+ Reply to Thread

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Marriage & Debt. [BG legal]

So after awhile of researching online. I've found very little legal litigation over debt that is active before a marriage.

For example. John Doe has about 1k dept (nothing big, can easily pay it off quickly but it will override into the marriage.

Jill Doe has $40,000 of debt. Don't ask me from what, I don't know.

If these two marry, is John Doe at any point of risk of destroying his current credit history? Also will creditors ever at any point come for John Doe because of is wife's debt.

Or is it as simple as getting a prenup. Stating Person A. is responsible for her debt and that John Doe cannot be affected in anyway legally (For example say if the woman died, would creditors still come for the husband?)

Its still pretty sketchy, was going to call our family lawyer just to ask, but its surprising enough I'm not picking up much information on it on my google radar.

Also inb4 don't do it. This is all speculation and the question mainly spawned from watching;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7b_QQJbU8o

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Foiled! I was going to post that video QQ

I know when we got out house, car or any sort of joint purchases they did take my wife's credit history into account as well as mine. We had to run both or ours when we bought our home, luckily she is squeaky clean and it wasn't an issue.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Ah, so technically the guy in this situation would just have to get the house in his name? (Or would the credit check still connect the dots in idea to the person loaning)

edit: Also I guess by saying the guy getting it in his name. Say if they were to divorce, the wife gets no house? So many loopholes around it seems.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Well as far as I know if you plan to put her on there joint then yes she would have to undergo scrutiny. With my income alone I qualified for a 300k house, with my wifes combined we qualify for 600-650k, so that is where the difference comes in I think.

If your bank like that and can do it alone they will certainly just run yours and not have to worry about her score hurting yours. Correct me if I am wrong anyone, this is just from my personal experience when were were home shopping a few years ago.