• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread

Wireless controllers that work!! help w/ info

Ok so my wired controller I have from Loitech is shitting out on me again, 2nd one same model. Its always in the cord that the problem arises. It seems to be a short or something since every time i move the wire just a hair it will "disconnect" and send my ffxi char into auto run in circles and spamming X key, which has caused many problems including a T3 wipe for znms..... my own luckily.

with that said since it always is the wire that is an issue i feel i should get a wireless controller and maybe it will last more then a yr. But I have no clue really about them.

A friend of mine told me ps3 controllers work on laptops and to get those as they are much higher quality. How is it that they work? Ive yet to actually play a ps3 and never looked at the new controllers lol.... Do they work off usb or something or is it bluetooth? My friend said its purely wireless no connection and thats kinda vague. He said I would need to DL a driver, not sure what that means either..... can you tell im not to tech savvy lol?

Anyhow what are your recommendations for a wireless controller for a pc gamer? I also need one that isnt purely battery driven.. is that even possible? Something that can charge off usb connection or some other way then pumping 2 batteries a week into it (i play ffxi alot). What do yall use currently?

Quote Originally Posted by azagarth View Post
    Ok so my wired controller I have from Loitech is shitting out on me again, 2nd one same model. Its always in the cord that the problem arises. It seems to be a short or something since every time i move the wire just a hair it will "disconnect" and send my ffxi char into auto run in circles and spamming X key, which has caused many problems including a T3 wipe for znms..... my own luckily.

with that said since it always is the wire that is an issue i feel i should get a wireless controller and maybe it will last more then a yr. But I have no clue really about them.

A friend of mine told me ps3 controllers work on laptops and to get those as they are much higher quality. How is it that they work? Ive yet to actually play a ps3 and never looked at the new controllers lol.... Do they work off usb or something or is it bluetooth? My friend said its purely wireless no connection and thats kinda vague. He said I would need to DL a driver, not sure what that means either..... can you tell im not to tech savvy lol?

Anyhow what are your recommendations for a wireless controller for a pc gamer? I also need one that isnt purely battery driven.. is that even possible? Something that can charge off usb connection or some other way then pumping 2 batteries a week into it (i play ffxi alot). What do yall use currently?
    the microsoft 360 controllers have worked like a charm for me. Although i'd say definitely go with the wired, the wireless reciever conked out on me within 2 weeks of playing

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

The PS3 controller works pretty well with FFXI, both wired or wireless. However, there's no official drivers to run it on a PC, so you have to find the 3rd party drivers. The wired driver is pretty easy to install since it's just running an installation file then running an executable when you want to use it. The wireless (bluetooth) driver is a little more difficult to setup and link up since it uses multiple programs and scripts to modify. Also, afaik it's only compatible with 32bit Windows.

The 360 controller on the other hand uses official drivers. I don't have any firsthand experience with this, but I believe it's either plug-n-play or a simple installation file you install. Not sure how the wireless on this controller goes though.

I would probably recommend the 360 controller. I've never liked the feel of 3rd party controllers, only the official console ones. Hope that helps a bit.

Canada
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mlle Skjie
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

Been rocking my wireless xbox controller for almost a year, the only thing is you have to use 3rd party drivers if you want rumble.

hmm xbox maybe an option, though ive been ps controler all my life lol....so will definitely take getting use too...

how do you guys bypass the battery problems? if there a way to recharge the controllers via usb or something?

halp

kay i just went and picked up the microsoft wireless controller (xbox360 controller) for pc. because i've been on ps2 and xbox for near five years on ffxi just now making it to pc @.@ i am not sure what i need to do to get the controller to work properly with ffxi. my computer reads the controller, but when i log into ffxi i get no reaction from my character via the controller only the keyboard. please lend a hand to a nooby ^^;

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Use the Gamepad config menu under FFXI config from within the Windows Start Button menu.

Your triggers will do jackshit for button assignments though since they read as one axis to games, rather than buttons/two independent axis. Can always use a key mapper program like xpadder though to fix that. (there's an older version of the program that's free)

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I use my PS3 controller. Like someone said above you'll need to go through a few steps to get it to work. Its kind of a bitch to get it to work and finally figured out. Sometimes it won't work because of your windows config. BUT, if you do figure it out, and you get it all up and running, its a breeze and its a sweet-ass controller too.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Dalaran

Quote Originally Posted by dannyl View Post
    I use my PS3 controller. Like someone said above you'll need to go through a few steps to get it to work. Its kind of a bitch to get it to work and finally figured out. Sometimes it won't work because of your windows config. BUT, if you do figure it out, and you get it all up and running, its a breeze and its a sweet ass-controller too.
    xkcd moment, sorry.