+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Black Friday deals?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Black Friday deals?

We're in the market for a new Desktop, since this one is going to shit. I was wondering if any of you would have any suggestions or recommendations as far as not only a good price, but good quality desktop on sale this year? It'll be 90% used for gaming.

Doesn't necessarily have to be Black Friday sales, if it's a decent deal. :D

Sorry to be such a noob in this area.

Thanks!

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Hard to say really. I'd be skeptical of black friday deals for pre-build desktops because well... they're usually all shit machines to begin with. If you want something decent I'd just buy direct from your favorite manufacturer.

Cheap machines are fine, as long you know what you're buying. Eg today's celerons are last year's PenDs etc...

Best thing to do is shop around and post on here the specs of what you're getting / including the price, we'll be glad to help =).

The adds for black friday are already out in many cases. You can see the PDF scans of them here: http://bfads.net/Adscans

See if anything looks good ahead of time. Maybe plan your shopping around that.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

go to newegg, can build a very nice computer for around 1k.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

and just a heads up... if you find a desktop at bestbuy or walmart that's on sale friday........ usually they only get 6-10 of them in, and people camp out thursday morning for them.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

yeah... to get first in line, the time has moved earlier and earlier each year

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=457576

Looking at this one right now, any thoughts?

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I'm with other posters, pick a manufacturer you like or go somewhere like newegg and build one. The problem I find most often with store bought PC's is crappy graphics cards/processors. Mostly crappy graphics cards, and as you want to use it for gaming, you really need to look at the specs. The one you posted only has a 256 graphics card which is pretty bad nowadays for good quality graphics imo. I'd find one with 512 at least personally. You can find a good one in stores, but you really need to look into the specs and usually pay for the good ones. I bought mine in a store and love it but I dished out $1k for it. And like jmcgarrell said, you can get some good deals during the holidays but the good ones are usually gone real early in the morning.

[2012: Year of the Whore]
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Chastiti View Post
    http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=457576

Looking at this one right now, any thoughts?
    Maybe someone else has a different opinion but that computer looks alright.. but the video card looks kinda scary. What do you plan on using the comp. for?

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

If you plan on using your PC mainly for gaming, then that Dell will need a video card and likely a new PSU to power it. You'd be looking at dumping around $200-$300 combined for both those upgrades. I'd keep looking, or as others have mentioned, build your own.

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Already begun prepping for Friday, my budget is like $100 including gas + food, so:
    Best Buy:
    V for Vendetta Blu-Ray ($8 )
    Gladiator Blu-Ray ($13)
    The Dark Knight DVD ($4)
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button DVD ($7)

Target:
    PS3 Dualshock Controller ($39)
    Western Digitial 1 TB External HD ($60) <---wish I could afford, but probably going to have to skip.

GF is going for a used PS2 for $40/50 at Gamestop, Dirt Devil Versa Power 3-in-1 Vacuum for $9 at Target, and some of Targets $3 appliances since she just got her first apartment, even if the appliances will likely be cheaply made.

Edit: Just realized this is tech forum ?_? Oh well.

WarkeDChocobo
    BG Level

$60 is a great deal on a 1TB HD, I might have to pick a few up. Anyone else know of any better deals out there on HDs?

[2012: Year of the Whore]
    BG Level

Wal-mart has one but.. it's like 70~ some odd bucks for a 1TB external HD. I don't feel like going an hour away and fighting traffic to save 10 bucks so that's what I'mma gonna get. x_x

WarkeDChocobo
    BG Level

$78 http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=12347237

Ugg, you've left me with a dilemma.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Why buy an external when you can get a faster and more reliable internal for the same price or better?

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Best spreadsheet EVER for black friday...

http://www.gophn.com//wp-content/upl...uide-Gophn.xls

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

^awesome

Okay, so my computer finally died so I hadn't had a chance to get back on here. I think the suggestions to build your own are our best bet, but I'm not really sure that I'm capable enough to do it on my own. Anyone want to take a challenge of building one on newegg with a price budget of $800? I just want to be able to play FFXI, FFXIV and general gaming. Not going to try to run Crysis on max settings, just enough to get by.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

My friend saw a commercial saying walmart would match any other store's black friday ad. Any truth to this?