+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Guide :: 1-100     submit to reddit submit to twitter

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Fishing Guide :: 1-100

Credit goes to everyone in the fishing thread/community. This needs to be its own thread so Dejet and Cdgreg don't have to keep reposting it for people

Fishing discussion goes here: http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/49347-fishing.html
    Ebisu Bitching goes here: http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/79718...-bitching.html

Mods, please help this thread stay clear of either of these two topics. Replies to this thread should be detailed information, updates or suggestions on better ways to get your fishing skill to 100.

Quote Originally Posted by cdgreg View Post
    First off, let me give credit where credit is due:
    http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/49347-fishing-40.html

Preface
    After asking him some follow up questions about bait, zones, etc, here is what I view as the fastest and most profitable fishing to at least 90+, I know there's a lot more to be researched on 90-100, but I'll have plenty of time for that while I fish. First, I'm not sure what level you can begin fishing Istiridye's, they are the Eastern equivilant of Shall Shells and were not only quite easy to reel in at 28, but I also used to fish Shall Shells with 20ish skills in Bub Pen. Secondly, I will assume Lu Shangs fishing rod but you can also use Halcyon, atleast upto 53. Honestly, by 53, you'll probably have made enough to pay for at least half, if not more of a Lu's just NPCing everything. All of this can be done in the Nashmau area, however, if there is a close zone alternative I will include that option.

Stage 0.5: Nebimonite
    Fishing Levels: 0-27
    Area: Ship between Mhaura/Selbina or Sea Serpent Grotto
    Bait: Halcyon Rod (or Lu of course) & Crayfish Paste
    Notes: Skip moats and hit these up for 27 levels. They sell incredibly fast on the AH for about 9k per stack. To save more gil, buy the crayfish paste at the fisherman's guild for dirt cheap. I'm sure they were exaggerating, but people said they made almost enough to buy a Lu from AHing these from 0-27 instead of spending time on Moats and random other fish. I imagine if you would like you can start Istiridye earlier than 27 assuming you have a Lu, a friend began them at level 7 with a Lu.
    ***ADDITIONAL NOTE: I've heard Nebs dont bite very well until around 15, so it may be best to just do moats from 0-11.

Stage 1: Istiridye
    Fishing Levels: 0-53
    Area: Nashmau
    Bait: Robber Rig
    Notes: These are incredibly easy to reel in and stack. If you are a bit patient they will sell on the AH for 7k a stack, or find a high level bonecrafter who synths them into black pearls and sell to them directly for a negotiable price. They also NPC for 300ish gil. I made 70k my first day just NPCing these while racking in a couple fishing skill levels from 30-33ish. I currently dbox them to a high level bone friend for 5k a stack.

Stage 2: Mercanbaligi & Ahtapot
    Fishing Levels: 53-90
    Bait: Shrimp Lure
    Additional Location: Talacca Cove, W exit of Nashmau through Caederva Mire near Einherjar entrance.
    Notes: A friend prefers Talacca Cove, the difference is in Talacca you will also fish up Dil's which you will not in Nashmau. NPC rates seem to vary on these from about 600g on Mercs to 700gish on Ahtapots. Mercs are the Eastern equivalent of Bastore Breams and Ahtapots are the Eastern equivalents of Grimmonites. Dil's npc for almost 800g each and are the eastern version of black sole which cap at 96.

[i]This is where a few options seem to open:

Stage 3 Option A: Pterygotus
    Fishing Levels 90-99
    Bait: Lugworm
    Notes: Biterate is acceptable, and these will not break a Lu.

Stage 3 Option B: Dil
    Area: Talacca Cave
    Fishing Levels: 90-96
    Notes: You will also hit Mercs (single !) which are already capped, and also Ahtapots (!!!) which cap at 90 but the bite rate of hooking dils is similar to Pter's and you will make nice gil off the other 2 fish in the meantime.

Stage 3: Option C: Cave Cherax
    Area: Quicksand Caves
    Fishing Levels: 86+ or more likely 99-100
    Bait: A MEATABALLS
    Notes: These will snap a Lu Shangs and/or your line. If you go this route and do not have WW high enough to repair consider buying multiple Lu's.

Stage 4: Option D: Armored Pisces
    Area: Oldton Movalpolos
    Bait: Sinking Minnow
    Notes: These *will not* snap a line or rod if the fish is completely depleted. Bite rate seems to be equal or possibly better than Cave Cherax.

Stage 5: Option D: Lik/Gugs
    Area: Lufaise Meadows, Open Sea Route Mhaura/Al Zahbi
    Bait: Minnow, Meatballs
    Notes: If you are lucky enough to have an Ebisu by the time you cap Ahtapot 90 in Talacca Cove skilling off these is a profitable option. I personally skilled 90-100 off Liks and made quite a fortune bazaaring some for 15k and unloading others to lsmates for 10k each and helping them obtain an ebisu. This really wouldn't be a great idea if you had a Lu, but if you were lucky enough to have an Ebisu at this point, the skill ups were quite decent.

TLDR Fishing for Dummies Version:
    All done in Nashmau:
    0-53 Robber Rig, Istiridye (If no Lu, Halcyon to 27 on Nebs)
    53-86 Shrimp Lure, Mercanbaligi & Ahtapot
    86-99 Lugworm or Sinking Minnow, Pterygotus
    99-100 QSC, Meatballs/Cave Cherax OR Oldton Movalpolos, Sinking Minnow/Armored Pisces, OR Lik/Gugs Minnow/Meatballs
    Also:

Quote Originally Posted by Lasareth View Post
    Repost of what I guess was lost in the fishing thread, some of it might be useful. Stuff from basic to advanced with links:

Since I was bored and the idea was brought up earlier, I went ahead and skimmed the thread to pick up some important points, if anyone's interested. Some are responses to FAQs and some are posts picked out from the thread concerning other discussions.

Hit-and-run Points

-You can repair a Lu Shang's Fishing Rod without WW skill in Rabao

-The three fishing rings:
    Pelican Ring: Increases skill up rate (Two chances at skillup per reel, yes you can double skillup). Requires placement in the top 20 of the Fish Ranking Contest.
    Albatross Ring: Increases reeling time. Obtained as a 100% reward for the Pirate's Chart Quest.
    Penguin Ring: Decreases fish's stamina more effectively while reeling. Obtained as a possible 3rd 4th or 5th chest reward in the Brigand's Chart Quest.

The ring effects disppear if you zone.

-Moglification: Fishing obtained by having Fisherman's Signboard (Required) 200,000 Guild points and Veteran fishing rank) and one or both of the following:
    -The Big One (crafted)
    -Fishing Hole Map (requires 150,000 GP and Veteran status)

-The Ebisu Fishing Rod Quest requires the key item Serpent Rumors (95,000 GP, Adept rank required) to complete. Opal Slilk and Saber Shoot, the two items required to complete it, can be obtained without the quest flagged.

-Fishing Fatigue caps at 200 fish give or take per earth day, resets at JP midnight tally. Approaching the cap has a noticeable effect on the wait period between casts. Characters under level 20 are limited to 10 fish per day.

-Phanauet Newts suck

Resources/quick links

Fishing Category on FFXI wikia

FFXIAH Guild Pattern (updates daily)

Completed Relic/Ebisu Rod List - Also, Indomitable Spirit quest bitching

Titanictus.com Forums

Kida's FFXI Fishing Database for fishers in Final Fantasy XI - comprehensive DB of fishing caps, locations, bait, rods

cdgreg's Fishing for Dummies (Reposted below):

CPUkiller-slowing tips

Urat's Moghancement Theory (1,2) (Rebuttal)

Observations on July ebisu update (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

An opinion on mooching

Lik/Gugru Lu Shang's bite rate info

Differentiating between Ahtapots and monsters

Discussion on Pirate's/Brigand's Chart event odds

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

need to really sticky this, we are asked in the fishing thread at least once every few pages ^^

Trumpet Shell are a no go till around 80+ as the bite rate is way low. Tho they might be skill 63 bad idea unless you have a ton of time to burn.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Repost of what I guess was lost in the fishing thread, some of it might be useful. Stuff from basic to advanced with links:

Since I was bored and the idea was brought up earlier, I went ahead and skimmed the thread to pick up some important points, if anyone's interested. Some are responses to FAQs and some are posts picked out from the thread concerning other discussions.

Hit-and-run Points

-You can repair a Lu Shang's Fishing Rod without WW skill in Rabao

Pelican Ring: Increases skill up rate (Two chances at skillup per reel, yes you can double skillup). Requires placement in the top 20 of the Fish Ranking Contest.
    Albatross Ring: Increases reeling time. Obtained as a 100% reward for the Pirate's Chart Quest.
    Penguin Ring: Decreases fish's stamina more effectively while reeling. Obtained as a possible 3rd 4th or 5th chest reward in the Brigand's Chart Quest.

The ring effects disppear if you zone.

-Moglification: Fishing obtained by having Fisherman's Signboard (Required) 200,000 Guild points and Veteran fishing rank) and one or both of the following:
    -The Big One (crafted)
    -Fishing Hole Map (requires 150,000 GP and Veteran status)

-The Ebisu Fishing Rod Quest requires the key item Serpent Rumors (95,000 GP, Adept rank required) to complete. Opal Slilk and Saber Shoot, the two items required to complete it, can be obtained without the quest flagged.

-Fishing Fatigue caps at 200 fish give or take per earth day, resets at JP midnight tally. Approaching the cap has a noticeable effect on the wait period between casts. Characters under level 20 are limited to 10 fish per day.

-Phanauet Newts suck

Resources/quick links

Fishing Category on FFXI wikia

FFXIAH Guild Pattern (updates daily)

Completed Relic/Ebisu Rod List - Also, Indomitable Spirit quest bitching

Titanictus.com Forums

Kida's FFXI Fishing Database for fishers in Final Fantasy XI - comprehensive DB of fishing caps, locations, bait, rods

cdgreg's Fishing for Dummies (Reposted below):
    Spoiler: show
    I'll repost this little guide I wrote while I was planning my quest to 100 based off a poster here. Please don't yell at me, I know there are other alternatives, and I know not everyone can afford a Lu to begin in Nash early, but hope it helps. Also you can start any next "stage" earlier if you can handle it, such as Talacca/Ahtapot/Merc/Dils before 53.

First off, let me give credit where credit is due:
    http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/49347-fishing-40.html

Preface
    After asking him some follow up questions about bait, zones, etc, here is what I view as the fastest and most profitable fishing to at least 90+, I know there's a lot more to be researched on 90-100, but I'll have plenty of time for that while I fish. First, I'm not sure what level you can begin fishing Istiridye's, they are the Eastern equivilant of Shall Shells and were not only quite easy to reel in at 28, but I also used to fish Shall Shells with 20ish skills in Bub Pen. Secondly, I will assume Lu Shangs fishing rod but you can also use Halcyon, atleast upto 53. Honestly, by 53, you'll probably have made enough to pay for at least half, if not more of a Lu's just NPCing everything. All of this can be done in the Nashmau area, however, if there is a close zone alternative I will include that option.

Stage 0.5: Nebimonite
    Fishing Levels: 0-27
    Area: Ship between Mhaura/Selbina or Sea Serpent Grotto
    Bait: Halcyon Rod (or Lu of course) & Crayfish Paste
    Notes: Skip moats and hit these up for 27 levels. They sell incredibly fast on the AH for about 9k per stack. To save more gil, buy the crayfish paste at the fisherman's guild for dirt cheap. I'm sure they were exaggerating, but people said they made almost enough to buy a Lu from AHing these from 0-27 instead of spending time on Moats and random other fish. I imagine if you would like you can start Istiridye earlier than 27 assuming you have a Lu, a friend began them at level 7 with a Lu.

Stage 1: Istiridye
    Fishing Levels: 0-53
    Bait: Robber Rig
    Notes: These are incredibly easy to reel in and stack. If you are a bit patient they will sell on the AH for 7k a stack, or find a high level bonecrafter who synths them into black pearls and sell to them directly for a negotiable price. They also NPC for 300ish gil. I made 70k my first day just NPCing these while racking in a couple fishing skill levels from 30-33ish. I currently dbox them to a high level bone friend for 5k a stack.

Stage 2: Mercanbaligi & Ahtapot
    Fishing Levels: 53-86
    Additional Location: Tallaca Cave, W exit of Nashmau through Caederva Mire near Einherjar entrance.
    Notes: A friend prefers Tallaca Cave, the difference is in Tallaca you will also fish up Dil's which you will not in Nashmau. NPC rates seem to vary on these from about 600g on Mercs to 700gish on Ahtapots. Mercs are the Eastern equivalent of Bastore Breams and Ahtapots are the Eastern equivalents of Grimmonites. Dil's npc for almost 800g each and are the eastern version of black sole which cap at 96. I personally prefered Nashmau until the Ahtapot cap at 90.

This is where a few options seem to open:

Stage 3 Option A: Pterygotus
    Fishing Levels 86-99
    Bait: Lugworm
    Notes: Biterate is acceptable, and these will not break a Lu.

Stage 3 Option B: Dil
    Area: Talacca Cave
    Fishing Levels: 86-96
    Notes: You will also hit Mercs (single !) which are already capped, and also Ahtapots (!!!) which cap at 90 but the bite rate of hooking dils is similar to Pter's and you will make nice gil off the other 2 fish in the meantime.

Stage 3: Option C: Cave Cherax
    Area: Quicksand Caves
    Bait: A MEATABALLS
    Notes: These will snap a Lu Shangs and/or your line. If you go this route and do not have WW high enough to repair consider buying multiple Lu's.

Stage 4: Option D: Armored Pisces
    Area: Oldton Movalpolos
    Bait: Sinking Minnow
    Notes: These *will not* snap a line or rod if the fish is completely depleted. Bite rate seems to be equal or possibly better than Cave Cherax.

Stage 5: Option D: Lik/Gugs
    Area: Lufaise Meadows, Open Sea Route Mhaura/Al Zahbi
    Bait: Minnow, Meatballs
    Notes: If you are lucky enough to have an Ebisu by the time you cap Ahtapot 90 in Talacca Cove skilling off these is a profitable option. I personally skilled 90-100 off Liks and made quite a fortune bazaaring some for 15k and unloading others to lsmates for 10k each and helping them obtain an ebisu. This really wouldn't be a great idea if you had a Lu, but if you were lucky enough to have an Ebisu at this point, the skill ups were quite decent.

TLDR Fishing for Dummies Version:
    All done in Nashmau:
    0-53 Robber Rig, Istiridye (If no Lu, then Nebs until 27 w/Halcyon)
    53-86 Shrimp Lure, Mercanbaligi & Ahtapot
    86-99 Lugworm or Sinking Minnow, Pterygotus
    99-100 QSC, Meatballs/Cave Cherax OR Oldton Movalpolos, Sinking Minnow/Armored Pisces, OR Lik/Gugs Minnow/Meatballs

CPUkiller-slowing tips

Urat's Moghancement Theory (1,2) (Rebuttal)

Observations on July ebisu update (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

An opinion on mooching

Lik/Gugru Lu Shang's bite rate info

Differentiating between Ahtapots and monsters

Discussion on Pirate's/Brigand's Chart event odds

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

very nice, forgot you wrote that up, I say that gets thrown in the OP as well!

I personally liked this site for info

Great Blue - FFXI Fishing Database

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

ya great blue is great. Use them all the time(or use to till I got into my set ways now)

<3ing this thread lol

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

very nice, forgot you wrote that up, I say that gets thrown in the OP as well!
    Done.

With you guys permissions, I can reformat the original post to be a little easier to read with less quotes (and just give credit at the bottom)

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I don't think the links to urat's moghancement theory (and rebuttal) are right... I vaguely remember him saying something about overwhelming water in your mog house, and the pages linked don't say anything about it (also 1 and 2 go to the same page).

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

I proved urats overwhelming water theory false based on verified auto regen/no regen levels. Part of his theory was faint+1 overwhelming+3 skill which was debunked. I don't even think that should be included in the op as it was a baseless theory that was disproven.

Sure clean it up! Be decent to get our own list of inside the belly stuff in there too eventually

also probably should note that paid/belt support is +2 which was also verified by the above method.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Hadriel View Post
    I don't think the links to urat's moghancement theory (and rebuttal) are right... I vaguely remember him saying something about overwhelming water in your mog house, and the pages linked don't say anything about it (also 1 and 2 go to the same page).
    May be due to board settings, not sure how to fix that. Here's the first link as I See it:

First off, wioth tier 3 strength it becomes +3 skill not just +1, and the depletion rate increases to about the potency of a full time penguin ring.

Friend of mine with penguin + tier 3 moglification drops liks like they're rusty buckets.

Not only that, the signboards aura strength is much higher than big one's, giving you more leeway with MH furniture and an easier time building up to overwhelming strength.

200K GP is a lot though, and it depends on your method and what legendaries you prefer.

If you have a penguins and pelican ring, then apron is far better than moglification, since at a 3/4 item/mob bite rate vs gugra bite rate, apron almost doubles your bite rate and cuts time to catch x number of fish in half.

Moglification by itself on tier 1 or even 2 will not double rate you drop mobs hp. But if your fishing legendaries in an area with a much higher bite rate vs item rate on legendaries, like cave cherax in the kings, suddenly apron loses its potency and moglification gives you a better fish over time rate, I hate to say it but the rule still holds.

Shit is situational.
    So I dunno, seems to match what you say.

Also might be worth adding the two new rings to the OP.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

So I dunno, seems to match what you say.

Also might be worth adding the two new rings to the OP.
    What I'm saying is he's wrong. He eventually admitted after I disproved the 1~3 skill part that his friend supplied him that theory who was botting most likely just to cover his ass. We finally put that overwhelming water theory to rest, no need to have it in the OP lol.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Regardless of the content, if my links are bad for someone who has different board settings, it would be prudent to adjust the post accordingly. That was the purpose of my reply, not to confirm or deny the content of any of the posts. You guys know more than I do about that.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Bump for wanting this a sticky!

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Not gonna lie this guide is amazing, I've tried to level fishing before but going to obscure places like SSG to fish really annoyed me, just jumping on a boat to nashmeow is really nice.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Falaras View Post
    Not gonna lie this guide is amazing, I've tried to level fishing before but going to obscure places like SSG to fish really annoyed me, just jumping on a boat to nashmeow is really nice.
    Ya whoever wrote this was a frickin genius. Btw I always preferred getting to Nash either runic portaling to Ilrusi>escape>Run north or Ruins>exit>Run.

Hipster Fisherman
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Repost of what I guess was lost in the fishing thread, some of it might be useful. Stuff from basic to advanced with links

As far as I know, penguin ring can not be found in the 3rd chest. If it's going to drop, it's always going to be in either 4th/5th chest.

Also, I feel the "Discussion on Pirate's/Brigand's Chart event odds" link is mislabeled. It should more clearly reflect that the discussion is on how to increase one's odds of getting penguin ring. As it is, it sounds more like a discussion of drop rate than of how to best attack the brigand's chart quest. Also, albatross ring has nothing to do with that thread.

"Differentiating between Ahtapots and monsters" link goes to first page of fishing thread, where I can't find any information on the subject. Though I'm not sure it really needs a while link explaining this phenomena anyways: Monsters immediately pull the rod to the left/right when they bite, ahtapots let the rod stay in the center for a second before they pull left/right. Same thing when the rod returned to the center while fighting: Monsters won't let it stay in the center but for a moment, ahtapots are more chill and let the rod stay in the center for a bit longer. EDIT: Looks like the link is correct, but it just takes me to the beginning of the thread; it's already been discussed it looks like.

Lastly, as for fishing databases and as has already been mentioned, I prefer Great Blue ( http://www.great-blue.jp/?lng=en ) over Kida's, as it's a bit more up to date/comprehensive. Kida's site does provide a link to Akirus' fishing guide, which I found marvelously helpful in my journey, but it is outdated (http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.htm...258220&num=703). I used to LOVE Clanwind's fishing database, but it's super outdated.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Is there a "Getting started with MMM for fisherman" guide I can add too, when I reformat it?

Hipster Fisherman
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

What I'm saying is he's wrong. He eventually admitted after I disproved the 1~3 skill part that his friend supplied him that theory who was botting most likely just to cover his ass. We finally put that overwhelming water theory to rest, no need to have it in the OP lol.
    I still have all my cabinets taking up space in my mog house ;x Not that I believe it helps me any more than just having normal water energy pervading my mog house, but since I can afford the space, I'll play along with the superstition.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
    Is there a "Getting started with MMM for fisherman" guide I can add too, when I reformat it?
    Not as far I've seen. Maybe I can whip one up this upcoming weekend if no one else has yet. Btw go check out my Windower/script question in the fishing thread, it may have gotten thrown a page back by now.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by nibu View Post
    I still have all my cabinets taking up space in my mog house ;x Not that I believe it helps me any more than just having normal water energy pervading my mog house, but since I can afford the space, I'll play along with the superstition.
    Lol I hear ya, even after I disproved the 1~3 thing and 10 people had said they saw no difference on the penguin ring like effect it was hard for me to go through with removing the water barrels.