+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need a new monitor     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Need a new monitor

I recently built a new gaming rig. i7920 3.4Ghz HD5850. I am looking to now upgrade my monitor, and put that HD5850 to work. I sit about 2-3 feet away. I am looking at the following monitors:

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG TOC T260HD Rose Black 25.5" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 10000:1(1000:1) Build in TV Tuner & Dolby Digital Surround Sound - LCD Monitors

or

Newegg.com - ASUS VW266H Black 25.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1) Built in Speakers w/ component connector - LCD Monitors

I am more leaning to the Sammy since it has 1 more HDMI. I currently use my monitor for PC games, XBOX 360, and work/family use. There is the potential for me to connect the Driectv, but I just got a 50in lcd around the corner. I don't mind paying the extra $70 for the 1 more HDMI and the TV tuner. My biggest concern is image quality, pure and simple. Please feel free to suggest another product, I have also considered this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-063-_-Product

but believe a 32inch monitor from 2 feet away is too big. But damn that LG has one nice panel. Plus Best Buy's black Friday sale has the LG for only $440.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

I'd go with the Asus just because that's a ridiculously low price for that model, but if you're willing to put out the 70 bucks for the tuner and second HDMI then I think you answered your own question.

And yeah, I think 32" a bad size, its too big to be used as an up-close monitor and too small to make a good TV. I love Samsung panels too even if some people don't.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Dalaran

24-25 inches form 2 feet is really really nice. Since you use yours for more stuff, I'd go with the Samsung. As far as image goes, seen a few Samsung tvs and monitors, never seen a bad image. Just my $0.02

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I preach about that Asus, it's awesome and I'm currently running 2 of them.

Like I said in the Black Friday thread, get it, and get it now. It's almost 100$ off.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I have an ASUS and have no complaints on it. The onboard headphone jack scales the volume to the monitor's level whereas my normal speakers would blast it at full system volume regardless of how low I manually turn down the speakers. Onboard speakers arent great, but can't expect much out of it. I always hear great things about Samsung monitors though.

I'd go with the ASUS. a TV tuner isn't worth 90 extra bucks in price. ASUS makes good shit and for 239 dollars I'm going to be kicking myself in the face in a week for not buying one for myself.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Does anyone know the style of screen, glossy or matte for both monitors? I do not have an ASUS dealer near me, I went and looked at a Sammy today and a different model had a matte screen.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I believe its matte on the asus