Closed Thread
Page 3 of 730 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Also, you have stupid body-image issues. Stay away from a scale for the next couple months. Get back to a normal 2000-2500 calorie diet. Stop looking in the mirror, just turn your brain off for a bit regarding your body. Play FFXI, disappear, whatever - just stop thinking about it and lift. Learn to enjoy the muscle soreness, let that be what you focus on. In a few months, (like 3+) see where you're at. Your mental process is harmful to you, turn it off.

muscle soreness is not always indicative of progress!

also muscle milk is convenient but you can get better macronutrient ratios from other products. regardless, don't buy it from GNC lol

edit: it wouldn't be a BG fitness topic if Tyche didn't bring up running regardless of how much/little it has to do with the OP's question

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
    also muscle milk is convenient but you can get better macronutrient ratios from other products.
    Agreed 100%, if money wasn't an issue I'd get the LaBrada line of powder, but Muscle Milk is $20/tub on special at 24-hour fitness once a month or so, so I stock up - it's just too cheap not to.

I've been ordering my supplements from Bodybuilding.com a lot recently, their prices are pretty good for Optimum Nutrition stuff and they carry most of the other stuff I take (besides Fish Oil, which I still get at GNC because I'm too lazy to find another brand that has it in Triple Strength)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

A little off topic here what are some good supplements to take while losing weight? So far I've been taking potassium ,B12, niacin,fiber, and a multivitamin. Also I do a half serving of a whey protein shake before my work outs.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

I've been ordering my supplements from Bodybuilding.com a lot recently, their prices are pretty good for Optimum Nutrition stuff and they carry most of the other stuff I take (besides Fish Oil, which I still get at GNC because I'm too lazy to find another brand that has it in Triple Strength)
    Taken from my quote on first page:
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiyuo View Post
    Lastly, for your protein needs depending on whether you want to use Whey, Casein or both. Casein's generally used to prevent muscle atrophy as it's processed by the body much slower. An example would be while you sleep, a Casein protein shake can keep your body from snacking on the protein stored in your muscles for fuel. Whey is absorbed much quicker, which as you can see has ups and downs.

I personally prefer this brand among everything I've tried as very affordable, well-reviewed for quality and actually tasting "good" as opposed to tolerable: Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein | Optimum Nutrition Protein Shake

I use this line and have so far tried Vanilla Ice Cream and Double Rich Chocolate and am totally satisfied taking it with mixed with either water or milk: http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/optim...in_gold_st.htm

As I said, this is just my opinion and things I've learned, but may very well be totally ass-backwards, so good luck!
    I use that site and alternate between allstar and bodybuilding.com for the best prices on the ON. Allstar's shipping is generally cheaper if you buy all at once, but they don't give discount's like BB. Once in awhile I'll get a 15% off for not returning often. lol

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Forget this high-rep shit. For each exercise, pick a weight you can do less than 10 times in a row. Do that 8 times or whatever, up the weight, do as many as you can (like 5), up the weight, do as many as you can (2-3), move on. If you want muscle (and you do) you need to lift heavy weight for your strength level. After you finish working out, eat. If you can find suitable protein sources do that, but regardless eat something.
    He didn't say he wanted big muscles. If he does then fine, but don't go pushing that on people because YOU think it's the best solution. If he wants that specifically, he can ask for it.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jicent View Post
    A little off topic here what are some good supplements to take while losing weight? So far I've been taking potassium ,B12, niacin,fiber, and a multivitamin. Also I do a half serving of a whey protein shake before my work outs.
    I bought these awhile ago:

Bodybuilding.com - VPX Meltdown - Z-14 IPHORIC On sale now!

And have liked them. Definitely nothing amazing but a nice add on.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

muscle soreness is not always indicative of progress!

also muscle milk is convenient but you can get better macronutrient ratios from other products. regardless, don't buy it from GNC lol

edit: it wouldn't be a BG fitness topic if Tyche didn't bring up running regardless of how much/little it has to do with the OP's question
    Read the last sentence of his OP smartass.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by OzzofAsura View Post
    He didn't say he wanted big muscles. If he does then fine, but don't go pushing that on people because YOU think it's the best solution. If he wants that specifically, he can ask for it.
    but big muscles has almost nothing to do with reps\weights as much as it does to do with nutrition. Any rep scheme would work for him as long as he's adequately fatiguing the muscles.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jak View Post
    I'm tired of being the "anorexic" fatty underneath it all lol..
    This is what I was focusing on. The guy clearly wants more muscle, and with all his loose skin, he doesn't need to "tone" - he needs some bulk at 6'0 150.

Also, my aside about how running sucks was completely independent of the OP. It just sucks, that's all.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

If you just started, it gets easier and beginners can make larger gains in endurance more quickly.

I burned at my marathon today. Knee swelled up 18 miles, old injury rehash. Shame too, was making good time.

BG Level

My long run so far is 9 miles but I was slow - I did a 8 miler at a 9:20 pace last week, but my 9 miler was like 10:25 or something terrible. Right knee blew up after the 9 miler though (that was on tuesday) so I'm taking it easy - marathon isn't til March.

I'm just running this thing out of spite, running sucks but I hated how everyone on facebook this year and their fucking mother ran a marathon. Three months ago I'd never ran more than 3 miles in my life. If I can finish under a 10 min mile (4:22 marathon) I'll be happy.

What was your final time Tyche? What's your PR? And how fast was your first marathon?

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Final time yesterday was 3 hour, 40 minutes. I ran the first half (13.1) in 1 hour, 30 minutes. I was on pace for a 3 hour marathon through 18 miles. At around 10 miles, my knee started to get tight, but I thought I could push through it. At about 18 miles, I had to hit the medical tent because it felt like someone was twisting a clamp into the side of my knee. I hobbled the last 8, literally skipping to the finish line.

PRs:
    5k - 18:26
    10K - 39:01
    Half marathon - 1:25:56
    Full marathon - 3:29:52 (over a year ago)
    1st marathon - over four hours (run your first casually, just finish)

Easiest way to accomplish what you wish to accomplish is to simply build up mileage slowly. I wouldn't do any speed work (tempo or interval), despite what some of your friends or training programs may say. Just slowly build your long run up to 18-20 miles at a comfortable pace, AT LEAST 1 minute slower than your goal pace, so that means 11+ minute miles on the long runs. It sounds stupid, but you have to train slower to run faster. My fastest long runs in training are about 7:50/mile. My half marathon pace is 6:30ish/mi. Run at least 3 times a week, with one being your long run. Never run fast enough to physically exhaust and tax yourself. Base building and endurance training shouldn't make you feel like shit after your runs. Your knee problem is probably an overuse injury, take it slow at the beginning and let your body adjust slowly. Don't go over a 10% increase in total miles from one week to another. Don't bump your long run more than a mile or two one week to another.

[2012: Year of the Whore]
    BG Level

Well, wish me luck! I decided it's time I lay down the law on my own physique and do something about it. I just ordered (didn't want to download it) the whole P90X program. I already have the dumbells .. and I'm pretty sure my bowflex doubles as a chin-up tool (if not I have one I bought from wal-mart). If I weren't so embarassed by how my body looks I'd post pics publically.. to show how it's going.. but for now I'm just going to privately compile pictures until I'm feeling better and have a higher self-esteem.

Thanks again for all the advice. Now if you will excuse me I have to go back to planning how to eat 3000+ calories. D:

iron gym is a nice pullup bar that won't leave marks in your walls. You can get them for 20 bucks or so at walgreens/target/bed&bath or any place that sells 'as seen on tv' crap. Just don't make the mistake of substituting lat pulldowns on the bowflex for pullups.

Eating 3000 healthy calories is surprisingly easy, especially if you consume a lot of milk and peanut butter.

BG Level

Actually it IS sort of using those pulldown things but.. while it's docked in place. It's the same height as what my Iron Man whatever is (Thats the one I bought for 20 bucks) when in place and makes for easy chinups .. I did eight before I was like "fuuuuuck". The only thing is.. I can't actually put my chin over it physically.. just pull myself up over it. Is that the same thing? I mean I'm pulling my whole body up over it so I don't see why not.

And yah, you know.. I always strayed from Peanut Butter and Milk even though I ove them both.. but EVERYONE seems to think they are good so I have no complaints. All natural peanut butter and skim milk ftw. (I can't drink whole milk.. makes me vomit among other things).

Edit: It's still sinking in.. but I'm REALLY going to have to eat over 3000+ calories a day, aren't I? Everything I've "taught" myself in the last year about losing weight is going to the porcelain potty hole.

Banned.

BG Level

that's what supplements are for, a good powder will go a long way.

BG Level

Not bothering with a new thread, bumping my old one..

I started the p90x workout today.. and Jesus Bruce Almighty.

I know they say it's normal but I never realized how hard doing more than 15 pushups and a few pullups are. But an hours worth? I only did about 30 minutes worth but my whole upper body is so .. stiff I guess? My muscles refused to do anymore, lol.

For anyone else who has used this program.. how long did it take before you were able to do the full 50~ minutes of the upper body workout? Just curious.. And also, side note.. never eat jalapeños an hour before you workout. You feel it. Bad. Baaaad.

Edit: does sweating = this program working? I never sweat.. I sweat on this and it felt like I did nothing!

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Hmmm. So what is BG fitnesses advice for getting rid of the "sit-gut". Basically thats a gut that only seems to appear when I sit down. I workout 5 days a week for close to an hour, mostly doing intense cardio (Cycling, Running, Rowing). I've been doing this since May and yet the only difference (and the one I was hoping to achieve) was an increase in overall endurance - since I compete in Bicycle races.
    The other workout I've done has been in the weight room, but this has mostly been targeted to my legs and core because I do not want to gain weight unnecessarily (heavier cyclist = more resistance) and instead want to simply strength train. I eat very healthy, usually eating a small sandwich for breakfast and a fruit bowl for lunch and usually lean meat with some veggies and rice for dinner.

Honestly I can't see what changes I can really make to make the sit gut go away, any suggestions?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 730 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast