Closed Thread
Page 91 of 730 FirstFirst ... 41 81 89 90 91 92 93 101 141 ... LastLast
    D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

ezekiel bread huh? i will have to try that

and yeah, that starch thing is really helpful on workout days, ugh. i cant tell you how much more energy i have even after im done lifting thanks to that.

also, i got some no xplode creatine now, so i can start getting veins like you, art! my dad brought home some whey yesterday from biochem and its a bit too sweet for my liking. (vanilla) but its not too bad for 20'gs of protein. ill still stick with ON though. they are on point with that chocolate fudge

if you want to take creatine, just stick to something simple with only creatine as the ingredient. I take it with apple or grape juice, you can use kool aid instead, and it's just as good as the expensive crap like cell tech. There's no reason to pay a lot for creatine-- even GNC's own brand of plain powdered creatine monohydrate costs $6 or 7.

And ezekiel bread is great. I love the kind with the sesame seeds on the crust.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I tried liking hemp bread...but it's too bleh. Ezekiel and Alvarado Street bread for me, when I have them.

Quote Originally Posted by *Shinzon* View Post
    Just to clarify it's whole wheat white. Kinda one of those hybrid mixtures. But thanks for the suggestions.
    Yeah what Shojin said, whole wheat white isn't much better for you than plain old white bread, often it IS just white bread but with a tiny bit of whole wheat thrown in there to trick health-conscious consumers.

Ideally when you look at the ingredients for your bread the first word you see should be "whole", otherwise you're probably eating a shitty bread loaded with bleached flour and tons of processed crap/chemicals.

One slice here and there won't kill you, but staying away from white carbs is an easy way to cut calories and it will most likely make a difference on your metabolism. For me, I'm not gluten intolerant but when I eat products containing white flour I get very drowsy with dry-feeling heavy eyelids, whereas whole wheat/ezekiel bread gives me tons of energy.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by richardd View Post
    ezekiel bread huh? i will have to try that

and yeah, that starch thing is really helpful on workout days, ugh. i cant tell you how much more energy i have even after im done lifting thanks to that.

also, i got some no xplode creatine now, so i can start getting veins like you, art! my dad brought home some whey yesterday from biochem and its a bit too sweet for my liking. (vanilla) but its not too bad for 20'gs of protein. ill still stick with ON though. they are on point with that chocolate fudge
    thing about those no-xplode and shit is some people react really really really well from it or not at all.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by richardd View Post
    ok galka

its time i started to actually try to compete with you!!!

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6783/photo1096.jpg
    Need to step your incline game up, cut out the flat bench and shit. long arms and strong shoulders means less chest stimulation

Old Merits
    BG Level

talking about stronglifts/starting strength, I started looking into these programs and other ones. I wanted your opinions what would be better. Those or Bill Star 5x5.

Monday – Heavy Day
    Squat – 5 sets of 5
    Bench – 5 sets of 5
    Barbell Row or Powerclean – 5 sets of 5
    Weighted hyperextensions - 2 sets
    Weighted sit-ups - 4 sets

Wednesday – Light Day
    Squat – 4 sets of 5
    Incline Bench or Overhead Press – 4 sets of 5
    Deadlift – 4 sets of 5
    Sit-ups - 3 sets

Friday - Medium
    Squat – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8
    Bench – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8
    Barbell Row or Powerclean– 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8 for rows
    Weighted Dips - 3 sets of 5-8
    Triceps Extension and Biceps Curl - 3 sets of 8 each (Omitting these.............)

I'm probably going to do power cleans in lieu of barbell rows.

My current goal is to maintain/increase my strength for now, until October. Do you think this would help me increase my strength/lifts moreso than SL or SS? Thing with SL or SS is that I have to start light at the beginning. I don't want to look like a pansy for 3-4 weeks. haha. But this program also doesn't have chin-ups/pull-ups, which I want to work on, too... Ugh.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Bill Starr's 5x5 an advanced novice/intermediate program? If you're trying to start from scratch I would definitly go with Starting Strength (or Stronglifts, but since you wanted to do power cleans SS would be for you)-- the problem with Bill Starr's is that the progression is linear, but slow enough that an intermediate lifter who can't see huge gains every time they lift will still be able to make progress.

Did you see a spreadsheet with that program? If you plug in your 1RMs and keep them somewhat low (around 100-150 lbs) you'll see what I'm talking about. Starting Strength has you adding 15-30 lbs a week to your squat, Bill Starr's would take something like a month to add that much weight because 30 lbs is a lot to add when you're already squatting 300+, but not when you're just starting out. Basically the program you posted only really shines when you start moving a lot of weight.

Since you want to do power cleans and your primary goal is strength you should probably go with Starting Strength. You might have to start low but chances are you'll add weight faster on SS than SL, since it's less sets. Don't let the simplicity fool you, it will be kicking your ass in no time.

Old Merits
    BG Level

The simplicity/minimal exercises don't fool me, as I can see it means srs business.

What I'm wondering is, I'm not necessarily a "beginner" or a "novice". Or am I? Maybe I'm too conceited to admit that I'm still a novice? Don't get me wrong, I don't think I'm experienced/advanced by any means. I was thinking more like a tail-end novice at least? I understand Starting Strength can be for people at any level, in a way.

Guess it just means, if I have to subtract 60-90lbs at the start, I have to go back to 60-80lb squats/deadlifts for a few weeks. WEAK

Oh well, I'm sure it's a good program and I'll try it out. Thanks for your expertise, Atreides.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meat View Post
    thing about those no-xplode and shit is some people react really really really well from it or not at all.
    I think we've talked about this before, but I've also experienced completely different sets of pump/energy/poopin/amihavingaheartattack/nada from different brands as well. Superpump was the safest for me assuming it actually did anything on occasion

pretty much everyone who posts here (myself included) is a novice, with the exception of residue, and I doubt he'd consider himself anything past intermediate.

I guess it's experience (serious bodybuilding experience, not 'i used to play sports in high school and the coach had me lift a weight or two') and how much you can lift that determines when you get past that stage, but chances are you'll know when it happens. "Advanced" bodybuilders are those huge dudes who have been lifting for years, who take pride in the nastyness of their own protein farts and spend all day at the gym and scare chinese people when they roll up to the Peking Buffet.

And yeah, the progression in SS is VERY fast as long as you're eating right. You can add 15-20 lbs every time you deadlift, 10-15 lbs every time you squat, and 5-10 lbs on the upper body lifts every single time you go to the gym for the first few weeks, then you can still add 10 to deadlifts/squats and 5 to the upper body lifts until you start to stall out (which is inevitable). So just look at starting low as an opportunity to practice your form, you'll be back to heavy weights in no time.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Thanks for the reassurance. Guess it never hurts to start back at (close to) square 1 to rework my form and such.

Yeah, I am, by no means, that delusional. They way you describe novice, though, makes more sense. Just whenever I hear "beginner", I'm thinking total/ultra noob. But novice, the way you describe, is understandable and I'm more able to swallow that.

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Weiing View Post
    I'm more able to swallow that.
    That's what she said.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    That's what she said.
    zinger!

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

naw, really tho.

the creatine was ok lol. my dad got it for free. i liked it. i know its not gonna make me magically lift 30 lbs heavier or anything. but it did allow me to tolerate the pain a lot more than i thought i could have. i had more energy than i normally would have especially since i was light on carbs from grocery shopping laziness syndrome

are you sure it's creatine and not a NO Supplement? I think BSN's Nitric Oxide supplement is the only thing called NO Xplode, their creatine is actually called Cell Mass. NO Xplode does include a form of creatine in addition to the normal L-Arginine and caffeine/stimulant, but it's not really the same thing as a creatine supplement.

OH and Weiing I totally forgot to mention the other day, at Trader Joes now they have Maple Flavored Agave Nectar for pancakes/waffles. I almost bought some, but I didn't feel like making pancakes so eh. I did buy some Jasmine Brown Rice, which I had never seen before either.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
    are you sure it's creatine and not a NO Supplement? I think BSN's Nitric Oxide supplement is the only thing called NO Xplode, their creatine is actually called Cell Mass. NO Xplode does include a form of creatine in addition to the normal L-Arginine and caffeine/stimulant, but it's not really the same thing as a creatine supplement.

OH and Weiing I totally forgot to mention the other day, at Trader Joes now they have Maple Flavored Agave Nectar for pancakes/waffles. I almost bought some, but I didn't feel like making pancakes so eh. I did buy some Jasmine Brown Rice, which I had never seen before either.
    the only pills i take are the multivitamins and fish oil.

here, too lazy to find it on the interwebs:

my dad says he couldnt feel shit

he's easily qualified as an "advanced" lifter. he's been lifting for about 10 years, and went from 120's to 220's, but stopped about 2 years ago and just trains rich people in boca. and he's still as big as res and me with a lower fat mass, and he's def not new to supplements. maybe his tolerance lvl is already ok for it? he takes his own stuff already, but i told him to try it just once

fuckin a. it was a supplement hahaha

dammit man. the girls my dad trains gives him shit like this for free instead of having them throw this out lol. i need to go buy this shit myself, ugh. i feel like such a jew

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

that picture reminds me of the south park episode where stan's dad gets testicular cancer from putting his balls in the microwave and uses them as a bounce-ball lol sorry for the image.

with that said, if your dad has a high tolerance to caffeine it may or may not affect his ability to reap the benefits from NO products, but that's just a guess. I know most if not all of them advise that you take a month off every 3 or so months or you end up having to take more and more over time. I think my brother was up to 3 scoops whereas I usually took about a half, but only drink coffee maybe once a week lol there's obviously other ingredients so it wouldn't completely snuff out a pump, but they also recommend taking it on an empty stomach which may be a factor as well.

Ideally you'd be able to get some samples of the different brands from GNC or Vitamin Shoppe, but I'm not sure if any samples are available from any of the brands.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Caiyuo View Post
    that picture reminds me of the south park episode where stan's dad gets testicular cancer from putting his balls in the microwave and uses them as a bounce-ball lol sorry for the image.

with that said, if your dad has a high tolerance to caffeine it may or may not affect his ability to reap the benefits from NO products, but that's just a guess. I know most if not all of them advise that you take a month off every 3 or so months or you end up having to take more and more over time. I think my brother was up to 3 scoops whereas I usually took about a half, but only drink coffee maybe once a week lol there's obviously other ingredients so it wouldn't completely snuff out a pump, but they also recommend taking it on an empty stomach which may be a factor as well.

Ideally you'd be able to get some samples of the different brands from GNC or Vitamin Shoppe, but I'm not sure if any samples are available from any of the brands.
    yeah exactly

i was talking to a friend who was using the same kind of examples you were with his brother and tolerance lvl's.

now, ill admit, im not 1/10 as good as finding the right price like you. but im motivated to keep using this lol. not in an addictive way or anything, but i think this is a great starter pack.

http://www.a1supplements.com/BSN-Mas...s-p-16479.html
    this is my fault lol. im too lazy to do research and rely on other ppl too much. im going to see what's right for me

Old Merits
    BG Level

Wish I could take supplements like creatine... :\ Last time I did, I got my period way early (after 2 days of using creatine). Yay....? I guess I could try the supplements you guys suggest, but I'm afraid something bad will happen again. Plus, I had really bad cramps from the creatine I used. Man...you guys have it so easy. HATE YOU ALL.