than alcohol.

One average figure I’ve seen is that green tea contains about 20 mg of caffeine. This is half of what black tea contains and about a quarter the caffeine content of your average cup of coffee. But as I said, these are averages, and there is significant deviation from the mean.
    apparently the amount of caffeine can be altered greatly depending on exactly how the tea is brewed, but generally the amount of caffeine in green tea is nothing to worry about in regards to dehydration, and there's always decaf. The benefits from drinking green tea greatly outweigh the potential negatives from caffeine in my opinion however, as it does offer a few benefits that plain water does not.

I have even seen coffee recommended as a decent pre-run drink just for the caffeine boost, so keep in mind that caffeine is a very mild diuretic, nothing at all comparable to alcohol.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Alcohol inhibits the release of ADH (Anti-Diuretic hormone), couple that with the fact that alcohol itself is a diuretic, much more urine leaves the body. This is why you might feel dehydrated after drinking too much.

While tea is also a diuretic, I don't think it inhibits production of ADH.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    Alcohol inhibits the release of ADH (Anti-Diuretic hormone)
    I was completely unaware of this.

Tyven's Xbax Fren
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Korgath

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    There's just too many people working out right now. I hate this this time of year. GTFO off my treadmill fatty. I've ran on that one for the past 8 months.
    Exactly my sentiments in my Les Mills Bodypump class...can't even get all the weights I need!

Stupid new years resolvers. You're going to quit in February anyway, so just save yourself $35 and stay home!

Why I generally start my New Years Resolution, if I ever have one, in February.

Sanoske

Ba-dump.

Diet question.

For those BGers who are more into the heavy weight lifting, rather than cardio... what does your diet look like? Diet is always my weak point, and as a working college student my schedule does not allow the type of strict eating regiment that hardcore people suggest. I never worried about ratio of carbs/fat/protein, although I try to get about ~160g of protein a day (I'm 5'8" and weigh 158.).

I am always low on calories, but here is what I try to do.

Breakfast: ~9am. Usually between 350-450 calories. Varies between Kashi cereal, Egg Beaters/Whole Eggs (cheese and/or ham), yogurt and milk.

Lunch: ~Noon. Usually between 450-600 calories. PB and honey on whole grain bread is a favorite. Otherwise another sandwich type deal is usually all I have access to.

After this it's a toss up. I try to eat every 3 hours, which would mean again at 4pm and 7pm. I keep a stock of canned tuna/salmon, and there's usually chicken or turkey leftovers in the house or something.

However, even including my post-workout protein shake (300 cal, 60 g protein) I usually only hit about 1800-2000 calories, and its usually at the end of the day when I realize I havent eaten enough. Any tips on how to get the calories in there? How often, how much do people usually eat? I was aiming for about 2500 calories a day, but it's harder than it seems when I'm trying not to eat garbage.

GATTACA!

BG Level

You didn't mention it but are you also eating around 10 PM and possibly something small a little bit later maybe 45 mins before you go to sleep?

All I can think of is to throw in a Myoplex or other type of protein shake. I found that throwing a glob of peanut butter into it makes it taste decent(I drink the Chocolate Cream myoplex) and that's a lot of calories/protein when you add up the shake/PB/milk. Although it requires a blender because a shaker bottle won't mix the PB good enough.

if you're heavy lifting and expecting to make significant progress, you need to eat a lot more than 2500 calories. At minimum aim for 3000, but it's not uncommon for people to go for 3500-4000 or more. So so so many people eat less than 3k and end up wondering why they aren't seeing any muscle gains, or wonder why their lifts are stalling out, all because they're afraid to eat too many calories/get fat and end up cutting into their progress.

If you're serious about lifting then you should really just eat as much as possible, and not worry about the fat gain (which is inevitable to some degree during a bulk, no matter what anyone's told you), to make sure your muscles have enough fuel to recover. 1-1.5g of protein per lb. of body weight, then fill out the rest with a nice mix of fats/carbs. Peanut butter is your friend. Hell, you can even get away with cheeseburgers if you really want one.

These days I don't eat any white carbs/processed sugar at all, but still manage around 3.5k a day. Lots of chicken, sweet potato, peanut butter, nuts, egg whites, oatmeal, milk. I try to stick to 3 scoops of protein powder in a day and get the rest of my calories from real food.

Your breakfast and lunch look pretty solid to start. I'd definitely try to add some calories to breakfast though, in addition to eggs I usually have a shake with banana, chocolate protein powder, milk, and peanut butter.

[2012: Year of the Whore]
    BG Level

Just curious, how do you eat your eggs? I find fried egg whites, fried eggs as a whole, boiled eggs, poached eggs, etc. to be extremely vile.

The only way I can even eat eggs is scrambled.. with fat free cheese, fat free milk, and a ton of ketchup.

I make matzoh brei, which is this traditional jewish american breakfast, basically it's just scrambled eggs with matzoh in it.

Usually I'll have 1 yolk and 4-5 whites so I get the yolk taste without all the cholesterol, then 1 sheet of whole wheat matzoh broken up in there, then scrambled. I normally LOVE eggs with ketchup, but I got sick of it after a while so I normally just have it with some tabasco sauce.

But yea, lots of late nights at waffle house have made scrambled eggs with cheese and ketchup my absolute favorite, too.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jak View Post
    Just curious, how do you eat your eggs? I find fried egg whites, fried eggs as a whole, boiled eggs, poached eggs, etc. to be extremely vile.

The only way I can even eat eggs is scrambled.. with fat free cheese, fat free milk, and a ton of ketchup.
    I usually eat 4 large scrambled eggs every morning, I mix skim milk, garlic powder, red pepper, Louisiana hot sauce, and a little vegetable oil in with the scrambled yolk, gives them some taste.

4 egg yolks makes my arteries feel tighter just thinking about it lol

GATTACA!

BG Level

Yeah... I've been meaning to get a blood test to make sure my cholesterol isn't shooting up

[2012: Year of the Whore]
    BG Level

I read somewhere that egg yolks aren't as bad as they were once thought to be (for yo' arteries, I guess). Any truth to that?

I mean, it's not like it'd help my family who tend to eat 5-6 large eggs a day for breakfast.. along with 5-6 pancakes, 10~ fried bacon pieces, and a few beers. >_> Okay, well maybe egg yolks is the least of their problems but yah..

Only curious because I actually like the taste of scrambled eggs more with yolk included (which is why I add 1 yolk per 4~ egg whites).

I've always been told it's ~200mg of cholesterol for 1 yolk, and your RDI is 300mg. I've read one study about how you don't apparently absorb all of that, but I wouldn't risk eating a huge amount of them on a daily basis.

Personally I don't really eat a lot of cheese or much else that has a lot of cholesterol, but egg whites are so good for you it's hard to overdo it, and at this point I'm used to 1 yolk/4-6 whites.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Is there nutritional value in the yolk?

Egg White Egg Yolk
    Calories 17 59
    Fat (g) .06 4.51
    Saturated Fat (g) 0 1.6
    Carbs (g) .24 .61
    Protein (g) 3.6 2.7
    Cholesterol (mg) 0 210
    Sodium (mg) 55 8
    Calcium (mg) 2.3 21.9
    Vitamin D (IU) 0 18
    Folate (mcg) 1.3 24.8
    the yolk pretty much has all of the fat, and half of the protein of the whole egg. Having say, 2 yolks and 5-6 whites would give you as much protein as 4 whole eggs, with half the fat/cholesterol (and about 100 or so less calories)

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 730 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast