• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Windows XP - services.exe terminating : 1073741819

So I use this laptop for school and when it is at home my father uses it. Silly of me it was to not be checking and updating what I could on it. As a result, my father informed me of this error.

This error appears at the login screen or on the desktop stating that services.exe is terminating and the pc will be shut down save your work etc. When it shows up at the login screen it will restart after the timer goes down. If this shows up on the desktop it doesn't shut down but instead makes everything load at an incredibly slow rate.

On occasion, this error doesn't appear but it seems to be total luck as I restarted it many times getting the same error then the next day it will be fine for a bit then begin again.

My father was able to run a program called Avira to scan and remove what was found on it. Other scanning programs do not seem to open and say we are not allowed to even when in safe mode.

Certain sites won't open and instead redirect to random areas especially ones regarding solutions to fixing this problem.

Looking around I found various solutions to this problem on my desktop and started to try Panda to see how it goes (and it is still running slowly)

Truthfully, I have not had any type of virus/trojan/malware experience for years as I am fairly careful with where I go (doesn't stop the occasional small things that get found but I tend to get rid of them fairly well).

Any possible solutions would be greatful <3

Take that HD out and stick it in an enclosure and plug it into another protected machine and do a full scan. Don't mess with any antivirus titles except for ESET or Symantec 10. If you really need your computer to work and you're getting the shutdown screen just hold Windows Key + R to bring up run window and type "shutdown -a" to abort the thing, without the quotes of course, and the pop up will go away. Granted that you're not bsoding.

If you don't see your start menu / taskbar / desktop icons, hit Ctrl+Alt+Del, go to File -> New and type "explorer" and hit enter to do a softboot for your shell.

... without quotes.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Thanks for the response. It helped out and seemed to fix the issue.

However, sometime after removing the said problem, connecting to the wireless has become impossible as of this time. It does not even show up on the list either the linksys (other pcs working fine with it). However, direct connection works fine.

Not sure if this is caused by something else or just an error on our part somehow.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bik Pik
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Can you pick up other wireless networks?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Bikpik View Post
    Can you pick up other wireless networks?
    I can not =(

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bik Pik
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Do you have your wireless turned off? Also, is this laptop on AC power or battery?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

It is turned on. For some reason when the laptop goes on it detects the linksys but says "limited or no connectivity." If I try to search for wireless it doesn't find it.

It goes on AC power. The thing is a beast of a laptop for its time (not anymore though, its like 5 years old) so battery goes down way too quickly XD

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bik Pik
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

What is the brand and model of laptop you're using?

Did you check Device Manager to see if your wireless adapator is still listed?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

HP Pavilion ZD8000 (yes the same one with the heating issue lol)

The wireless adaptor is still listed under Device Manager

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bik Pik
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

hmmm I assume you tried it right next to your wireless router?

What did you do excatly to fix your orignal issue?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

It was in the room next to mine when I last tested it. Normally would work anywhere in the house.

The first issue was fixed after I used Panda's online scanner. The wireless was working for a while after that and just decided to stop some hours afterwards.

Edit: Well, I also did windiag with a combination of combo-fix from someone who had the same issue as me for the services.exe issue on this specific trojan. But the wireless was fine after that until some hours after I did Panda just to clear any remenants since the other scanners weren't working until after that.

Edit 2: I should also clarify that the icon says there are wirelesses in range but it just won't list them out

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bik Pik
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

How did you remove the hard drive? some wireless cards are close to the hard drives, and you may have loosened a connection. (not totally off since it is still being picked up by device manager) only other thing I can suggest is remove the driver and reinstall.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I didn't remove the harddrive. I was able to connect to the internet via the direct connection in which I scanned on a different program. I thanked the response because he gave me that idea to try first before opening it.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bik Pik
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

So you did have a virus on there?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Had several "low priority" viruses and two trojans that were "high priority" if I remember right. They were deleted and my father said he didn't see them again on the second scan.

I'll prolly scan on Panda once more I guess in the direct connection method to see if it finds something else.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bik Pik
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Lemme know how that works, if no luck with that, then try uninstalling/reinstalling the wireless drivers

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

No luck. Found mostly just tracking cookies and that was it. Ran Panda, Microsoft Security Essentials, and Malware.

It still says it detects wirelesses in the area but it won't show them still. I'll have to try your idea sometime tomorrow after my first final.

Quote Originally Posted by Meian View Post
    No luck. Found mostly just tracking cookies and that was it. Ran Panda, Microsoft Security Essentials, and Malware.

It still says it detects wirelesses in the area but it won't show them still. I'll have to try your idea sometime tomorrow after my first final.
    That annoying "Limited / No connection" message ;x... Since your wired works, can you confirm your wireless works with another laptop or computer*?

If so,

Reset your router/gateway and try to setup the wireless point from scratch, applying settings 1 by 1 and seeing when the problem pops up.

eg.

0. Reset the device.

1. connecting to "linksys" or w/e router/gtway you have without any security measures.

2. Changing the SSID.

3. Applying WEP.

4. Upgrading to WPA (Personal).

I've had that problem before with several laptops and machines, sometimes Windows just falls dead for no apparent reason and can't communicate with certain APs with WPA.