Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rui Seiken
    FFXIV Server
    Jenova
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

me and my brother both got banned from XBL. However, due to Best Buy's stupid mistakes, he bought another one for $30. The Geek Squad Installation barcode is right next to the system barcode, and he talked to them and distracted them enough to where they rang in the wrong bar code and didn't notice. He's done it twice now, and is gonna try and do it a 3rd time today to get me another Xbox. Is this worse than the piracy itself?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Milks View Post
    me and my brother both got banned from XBL. However, due to Best Buy's stupid mistakes, he bought another one for $30. The Geek Squad Installation barcode is right next to the system barcode, and he talked to them and distracted them enough to where they rang in the wrong bar code and didn't notice. He's done it twice now, and is gonna try and do it a 3rd time today to get me another Xbox. Is this worse than the piracy itself?
    Its the same thing...

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

There are ways for the hardcore pirate to unban his Xbox, and a lot of people have resorted to simply buying an Xbox from walmart, swapping parts, and returning it the next day and taking advantage of Walmart employees ineptitude when it comes to returns.

I know Microsoft faps to this sort of thing, but I really don't see the point. A pirate is a pirate, they will always be one step ahead and will find some way around paying for games. Even if that means not buying it at all.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Milks View Post
    "Clever use of in-game mechanics"

That being said, equal fault on all parties. It's not ethical obviously, but if he's managed to pull it off twice he's encountered some amazingly stupid employees. I'm against piracy and all that, but I also don't think it's logical for any company to believe that they can prevent it until they decide to switch to proprietary media formats and locked HDs.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsuki View Post
    so basically, you love bashing poor college people that can't afford $60 games every week? Of course there are solutions, like using gamefly for one, it's cheap, and play any game you want. I only own like 6 X360 games tops, last one I own and it's not really mine, it's my girlfriend's is BlazBlue. Unfortunately, some people have to resort to such means because, like me, can't afford to shell out for so many games a week, only to possibly play them for like a couple days then stop because so many games come out at once. Of course pirating is wrong, but jesus man, you don't have to go bashing on people who can only afford college and some other bills because there are very few jobs out there. Yet some people really want to play assassin's creed 2 w/o shooting their wallets.
    If you can't afford the game, you should not be playing it.

My friend that pirates video games once asked me to borrow a season of South Park. He brought it back the next day and asked if he could borrow the next season. I asked him why so quick? And he said that he copied it. He didn't understand why I was pissed. I really wanted to ask him to pay money for it, but instead I just refused to let him borrow anything from me again.

A lot of people just simply don't think copying is stealing.. but it pisses me off when I'm the one that puts down the money for a legitimate copy, and people 'lol' at me for paying.

Banhammar them all.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Ravenholdt

Quote Originally Posted by Kwijiboe View Post
    My friend that pirates video games once asked me to borrow a season of South Park. He brought it back the next day and asked if he could borrow the next season. I asked him why so quick? And he said that he copied it. He didn't understand why I was pissed. I really wanted to ask him to pay money for it, but instead I just refused to let him borrow anything from me again.

A lot of people just simply don't think copying is stealing.. but it pisses me off when I'm the one that puts down the money for a legitimate copy, and people 'lol' at me for paying.

Banhammar them all.
    http://stuff.lifetimeblood.info/piracy-is-not-theft.png

That pic only reframes the issue.

Calling it 'piracy' does not make it 'not theft.'

Banned.

BG Level

My friend
    Obviously wasn't a friend. I'd give a friend the shirt off of my back if they wanted it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Some fag linked that pirate shit to this thread, irritating.

Well, isn't a friend anymore. Not because of that; haven't seen/heard from this guy for a while. If I paid for something, I don't want anyone to take a copy of it from me--especially without my knowledge. They can borrow it, sure, but not to copy it. My point in telling that story, however, was that people don't think copying is stealing. Although, I do.

If you went out of your way to pay for it, why not share it with a friend? If I buy a DVD or TV Series for myself, I don't see a reason not to share it with my roommates and friends. Might as well get my moneys worth for it, and if you're not losing anything and a friend would gain from it, why is letting him have a copy so awful to you? You're just showing off how uptight you are, not how noble you are. I'm not condoning pirating but if someone is actually a friend I don't see why copying it would be a big deal at all. If he's any kind of friend he'd loan you his season 3 of Southpark later on and you'd both gain.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Well, isn't a friend anymore. Not because of that; haven't seen/heard from this guy for a while. If I paid for something, I don't want anyone to take a copy of it from me--especially without my knowledge. They can borrow it, sure, but not to copy it. My point in telling that story, however, was that people don't think copying is stealing. Although, I do.
    I'm confused, what exactly is the difference between him borrowing and watching the shows, and him borrowing it and making a copy to watch later? Either way, no money exchanges hands and the producers of South Park make no additional money. You clearly didn't grow up in the 80s when game floppies had no copy protection and you just passed it around at school.

I mean honestly, there has to be a line somewhere. If you and a friend were walking in the rain and you had the only umbrella, would you refuse to share it because it hurts the umbrella makers if your friend doesn't go out and buy one? Do you refuse to give a buddy a ride because that hurts the automakers and gasoline companies? I have to agree with Finesse, it's not theft, it's called "being a friend"

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

People who berate pirates are just jealous that they don't have the technical know-how to do it themselves.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...sGonnaHate.jpg

I never used my xbox online much to begin with, so I have no idea if my gamertag or console is banned. Could care less really. Any games that I want to play online, I'll play them on PC.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Exactly, no one in the world could possibly have any sense of morality when it comes to business and economy. Especially because modding a system is oh-so hard.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    Exactly, no one in the world could possibly have any sense of morality when it comes to business and economy. Especially because modding a system is oh-so hard.
    You're right, it's not very hard.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Clearly sarcasm has no effect on you.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    Clearly sarcasm has no effect on you.

Oh I know what you were implying. I just choose to ignore it.

If people could mod their xboxen more easily than it already is, or even if they came with the ability to play burns, most if not all people would do it. It would be like netflix, or renting from a store, except you wouldn't have to leave the house or wait for a disc in the mail.

Most people would be like me, try out burns, and buy them if they're worth buying.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Fair enough.

I'm not trying to take a moral or ethical high ground on the issue, because frankly I don't care what other people do. I just have an issue with the "You don't pirate because you're not as cool or smart as us" mentality.

If that's how you use piracy, more power to you, though you're in the minority being someone that pirates to try things out then actually buys legitimate copies.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Just prevents me from buying shitty games.