The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    I can't wait til I do this marathon next month so I can start lifting again. I miss it so much, and somehow I put on like 10 pounds during my marathon training.

Marathons are fucking stupid.
    Just curious as to why you hate it so much? Lot's of people hate running for different reasons, just wondering what yours is. The mental game? The required discipline? The obnoxious aches and pains from training?

People sometimes ask me why I do it, and I have never came up with a definitive answer. It consumes a large amount of the little free time I have, my legs always hurt like hell, and I will never ever come in first place (overall, I've won some age groups). Heck, I ran for 3 hours on Saturday in 20 degree weather with 30MPH winds and roads covered with ice. My wife gets upset when I leave her with the kids to go running.

And I love it. I think I'm going to run Chicago this year.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    I think I'm going to run Chicago this year.
    Good luck man, my brother and his wife have run it twice i think, these were their 2009 times
    Va, Joshua, Lynden, WA,2:46:14, 265

Va, Nicole, Lynden, WA,2:59:07, 753

From what i've heard its a fast course.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

It's a fast course if the weather is on. It'll be my first of the big city marathons. Largest race I've ran prior to this was the half in Nashville (which I think I'll run again this year). It had about 35,000 people.

Your brother is extremely talented. His wife, even more so.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Since this seems like the thread to ask:

I'm 5'10 ~160 pounds right now. A year and a half or so ago, I was about 125(basically all the weight I've gained is fat). I was sick from chemotherapy mainly during that time, and I just forced myself to eat as much as possible, regardless of how unhealthy it was. Now I'm eating healthy again, and going to try to get back in shape.

I'm trying to get toned, but I don't really want to lose a ton of weight either. There's a gym nearby that has every workout tool imaginable, but I'm more or less clueless(outside of reading BG threads like this loool) about workouts and diets. Any advice for someone like me?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

It's a fast course if the weather is on. It'll be my first of the big city marathons. Largest race I've ran prior to this was the half in Nashville (which I think I'll run again this year). It had about 35,000 people.

Your brother is extremely talented. His wife, even more so.
    yeah, i didn't realize she was better than him, considering gender, until i just looked up those times. I have never managed to even get to a half marathon, and my FFXI years were a bit of a set back Q_Q

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Just curious as to why you hate it so much? Lot's of people hate running for different reasons, just wondering what yours is. The mental game? The required discipline? The obnoxious aches and pains from training?
    I hate it because I feel terrible both during and especially after running, and recently it's been destroying my knees. I did 16 miles two Mondays ago and I still fucking feel it in my left knee. Running is terrible, way too time consuming, bad for weight loss (apparently), and runners are obnoxious, always posting about running shit on their facebooks, noone cares about your dumb marathon, running is terrible.

The latter point is the reason I'm doing it. I want to be able to appropriately scoff and roll my eyes the next time I hear someone talk about marathon running (which I can only do after running one).

I'm running a marathon out of spite for marathon runners. If I, the guy who never ran more than 3 miles straight in his life, can just pop in out of nowhere, train for a while and run one, then it's not really an accomplishment at all, now is it?

This is what I aim to prove.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I'm throwing around the idea of doing an Ironman. The only thing that really scares me is the swim. 2.5km swim is like 75 lengths in a pool. The running is also somewhat daunting especially after the cycling.

I don't know, I'd have to train my brains out to do it. But I would feel amazing if I could say I accomplished something like that.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

sorry a miscalculation. its 3.9 km (about 2.5 miles) not 2.5km. and that translates to about 130 lengths.

BG Level

An Ironman has a 2.4 mile swim. You must be talking about a different triathalon, no?

crap beaten

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Ya, For whatever reason I can't seem to find the edit/delete post buttons anymore.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I hate it because I feel terrible both during and especially after running, and recently it's been destroying my knees. I did 16 miles two Mondays ago and I still fucking feel it in my left knee. Running is terrible, way too time consuming, bad for weight loss (apparently), and runners are obnoxious, always posting about running shit on their facebooks, noone cares about your dumb marathon, running is terrible.

The latter point is the reason I'm doing it. I want to be able to appropriately scoff and roll my eyes the next time I hear someone talk about marathon running (which I can only do after running one).

I'm running a marathon out of spite for marathon runners. If I, the guy who never ran more than 3 miles straight in his life, can just pop in out of nowhere, train for a while and run one, then it's not really an accomplishment at all, now is it?

Thats terrible man, why so much hatred for runners? Q_Q

Is being proud of yourself for having the determination to train for something really so deplorable?

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by TheTaru View Post
    Since this seems like the thread to ask:

I'm 5'10 ~160 pounds right now. A year and a half or so ago, I was about 125(basically all the weight I've gained is fat). I was sick from chemotherapy mainly during that time, and I just forced myself to eat as much as possible, regardless of how unhealthy it was. Now I'm eating healthy again, and going to try to get back in shape.

I'm trying to get toned, but I don't really want to lose a ton of weight either. There's a gym nearby that has every workout tool imaginable, but I'm more or less clueless(outside of reading BG threads like this loool) about workouts and diets. Any advice for someone like me?
    Toning = eating right and doing alot of reps with small amount of weight. Try simple steps at first, just go to any upper body machine around and just do alot of reps with it, trial and error. Hit up the treadmill / bicycle / gazelle too.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Stumblingdrunk View Post
    Thats terrible man, why so much hatred for runners? Q_Q
    I was the asthmatic kid growing up, couldn't run for shit. I looked like I could run - couldn't run.

My high school sport of choice was volleyball.

Fuck runners, shit's stupid. Get a sport.

I can't wait til I do this marathon next month so I can start lifting again. I miss it so much, and somehow I put on like 10 pounds during my marathon training.

Marathons are fucking stupid.
    Thighs bigger?

After training from my marathons I had thoroughbred thighs.

I also lost 40 pounds though training for my first marathon, hah...

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I was the asthmatic kid growing up, couldn't run for shit. I looked like I could run - couldn't run.

My high school sport of choice was volleyball.

Fuck runners, shit's stupid. Get a sport.
    As far as I'm concerned nothing proves better a person's athletic determination than running. It is sport, in its purest form.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Serif View Post
    Thighs bigger?
    Doubtful. Unlike most of the assholes at the gym I did legs too, squats, deadlifts, calf raises, etc. My calves are disproportionally large.

I've been thinking about learning to dunk as my next feat. I think that would be pretty fucking sweet - I'm only 5'10.5 but I can touch rim up to my 3rd knuckle, and I can palm an NBA basketball (my hands are weirdly big). I figure if I put about 5-6 inches on my vertical I could make it happen.

Problem is because I played volleyball, I only know how to jump high off two feet - the basketball 1-footed running jump completely eludes me, I jump a good 5 inches shorter that way.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I know of a girl who ran 30 miles on two weeks of training as part of a bet. Doing a marathon is only an accomplishment if you're over 60 or over 250 lbs, otherwise you're simply kidding yourself. 80 year old geriatrics finish them...

Go all out and feel the hell that is the last 6.2 miles and tell me that racing a marathon isn't an accomlishment.

If you still scoff at your friends after the LA marathon, your race was a failure because you quite obviously wouldn't have ran it to your potential, otherwise, you'd have a newfound respect.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Also, the reason I crashed at the Indy marathon was because my thigh/quad strength was lacking. I forefoot strike, so my calves take the brunt of the landing force. I've been spending more time doing plyometrics and cyclingnto increase upper leg strength. Hopefully it'll help with the IT band issues. That makes two races in which that injury has burned me.

BG Level

If you still scoff at your friends after the LA marathon, your race was a failure because you quite obviously wouldn't have ran it to your potential, otherwise, you'd have a newfound respect.
    No true scotsman eh?

When I finish the LA marathon, I'll feel sick and awful. You should've seen me after 16 miles, shit was scary. Which reinforces my ongoing narrative that running is terrible.

I don't respect people who take pride in doing miserable things. I could pound on my face with a hammer and talk about it on facebook too, but that, like running a marathon, is not something to be proud of.

My best friend is running it too - his first marathon. (He may very well beat me by a full hour.) His rationale for running is as such:
    The proper reason to run a Marathon is so that, when someone asks "Have you ever run a Marathon?", you can say "yes".

Alternatively, you can ask other people "Have you ever run a Marathon?" and then follow up with either "Me too" or "Pussy" depending on their response.

I always wondered with the whole "I ran a marathon" thing what really allows you to say that. In my mind if your pace is much slower than 10 minutes a mile (unless you have some kind of physical impediment - i dont really consider being fat as one) or you are walking/stopping for any real length of time, you sir did not run a marathon. Train more and do it for real. I mean anyone can go out and eventually complete it, completion to me is not anywhere near enough though.

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 730 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast