BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Steamed FFXI     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Perfect timing, as my old computer isn't working right and I lost my install CDs for the new computer...

Two questions:

1: I have POL installed on my laptop right now, but not FFXI. Should I uninstall POL before installing the Steam Download?

2: Will I still be eligible for the Nexus Cape if I go this route. I already paid for ACP and the Moogle add-on, but not Shantotto yet.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    2: Will I still be eligible for the Nexus Cape if I go this route. I already paid for ACP and the Moogle add-on, but not Shantotto yet.
    If that game has all 3 mini-expansions installed. Then you can get the cape. If you do not have all 3 installed; then no cape.

Tarutaru Sacrifice
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I fell asleep. Sorry about that guys.

Launching XI now. Apparently there are 10 separate first time installs you have to do with Steam...

Everything looks like a normal retail copy of XI, nothing all that special outside of the convenience factor.

...and I never got my keys for the new purchase, I'd hold off on buying it right now if you are new.The Steam Community Overlay doesn't work in POL. This is used for distributing retail keys to the player.

Steam Forums on the issue:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1022609

16099/16099 file patch...really now.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I used to run FFXI through steam just to chat with my Steam friends while playing. Always tickled me a bit.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Can you still run the 3rd party windower ( and macros ) on the steam version?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

This pretty much confirms (at least hints heavily at it) that 14 will be handled through Steam, which is no big surprise and an actual good news.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightjade View Post
    Counter-Strike 2
    Coming to a Windows 9 near you in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by sruon View Post
    This pretty much confirms (at least hints heavily at it) that 14 will be handled through Steam, which is no big surprise and an actual good news.
    ^This

Tarutaru Sacrifice
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Neogearzx View Post
    Can you still run the 3rd party windower ( and macros ) on the steam version?
    Until the Steam Overlay works with XI, there isn't a point in testing it.

Looking that the Steam Apps FFXI folder, it retains the same hierarchy as the retail version. It's all going to depend on how Steam likes windower.

Still patching...

Summary of Findings Thus Far:

New people looking to pick up FFXI right now should avoid this like the plague due to Steam not handing out Registration Keys like it's supposed to.

Client is almost exactly the same. Able to launch the POL Config, FFXI Config, and the Viewer all from Steam.

Steam Overlay doesn't work with PlayOnline. Shift+Tab does nothing. Will test with FFXI when patching finishes.

Base download is a little over 8gigs.

POL and FFXI need to be patched through POL. FFXI is a whoping 16099 files. Really makes you wonder what those 8gigs went to.

Testing windower is pointless until the overlay is working properly. Steam authentication and the overlay are going to be the biggest hurdles to overcome.

The FFXI folder hierarchy is the same as the retail version. Dat mods appear possible. Will test with FFXI style when patching completes.

Will post once I have more.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

1: Had POL (no FFXI) previously installed, downloaded FFXI via steam.

2: Ran POL/FFXI via Steam... forced me to update POL (seemed to be the out-of-box version of POL).

3: Closed Steam's POL, and opened the version I had installed already.

4: Downloading a huge, huge (~16000+ files) patch of FFXI over the previously installed POL.

Will post more later - but I don't think I will need to run FFXI off of Steam, and should be able to use windower normally.

ETA: Already have an active account.

Also, which Windower plugins are broken, so I can disable them for better testing?

(~20 minutes remain on the patch download)

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Shift+Tab definitely works while running the main FFXI client. At least it did when I used to run FFXI through steam a year ago.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Strai View Post
    Shift+Tab definitely works while running the main FFXI client. At least it did when I used to run FFXI through steam a year ago.
    Do you mean ALT+Tab, or are you talking about something else entirely?

Tarutaru Sacrifice
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Strai View Post
    Yes it did, but we are talking about the new Steam Client, not the retail one.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Do you mean ALT+Tab, or are you talking about something else entirely?
    Shift+Tab is the default macro for opening the steam overlay in-game which gives you access to your friends list, steam community (chat rooms, groups, etc.), and web browser.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Anyone know if I purchase the Ultimate Collection, If I can use the add-on keys on a different account?

Tarutaru Sacrifice
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Little update, Steam finally gave me 1 CD-Key, count em. 1. Not sure how it's supposed to work.

I'll make a new account with this and find out what it is.

Cleared POL registration. Had to stop due to lack of 3D secure card.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

1: Had POL (no FFXI) previously installed, downloaded FFXI via steam.

2: Ran POL/FFXI via Steam... forced me to update POL (seemed to be the out-of-box version of POL).

3: Closed Steam's POL, and opened the version I had installed already.

4: Downloading a huge, huge (~16000+ files) patch of FFXI over the previously installed POL.
    5: Windower lets me into POL up until the "please don't forger real life" screen. Once I click "play", the whole thing crashes.

Also, clicking on the Desktop FFXI shortcut (non-windower) causes FFXI to open through Steam.

That SpellCast Guy
    BG Level

I'm pretty sure all the "collections" only come with one key that activates everything included in one shot. I don't have personal experience with it, but I seem to recall reading that somewhere.

Tarutaru Sacrifice
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
    I'm pretty sure all the "collections" only come with one key that activates everything included in one shot. I don't have personal experience with it, but I seem to recall reading that somewhere.
    I thought there was 2. One for POL and another for FFXI.

Can anyone with a retail copy of this confrim?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Ah, so it is indeed 1 CD-key, that's a shame. I would assume If you add this key to an existing account you would get whichever expansion/add-ons you have yet to register?

Tarutaru Sacrifice
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Looks like those that bought it just for the addons just wasted $20 if it's the same as the Vana Collection 2008. Nice if we had a warning SE.

Well, the Steam version is safe to buy now that it gives you a key to use. I have a buddy who lacks the third addon, I'll see if I can get it to work with his account.

I'll post once I know more, but don't buy it expecting to upgrade quite yet. ; ;